ok blonde question (no offence)

Options
Now when u enter a new product on the food list, the list has energy numbers, now for the blonde question..... is that the calories?

Replies

• hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have never seen these "energy numbers" ?!
  • Rollyrover
    Rollyrover Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    on the list of what it contains is where it says energy, well it does in New Zealand anyway
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I believe energy is the same as Kcalories. I bought a jar of pickles last week from dollar general, and a serving had 11grams of "energy". I hope it's the same, because that's how i've been counting it!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes! But I'm not sure if you guys use Kcalories (Calories), or calories, or Kjoules.
  • adristory
    adristory Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Blonde answer.... Is your setting on the metric system?
    Anywyas, energy should be calories
  • Rollyrover
    Rollyrover Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i been adding the energy as calories, so i hope thats right
  • I have never seen these "energy numbers" ?!

DITTO!
  • krixi
    krixi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm in australia, and all the food here has Kj (kilojoules) listed instead of calories. the kilojoules number is 4.2 times higher than calories - so, when i add my food into mfp i divide by 4.2 to get the calories. I have a feeling NZ would use kilojoules too? i guess just look at the number, if it's really high, then it's obviously kjs, if its low and would fit into your calorie alloted diet, then it's most likely calories.

in any case, yes "energy numbers" would be the same as either kilojoules or calories.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    energy=calories.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i've never heard of that before. i do know that a carb is 4 kcalories of energy, protein is 4 and fat is 9. they're probably just asking for total kcals.
  • krixi
    krixi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    kilojoules is the metric measurement of energy, whilst kcalories is the imperial measurement. this site is american, so it uses calories as the unit of measurement, but the food in countries that use the metric system will have kilojoules as the unit of measurement for energy.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    whoo hoo for the UK we have kcal and kjoules on our foods