• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Lindsyhitchens's Lindsy's Southwest Quinoa Salad:

DSC00293.jpg
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    This is for Peanut Butter Banana Quinoa Porridge. It's AMAZING!

INGREDIENTS:
    2 tbs dry quinoa
    1/2 cup water
    1 whole banana
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp blackstrap molasses
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup almond milk
    1 tbs milled flaxseed
    1/4 cup egg whites
    2 tbs peanut butter
    1 tsp honey

DIRECTIONS:
    Cook quinoa, add banana. Let it return to a boil, and stir/mash the banana until fully incorporated into porridge. Reduce heat, and add in cinnamon, blackstrap molasses, and vanilla. Add almond milk and flax, and stir until creamy. Slowly add in egg whites, and stir until fluffy. Increase heat for a half minute, stir. Remove from heat, top with peanut butter and honey.

SERVES: 1

CALS: 459 delicious, addictive calories.

OPINION: Uhm, I make it probably twice a week. It's fantastical! I LOVE PB and i LOVE bananas, and mmmmm :D

From: http://kaztronomic.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/peanut-butter-banana-quinoa-porridge-remix/
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've bought two boxes and have yet to make it..can't wait to see the recipes! What a great idea!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these great recipes everyone, I'm going to give some of them a try.

I have a few questions for you quinoa experts:
    - My market has different coloured quinoa - I'm sure I've seen a yellow and a red one and maybe black too. Any difference in taste, and which one would be better to start with.
    - I'd like to use it instead of rice to serve with casserole for lunch. Do you know if you can cook quinoa in a rice cooker?
    thanks!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    This is a recipe for a breakfast quinoa, adapted from a 101cookbooks.com recipe.

NAME OF RECIPE: Nutty Cinnamon and Mixed Berry Quinoa

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup quinoa
    1 cup water
    1 cup light soy milk (any type of milk will work)
    2 cups frozen or fresh mixed berries (I used a mix of blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (can use more if you like more cinnamon)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or powdered vanilla aroma
    1/3 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts, but almonds or pecans would also work)
    4 teaspoons honey or agave nectar

DIRECTIONS:
    Combine milk, water and quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 15 or so minutes (until most of the liquid is absorbed). Turn off heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Stir in berries, cinnamon and vanilla. Serve in bowls, top with chopped nuts and drizzle a teaspoon of honey or agave nectar on top.

Also, you can make this with leftover quinoa, just skip the cooking part, heat up the quinoa and add the other ingredients.

CALORIES PER SERVING: Under 300, depending on how many nuts and how much honey you use.

HOW MANY IT SERVES: Serves 4, but can be reduced or increased.

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED: This was unbelievably delicious, surprisingly beautiful and very filling.

PICTURE (optional)

Because of this cooking challenge I have a bunch of quinoa. I'm going to make this for breakfast!
  • stormywxs
    stormywxs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Here’s a variation of a recipe from this thread I adapted and tried last night. It was delish and really quick /easy. Also, there are only two of us, you may need to increase measurements to accommodate for your family.

1/3 cup Quinoa
    1 Cup Chicken or Veggie Stock
    ½ of 8oz. can Black beans
    ½ of 8oz. can Ro-Tel chopped tomatoes with jalapenos/onions (It comes in mild or spicy varieties)
    ½ cup frozen corn

Bring stock and rinsed quinoa to a boil then let simmer for about 15 minutes until most of the liquid is reduced. Then drain the beans and the secret ingredient (Ro-Tel). No seasoning was required because Ro-Tel did it all. Stir in beans, Ro-Tel and corn, heat until corn is ready and serve.

This actually makes more than the two of us should eat. I would guess about four real servings. However, we ate it all.:ohwell:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    This actually makes more than the two of us should eat. I would guess about four real servings. However, we ate it all.:ohwell:
    Should? Pshhhht! Sounds super healthy, filling and chock-full of fiber and goodness so I say eat lots! Great recipe mix-up :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I picked up a bag in the grocery store (literally picked it up, did NOT buy it) by Bob's Red Mill... you know the collection to see that it is NOT lower in cals or carbs than rice and it's $11, crazy!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    HOW IS QUINOA PRONOUNCED???? :embarassed: Don’t want to sound like I’m ignorant (even though I am) when I go to the store and ask for it. Recipes sound great and I’ve heard good things about even though I don’t know how to say it.

"keen-wa"
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    These are great ... thanks all for sharing! I have both regular and red quinoa available to me and not many people in my area are familiar with either ... but if they eat at my house, they will be! :)

I've made it like pilaf before, but never thought to make it into a breakfast food. I hate eating breakfast (but I do it!), so the more variety I have to choose from, the happier girl I am when I leave the house!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    This challenge ends tonight at 5PM PST! Make sure you enter by then so you will be included in the voting!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Time to vote!!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

Vote for which quinoa recipe is best by Wednesday 4/27 at 5PM PST.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa! Looking forward to seeing all the recipes. Great protein source.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Just because this is about quinoa haha..

Yesterday morning, 6 freaking am.. I tipped over my box on my counter -_- those little things went everywhere!
  • stormywxs
    stormywxs Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Yesterday morning, 6 freaking am.. I tipped over my box on my counter -_- those little things went everywhere!

Join the club. It's like cooking with BBs. It seems like some marketing designer has a diamond in the rough here if they designed a carton to corral and control these little run away orbs. Also, does anyone know where you can find a good deal on Quinoa. They seem to be more expensive than GAS around here. :mad: Maybe, after the quinoa awakening we're going through fades the price may come down.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Join the club. It's like cooking with BBs. It seems like some marketing designer has a diamond in the rough here if they designed a carton to corral and control these little run away orbs. Also, does anyone know where you can find a good deal on Quinoa. They seem to be more expensive than GAS around here. :mad: Maybe, after the quinoa awakening we're going through fades the price may come down.

Try buying in bulk at a grain store, if you have one nearby. We've got a little nutritional specialty store, similar to Whole Paycheck, but smaller and much cheaper. That's where I stock up on mine!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Gonna try the pilaf tonight!
  • msenn2692
    msenn2692 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    never heard of quinoa. will have to look for it in the grocery.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oooh, pilaf much nicer than anticipated, and fiance is already going "oh that would be great with...."
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!!