5'2 LADIES

Options

Replies

• Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    im not 5' 2"! i am 5 foot 8 inches! but i still have the same problem. i am 125 pounds and i have been stuck there for a few weeks now. its kinda beginning to get on my nerves. i cut back and i cut back and i get diddly squat results.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I'm (almost) 5'2 and the best advice I can give you is to add in weight lifting. And I don't mean cute little pink dumbbells either. Build some muscle and you will not only shed weight, but totally change your body composition. I already had a good foundation for lifting so I didn't use this, but I've heard some good things about "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Cassandra Forsythe (I think that's her name.)

This!!!

Muscle burns fat and raises your resting metabolism. The more muscle you have, the more fat you naturally burn. I'm nearing the end of The New Rules of Lifting for Women program and I'm starting to see the muscle definition in my body. Highly recommend it.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you're 5'2 and eating 1200 net calories per day, you can expect to lose less than 1 lb per week. It will be slow going, but you should still be able to lose weight. When you are this close to your maintenance calorie requirement, though, any small mistake in calculating exercise or food calories will have more impact, making it even harder to lose weight. For now, you're around the middle of your healthy weight range, so that's good at least!
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    I'm 5' 2" as well and *VERY* small-boned. My wrist is only 5 1/4" around. Back in my college sorority days, I weighed 100-105 but that was really too thin because my collarbone jutted out. More recently, I've been yo-yoing between 110 and 125. Current goal is ~110 so that I can fit into the dress I want to wear to my sister-in-law's wedding June 4th. My maintenance weight goal is 112-115.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    5' 2.5 here. Started on here at 120-121. First goal was 115 and second, probably final is 110. My base calories are 1640 because I work out a lot. Once I add exercise that base goes up to around 2200. I usually eat almost all exercise calories, never leaving more than 100. Last weigh in I was 111.8. When I was set at the 1200 mark, I lost a few pounds and then stopped. Since upping my Cal's, I've lost again.
  • LeahBeah12
    LeahBeah12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started working out 4-5x a week in February and have lost about 10 lbs since them. I'm 5'2" and 130lbs right now. I'd like to be 120-125.

I have a bunch of Jillian Michaels workout DVDs and I just rotate through them, switching back and forth between the ones that have weights and the ones that are mainly cardio. I also push my daughter in the stroller for walks when it is nice out. I agree with changing up your routine. I've lost the weight by consistently working out and altering my routine and now counting my calories on MFP.

If you want to lose body fat you really need to incorporate some kind of resistance training and use weights. Sounds like you are "skinny fat" where you are at a good weight, but you need to build more muscle. I think that's what your doctor is getting at. It does sound like you are at a healthy weight to me though.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Not an expert by any means but maybe cut down on the cardio and focus a little more on the strength training? This seems to be the general consensus sround these parts! I'm within 12 lbs of my goal and this is what I'm starting to do so we shall see. Good luck and hang in there!
  • Alannah1980
    Alannah1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This seems like as good of a place to start my first post on MFP, soooo Hello! I am also 5'2 but I need to lose quite a bit more weight than the OP. I am just starting out on MFP and would so love to have some women with similar goals. My ticker is set for 40lbs but I would really just like to get comfortable with my body again and there really isn't a set weight for me, I will know when I get there :). If anyone would like to add me as a friend that would be wonderful since I am new here. Also good luck to you OP, and don't mind people who think 125 sounds good enough, you and your doctor should know what is best for your health.
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Bump.... to comment on later.
  • gratenni1
    gratenni1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    Yes i am having the same problem. I exercise a lot also and sometimes i surprise myself with all the things i do that is physical. I decided that i was going to put my diary out to friends so that they can detect what i am doing wrong. Are you willing to be honest and put it out there to view. I swear to be truthull.:smooched:
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    well you certainly seem to be losing the weight! you look really great! keep it up
    im not as concerned about the weight, it's more that I'd like to feel comfortable in my body and I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and she said my % body fat is high so I need to build muscle i guess...
    Start weight lifting, fastest way to lose body fat!...eat more at least 1600 calories before exercise
    good luck!...
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you're 5'2 and eating 1200 net calories per day, you can expect to lose less than 1 lb per week.
    I completely agree from my experience, I eat 900-1000 net daily, but a lot of people seem to get angry about that here!

