bump
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I LOVE QUINOA! It's an amazing super food!

I start with the basics: Quinoa Pilaf
    Using a ratio of 1:1.5 (quinao to liquid) Saute shallot (or onion) in olive oil until translucent. Add quinoa and coat in oil. Add 1 sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf, salt and liquid. Bake in oven at 400 for 17 minutes. Perfect every time.

You can eat it just like that or add your favorite mix ins.

Roasted beets (cut top and bottom off, wrap in foil and bake at 400 for about 1hr, depending on beet size), balsamic vinegar and parsley

Steam zucchini, pine nut, and goat cheese

Black beans, corn, red bell peppers, cumin, garlic, cilantro

This list goes on and on. It's so versatile.
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :love:
  • stormywxs
    stormywxs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    HOW IS QUINOA PRONOUNCED???? :embarassed: Don’t want to sound like I’m ignorant (even though I am) when I go to the store and ask for it. Recipes sound great and I’ve heard good things about even though I don’t know how to say it.
  • KaraAnneMcD
    KaraAnneMcD Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is pronounces keenwa.
    The one from allrecipes.com with the black beans and corn is a regular at my house. It is awesome with fish or chicken baked with salsa!
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Quinoa, we've been making it for ages! I always toast it ahead of time, and it takes on an awesome nuttiness! This is my favorite which is an adaption of an Allrecipes post here: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/southwestern-quinoa-salad/Detail.aspx

Lindsy's Southwest Quinoa Salad:

1 cup quinoa
    1 tablespoon butter sub
    2 cups veggie broth
    1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
    1/2 cup diced red onion
    1 cup corn
    1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed well and drained
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    1 large tomato, diced
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice, or to taste
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    A dash of Chipolte peppers/and or Jalapeño peppers depending on your preferred level of spice.

Rinse the quinoa thoroughly under cold water, and drain. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook and stir the quinoa until the water has evaporated and the quinoa is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Pour in the broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the quinoa has absorbed all the broth, about 10 minutes. Cool quinoa in refrigerator at least 10 minutes.
    Mix together green pepper, red onion, corn, black beans, cilantro, tomato, lime juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, chipoltle seasoning, in a large salad bowl. Lightly stir in the quinoa, and season with salt, pepper, and additional lime juice to taste, if desired. Chill the salad at least 30 minutes before serving; serve cold.

Nutritional Info:

Serves 8. Calories per serving: 214 Carbs: 33 Fat: 6 Protein: 7

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/lindsy_03/DSC00293.jpg
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    THANKS!
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    OMG I have the best recipe for quinoa. It's super easy to make and it tastes like the insides of a Chipotle burrito.

NAME OF RECIPE: Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa

INGREDIENTS:
    * 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
    * 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    * 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    * 1 teaspoon sugar (I leave this out or use a packet of Splenda)
    * 1 cup quinoa
    * 1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    * 2 medium tomatoes, diced
    * 4 scallions, chopped
    * 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS: Whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.

Cook quinoa per instructions on the package.

Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

CALORIES PER SERVING: I calculated this out to

Calories 243
    Sodium 45 mg
    Total Fat 8 g
    Potassium 1 mg
    Saturated 3 g
    Total Carbs 35 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 5 g
    Monounsaturated 3 g
    Sugars 5 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 8 g
    Cholesterol 10 mg

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: See above. I make this religiously now and it's one of my favorite dishes. Even my boyfriend is hooked. We throw roasted chicken, cheese, light sour cream, salsa, avocado slices, etc. on top and it's a full meal. Very filling!

PICTURE (optional): I have one but I have no idea how to post a picture. Doh!

I can't wait to try this!
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    I'm trying to upload a photo, but, I can't figure it out. I already have the picture in my photobucket. Which of the codes do I need to use?
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to upload a photo, but, I can't figure it out. I already have the picture in my photobucket. Which of the codes do I need to use?

You want the link that says "Direct Link" :)
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options

Didn't work. :(
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

If you want to leave me the link I'll post it up for you :)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Turkey & Quinoa Meatloaf (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Turkey-and-Quinoa-Meatloaf/Detail.aspx)

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/4 cup quinoa
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 1 teaspoon olive oil
    * 1 small onion, chopped
    * 1 large clove garlic, chopped
    * 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
    * 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    * 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    * 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    * 1 egg
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    * 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    * 1 teaspoon water

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place the quinoa and the water in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

2. Preheat the oven to 350.

3. In a skillet heat the olive oil. Cook the onions for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.

4. In a large bowl combine the quinoa, turkey, onion mixture, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt, and pepper. Place into a loaf pan that you have sprayed with Pam.

5. Combine brown sugar, the rest of the Worcestershire, and water in a small dish. Brush over the meatloaf.

6. Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 219
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 5

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: Compared to meatloaf using beef, the turkey gets kind of dry. The reason I decided to make this dish is because I have been skeptical about quinoa and figured I would do something I knew I would enjoy. I really liked it and after having cooked the quinoa (and tasting a little) I am going to make something else with it in my next meal plan. Obviously in this dish it was really just a filler, but it was good and very low-cal! I served it with chickpea&spinach soup.

PICTURE (optional):

IMG_5130.jpg
  • coastalstorm25
    Options
    Super Delicious cake!!!

Moist Chocolate Cake

No one will believe this chocolate cake is made with cooked quinoa -- no flour required. It is kid-friendly and gluten-free.

Serves 8-16

2/3 cup white or golden quinoa

1 1/3 cups water

1/3 cup milk

4 large eggs

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled

1-1/2 cups white or cane sugar

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow the quinoa to cool.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease two 8-inch round or square cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper.

Combine the milk, eggs and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Add 2 cups of cooked quinoa and the butter and continue to blend until smooth.

Combine sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add the contents of the blender and mix well. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake on the centre rack for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan before serving. Frost if desired.

Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week or freeze for up to a month.

Heres the link from Canada.com
    http://www.canada.com/life/Crazy+about+quinoa/2961804/story.html
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Bump thanks can't wait ti try the breakfast recipe
    Last week I tried the alrecipe black bean one I tried dried beans( less sodium) for first time really did something wrong was bad really bad but now that I see all these great reviews I will try again. Thanks
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    Love quinoa! It took me a couple of times to get it right because I didn't know you had to rinse it first! If you don't, it tastes like dirt! Looking forward to trying some of these recipes!
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am going to try these! thanks for sharing!
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe for a breakfast quinoa, adapted from a 101cookbooks.com recipe.

NAME OF RECIPE: Nutty Cinnamon and Mixed Berry Quinoa

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup quinoa
    1 cup water
    1 cup light soy milk (any type of milk will work)
    2 cups frozen or fresh mixed berries (I used a mix of blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (can use more if you like more cinnamon)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or powdered vanilla aroma
    1/3 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts, but almonds or pecans would also work)
    4 teaspoons honey or agave nectar

DIRECTIONS:
    Combine milk, water and quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 15 or so minutes (until most of the liquid is absorbed). Turn off heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Stir in berries, cinnamon and vanilla. Serve in bowls, top with chopped nuts and drizzle a teaspoon of honey or agave nectar on top.

Also, you can make this with leftover quinoa, just skip the cooking part, heat up the quinoa and add the other ingredients.

CALORIES PER SERVING: Under 300, depending on how many nuts and how much honey you use.

HOW MANY IT SERVES: Serves 4, but can be reduced or increased.

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED: This was unbelievably delicious, surprisingly beautiful and very filling.

PICTURE (optional)

sounds good, i need to try this. thanks for sharing.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options

If you want to leave me the link I'll post it up for you :)

The link is in the post above. and thanks!