motivation going down the drain!

Options
i am fairly new at this, and my motivation is already gone! im young, and constantly with my friends, and the late night trips to mc donalds, tims ect is killing me! i have terrible self control! anyone else like this! i need ideas to keep me motivated

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, I have a deep love affair with middle-of-the-night drunk subway runs. Try to eat more (healthy) things during the day so that when you are out with your friends you don't feel as hungry, so when you stop by Tims or something you get like, 2 timbits instead of 2 donuts, etc. :)
  • rwillard78
    Options
    One thing I like to do is keep my motivation in front of me. Remember what you are doing this for. For me, it's my health. I am doing this so that I don't get diabetes. So I have to constantly think, I can eat this now, and where will it take me in the future? No where good. Just try to keep your motivation up close.
  • jdnmruff
    jdnmruff Posts: 3
    Options
    Try not drinking alcohol. It is so many calories and makes you have bad judgement so you eat more. Just an Idea!
  • brittanybotsford
    brittanybotsford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, it can be very tough. On top of that, fast food can be addicting, but if you can wean yourself off it will eventually just not sound appealing at all. But also, if you just make better choices, its not so bad. For example, get a grilled chicken sandwich and no fries.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi there...
    You need goals and comittments and then you need to stick with them.
    Why do you want to lose weight? What are you doing for exercise? What are your goals?

I dont mean just say I want to lose weight... but WHY?

For example for me when I started this journey it was because I refused to buy 3X clothing ... then it was because I wanted to get out 2X clothing.

Now every decision I make is about being healthier... I want to lose weight so I can run better, improve my times etc. Every decision I ask... will this help me reach my goals!

Its not about willpower ... its about planning and making steps towards a goal you want, you just have to figure out what that goal is!
  • ekbontje
    ekbontje Posts: 36
    Options
    Ah. I'm sad to say, every time I'm either out with friends or drinking (or both!), I make awful choices and derail my diet. I haven't figured out the secret. Except to hang with your friends in healthy ways, like going dancing or for a run, and meeting for a cup of tea instead of a beer.

If you figure out the solution, please let me know!
  • MoNiKa2113
    Options
    this may be totally strange but i post pics of motivatonal ppl like fitness models out of muscle and fitness mags in places i will see so it continually reminds me of outcome goals physically..im sure you could do the same with just a list of your goals..and im in college of course i am faced with wanting to make 2am stops by taco bell but like someone said earlier its ok if you watch what you eat earler in the day and you only do it on special occasions..and maybe only order 1 bean burrito instead of 2 haha
  • kayleighp23
    Options
    thanks! it's super hard not having my friends understand and support my goal to loose weight, so i really have no support from them or my family!
  • eabettin
    eabettin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm not so young anymore (48), so it's tough to take the weight off. I've followed the myfitnesspal to help keep me on track and I'm down 15lbs in just over a month. I was a big consumer of McD's, diet soda, anything with sugar, bread, etc... Using this to keep track is keeping my insulin levels down and keep my body from, instead of storing the fat, BURNING IT! Find a reasonable goal to get to (10lbs, for example) and then reward yourself when you reach it... not with food, per se, but something you like (that you can't eat). :laugh:

Good luck!

Eric
  • doitday
    doitday Posts: 59
    Options
    Ah. I'm sad to say, every time I'm either out with friends or drinking (or both!), I make awful choices and derail my diet. I haven't figured out the secret. Except to hang with your friends in healthy ways, like going dancing or for a run, and meeting for a cup of tea instead of a beer.

If you figure out the solution, please let me know!

I'm the same way...every since I started here at mfp, I've announced it to my friends and family, so that they know I'm loyal. My weekly dates "hangouts" went from dinning out to meeting up for drinks (alcohol), it's now graduated to a walk on a popular main street while we talk and sip on tea or coffee surrounded by lights and window shopping...soon it will be hanging out at home while we JUST DANCE on the wii.

My hang out buddies have now changed their behavior as a result to me changing mine. Be honest with yourself and friends, you might be amazed at what they are willing to do to support you! It's a win-win solution! (money saving too).

Don't get me wrong, we still go out for dinner and/or drinks, but they are planned...not spontaneous anymore like before. Good luck!
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What I've decided to do is to budget my calories for my evening before I go out. It's a friend's birthday tonight, so I've already worked out the calories for 6 beers, and taken that off my total for the day to make sure that I have a goal to work towards even when I'm out.

The willpower can become an issue after a couple of drinks, especially when those junk food cravings kick in, but I've been trying to look at the situation and think to myself, "What will be more gratifying? Having this unhealthy junk food that might provide an immediate rush, but which is going to make me regret it tomorrow morning, or waking up tomorrow morning knowing that I avoided going down that path and stuck to my goals".

So far at least, I've been able to keep myself motivated with this method.