I'm 5'1", started at 141 now 133. I am aiming for 115 although I know it might be hard to get right down to that. I have been much skinnier than that before through an ED so I know obviously I am capable of losing weight...but as to whether I can do it through my own choice and while still eating proper regular meals I am unsure.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yup..thats pretty much where i was..i wasnt losing..the 1200 cal thing is a myth btw.

so..what i did..was i lifted for 40 mins and did cardio for 50 mins EVERY day. i took a fat burner called lipo 6 black hers. i didnt eat back my cals..my cal limit was 1300..just because i didnt want to feel starved and binge (which is the reason behind the 1200 cal myth).

i just bumped up my workouts, and really really watched what i ate..i got down to 117. but now i'm bulking so i'm eating 1900-2000 cals a day to build muscle. ps i'm 119-120 now..i've gained about 2 lbs of muscle in the past 3 months. which is normal. but to build muscle you need to eat above your maint. cals.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm 5ft2, and i've got a looong way to go! 115lbs seems so incredibly light to me. but as long as you feel good and healthy. but i understand that weights will help you to sculpt what you already have.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I started at 159.6 and currently 135.8 (as of this morning!). My goal is 115...I don't think that's too low for my height...that's actually average I thought? I would also suggest weight lifting. You need to change up your routine because your body is probably used to the cardio now. Throw in a good 30 - 40 minutes of strengthening into your weekly routine. You'll shed weight and look toned!

Good luck!
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey - another 5'2 lady here! My CW is 142 - goal weight is 125. I am very active and workout at least 5 days a week. I would suggest a bootcamp workout and also, switching up your cardio every week. My trainer says to switch up your workouts - very important. Also, not sure what your diet is like but what works for me is eating every 3 hours - lots and lots of protein, low sugar and carbs. I have fallen off the wagon a bit as I am recovering from surgery but am very anxious to get back into the gym! Would like to hit 125 but not sure if that's easily maintainable. I was 115 my senior year in high school and in my early 20's.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    5' 2", started at 159, first goal was to get to 140 and re-assess. I did that and have now set goal to 135. I think I'd be happy to stay in the range of 9 1/2-10 stone (133-140 lbs).
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You all have more than convinced me about the strength part of my workouts. I vow to get serious about building muscle!!!!!!

My initial goal is still 135, but I will also reassess WHEN (not if) I get there. I have a medium sized frame, and I have been comfortable at 135 in the past (it puts my BMI inside the healthy range). When I was in college I was down below 110 (and got there not in a healthy way) - I absolutely could not maintain that. I'm a lot older now, and really don't care about the number. I have 1/2 closet full of size 6 clothes that I want to be able to wear again.

I'm not having any problem staying at 1200 cal - but I often don't eat back my exercise calories. After lurking on other boards, I think I'm supposed to be eating more. I tend to eat more calories through between-meal healthy snacks rather than actual sit-down meal time. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    Hi! I'm around 5'2-5'3 and currently weigh around 111-112. I don't necessarily have a set workout. I try to lift 3x a week, run 3x week and have been doing JM's 30DS on and off. I think it's important to have strength training and I admit I sometimes don't as much as I should. I really want to change my body composition, rather than focus on the numbers. I was so focused on numbers, but when I reached a certain weight, I didn't like the way I looked. That's when I stepped up the lifting. I bought a book called "New Rules of Lifting for Women" about a year ago and follow some of the workouts. It's pretty useful with planned workouts so i don't have to try to make one up myself. I would check it out if you have time =)
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You all have more than convinced me about the strength part of my workouts. I vow to get serious about building muscle!!!!!!

My initial goal is still 135, but I will also reassess WHEN (not if) I get there. I have a medium sized frame, and I have been comfortable at 135 in the past (it puts my BMI inside the healthy range). When I was in college I was down below 110 (and got there not in a healthy way) - I absolutely could not maintain that. I'm a lot older now, and really don't care about the number. I have 1/2 closet full of size 6 clothes that I want to be able to wear again.

I'm not having any problem staying at 1200 cal - but I often don't eat back my exercise calories. After lurking on other boards, I think I'm supposed to be eating more. I tend to eat more calories through between-meal healthy snacks rather than actual sit-down meal time. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Muscle is definitely key. I've been doing P90X for over a year now, just started up another round on Monday. Even after all this time, I still get sore and it still produces more and better results. I've got a very small frame so anything above 115 really shows on me =\. I normally don't focus on the scale but I wasn't even losing inches before and I wanted to see the muscle I had worked so hard to build. They're definitely popping more now and I know once I start building more from lifting heavier and heavier that the scale will most likely move up again and I'm fine with that. As long as my body is small and tight then the number on the scale can be whatever. I won't go back to having the number on the scale be super low but not have a nice hard body. I love having people ask me what I do for a work out because they see how toned my arms are, and it's not from lifting light weights. For me, it's go heavy or go home haha.