How do you get more protein in without adding to many calori

Options
:smile: Ooops it cut off the last word. How do you get more protein in your diet without adding too many calories?

Replies

• d111285
    d111285 Posts: 1
    Options
    Great source of very lo cal protein is egg whites
  • melodyor2
    melodyor2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    a lean beef jerky too.

I like Jacks Links Peppered. (not beef sticks) I dont eat alot of meat....but it is full of protein and few calories.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    It's kinda hard just because of the calories per gram of protein.. But good ways would be to use unflavored protein powder in yogurt, protein shakes, nuts, peanut butter, eggs, turkey bacon, lunch meat (lotsa sodium tho), fish, protein bars, hummus.. and crap, you are right about 1 g protein = 4 calories.. I was thinking fat = 9 calories.. sorry!!
  • wildkiger
    wildkiger Posts: 25
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, and yogurt are good ways to get extra protein.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I like doing a protein shake with protein powder, 1/2 cup almond milk (only 30 cals!) and 1/2 c. water, and some ice cubes. Depending on what type of protein you're using, that's a tasty shake for about 150 calories :) Another great way to sneak it in is to mix protein powder into your oatmeal for breakfast.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I drink sugar free protein shakes and I use water instead of milk when I am close to my calorie goal.
  • JP_Abstract
    Options
    if not chicken, get whey protien from GNC or your local health suppliment store
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I also use a protein shake supplement - 200 calories and 40g of protein. Lean meats like venison, buffalo, and antelope are a GREAT source of lowfat protein. Lean chicken breast is always my go to.
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels Whey protein powder...whey protein is supposed to be easier for our bodies to absorb
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein (lean) = 4 calories.

Use a protein shake, but avoid the high carb/sodium alternatives like yogurt and other dairy.

check out egg whites international online for pure pasteurized egg whites.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The best way is seafood! Especially shrimp. Shrimp is VERY low in calories, but packs a real punch when it comes to protein.

Unfortunately I have the opposite problem where I'm under in calories, and over in protein :(
  • ccwicks
    ccwicks Posts: 39
    Options
    Agree - egg whites. grilled chicken, shrimp and musle milk
  • diggsgrl
    diggsgrl Posts: 2
    Options
    Better'n egg whites only have 60cal per container :)
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    a smoothie made with PLAIN greek yogurt. If u use the flavored greek yogurt, it tends to have a LOT of sugar, but the plain doesn't!
  • Mistykelly
    Mistykelly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do yogurt every day, I switched to Greek Yogurt, it does add a few more calories (60 if you are used to light yogurt), however A TON MORE PROTEIN!!!
  • Dauw
    Dauw Posts: 2
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about not getting enough protein. Most Americans actually get too much and don't even realize it. Too much protein can damage your kidneys. As long as you are eating a variety of foods then you shouldn't have to worry about getting enough protein. I am vegan (eat a plant-based diet) and never have a problem getting enough protein. Animal protein causes calcium losses, so vegetables, grains and beans give you plenty of protein. Protein is made up of amino acids. Each amino acid molecule is like a bead, and many amino acids together make up the protein chain. There are many different amino acids, and all of the essential ones are found in plants. But if you are interested in the numbers, simply divide your body weight (in pounds) by three. That gives you an approximation of the number of grams of protein your body needs, plus a margin for safety. Protein takes care of itself.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Egg whites, shrimp, talapia, Greek yogurt, turkey, lowfat cottage cheese.
  • BrendaSSteele
    Options
    Hello there, My name is Brenda and I just got encouraged by your post.

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss!!! Any special thing you did that made a significant change or just everything together?