Staying on Track away from HOME!?!?!?!

Options
My mind works on Overtime alll the time! Long story short Hubby has started "vacation" talk and I am not being very supportive do to the fear of falling off track!! I am still working on staying on my newly found routine as it is! Am I being selfish and any ideas about how to stay on track?? :glasses:

Replies

• Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm worried for that too. The idea I'd say is to still be able to log on everyday to track your calories. Exercise whenever possible while on vacation (it isn't too hard when you're sight seeing all day or swimming). Buy groceries there if you have a place to cook so that most of your meals are still made by yourself and you know what's in them. You also save money that way!
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern because we're moving in 2 weeks and have to drive from Alaska to Texas. With 10+ hOurs in the car every day for a week I'm a little concerned about my diet/exercise and how it will affect the progress I've made so far.
  • Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    Also, before you go, look up websites nutrition facts for places you know you'll be eating at, or want to eat at. Many places now have nutrition facts so that you can plan ahead. That way, you can plan your days out around where you're eating and can still stay within your calories!
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am on vacation right now and facing what you're fearing! I am still logging daily, and trying my best to log accurately!

With food: It helps a lot if restaurants have their nutritional info online so you can be correct, but I find myself searching for restaurants that are in the data base and have similar menu items. I always check the MFP database for the nutritional info and how many confirmations they have. Hopefully, these are fairly close in counts!

For Exercise: I'm doing A LOT of walking (although the weather is hampering efforts), albeit much slower pace than my exercise rate, and logging that too. I didn't bring my HRM, so I log the time, and cut about 1/3 - 1/2 of the calories that MFP calculates I burned because I feel their estimates are too high.

I guess the scale will show how accurate I was when I get back - at the very least I'll hope not to have GAINED anything! :ohwell:

You've been at this awhile now, so you should have a pretty good sense of what to eat or not - it's just making the right decision or not (almost had the roasted veggies tonight, until the waiter said how great the mashed potatoes were - just didn't eat them all!).
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I went to Mexico for two weeks in Nov. I gained a couple of pounds....I was careful of what I ate, but did have a bite of dessert evey night. We kept busy during the day. It was a HUGE resort we walking everywhere. It was a all inclusive resort.....and I thought I did pretty good.

2639362.png
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Get a game plan now for the time when you're faced with a choice between Taco Bell, McDs, Wendy's, Applebee's & Outback. (Blegh.) I take snacks with me and lots of water. That way it's easier to say, "let's go a few more miles" instead of "I'm starving now, get me a Big Mac, STAT!"
  • snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Walk everywhere you can! We went to Italy a few months ago and ate 2 HUGE meals a day (plus wine) but because we were on our feet the whole time, I ended up losing 3 pounds.

I like to make lunch the big meal of the day - I think it's easier to find healthy menu options for lunch than for dinner at many restaurants.

The idea of taking your own snacks is a great one! You know what you're eating, you have it with you to eat when you're actually hungry and you don't have to spend money on it.

Also - have fun! That's what vacations are for!
  • Chynadoll00
    Options
    Good morning and Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice! After reading all the wonderful tips I am breathing a lot better about it NOW! Please feel free to add me as a friend and I will keep everyone posted on my journey since he is thinking Vacation very shortly from today! Best of Blessings to everyone
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm on vacation right now, and it is challenging. I personally am not logging my food, but also only allowing myself one special meal per day, the rest of the day I am trying to stay on track. Healthy snacks in hotel room is key. I also found the hotel gym which I am putting to good use. You aren't being selfish, but I think that part of the lifestyle change is learning to fit everything , including vacation into it. It also feel so much better to be on vacation in a body that I am proud of, and to not feel weighted down and bloated with bad food all the time. Just enjoy yourself. Splurge and enjoy, then get back to the program.