I have a few questions about Barefoot Running.

Options
I'm planning on starting C25K today (and I plan to actually stick to it this time) , I've also heard a lot about barefoot running in the past week or so and have become rather interested in it because i've heard its better for your form and reduces the risk of injury.

The only worry I really have is stepping on some glass and cutting my foot up but apart from that the benefits of barefoot running seem to outweigh that of running with shoes.
I was just wondering what the best way to get started was,I can't afford any new gear at the moment so those minimalist shoes are out of the question.
I live right near the beach/some lovely sand dunes so if I just walked barefoot down to the beach and started running on the beach/dunes would that be a good way to start? I'm figuring it would minimise the impact on my joints and stuff.

I've jogged/ran on the roads before but being too near traffic when I'm running annoys me, I wish I lived near my boyfriends (near Cark in the Lake District) because there are some beautiful trails to run on/jog/walk/hike/bike on but where I live there aren't nearly as many.

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice (or experience in barefoot running as I live in a big city), but I'd love to read the replies you get! I have heard though that for people with certain foot issues (pronation), that running barefoot *isn't* the better option, as your foot needs support! That being said, running on sand is great for your calves! :flowerforyou:
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    hi. i know a bit about barefoot running- mainly that i can't afford the shoes and i would not literally go barefoot! i like the idea though. but for me, i can think of nothing more difficult than running on sand, and that is not where i'd begin. if you want to stick to something, it needs to be practical and reasonably easy to do (at the same time as being a bit of a challenge iykwim).

i just pound the pavement round where i live. i wear budget running trainers (i didn't know if i'd stick at it so refused to spend the money on expensive ones- now my goal is to get some!). i just put on my ipod and watch, along with clothes:-). i write on the back of my hand what i'm meant to be doing time wise.

i'm just about at the end of the c25k (4 runs left!) so if you want to friend me feel free. i'd love to support you through this!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    One of the answers is Vibram Five Fingers
  • nienhulm
    nienhulm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford the Vibram Five Fingers, you might want to stick to running in regular trainers for a while. You know that old phrase, before you can run you must walk? Well, its definitely true for barefoot running. If your feet aren't used to being barefoot you'll need to get them used to it by walking barefoot on rough terrain to develop calluses. This takes quite a while and can be a painful process. After my next race I'm going to be switching to the barefoot technique because I'm a hard heel striker and I've read that minimalist shoes can really help with that particular issue, but I've been advised to start slow. Wear the shoes around my house and while walking for a while, then gradually start to build up some running mileage. If you plow straight into barefoot running without any prep, you could end up causing some serious pain to your feet.

Running on sand is definitely great for those calves though!
  • JoEllen92
    JoEllen92 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If I could afford Vibram's then I'd get them but until I get a job my age old nike's will have to do. I'm thinking of maybe running in the dunes but wearing my trainers for now and then gradually going to doing a few minutes or so without them each time to build up my strength.
    The dunes are lovely,there's boardwalks to so it's not all sandy hills , I just find going out for a run/jog on the road really boring. I much prefer to be where there's less traffic/people.
    I will add you Bonjour :)
  • nienhulm
    nienhulm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan. Wish I was a little closer to the beach so I could do that too.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    hi. i know a bit about barefoot running- mainly that i can't afford the shoes and i would not literally go barefoot! i like the idea though. but for me, i can think of nothing more difficult than running on sand, and that is not where i'd begin. if you want to stick to something, it needs to be practical and reasonably easy to do (at the same time as being a bit of a challenge iykwim).

i just pound the pavement round where i live. i wear budget running trainers (i didn't know if i'd stick at it so refused to spend the money on expensive ones- now my goal is to get some!). i just put on my ipod and watch, along with clothes:-). i write on the back of my hand what i'm meant to be doing time wise.

i'm just about at the end of the c25k (4 runs left!) so if you want to friend me feel free. i'd love to support you through this!

Oh yes, running on sand may be extremely tiring but is perfect for toning!
    I love the idea of bare foot running, especially as since I started jogging I have been having problems with my toe joints.

How much are these Vibram 5 fingers? It hasn't really taken off here in the UK...I don't think so anyway. Any UK bare foot runners?

Sorry for all the questions! :flowerforyou:
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford the Vibram Five Fingers, you might want to stick to running in regular trainers for a while. You know that old phrase, before you can run you must walk? Well, its definitely true for barefoot running. If your feet aren't used to being barefoot you'll need to get them used to it by walking barefoot on rough terrain to develop calluses. This takes quite a while and can be a painful process. After my next race I'm going to be switching to the barefoot technique because I'm a hard heel striker and I've read that minimalist shoes can really help with that particular issue, but I've been advised to start slow. Wear the shoes around my house and while walking for a while, then gradually start to build up some running mileage. If you plow straight into barefoot running without any prep, you could end up causing some serious pain to your feet.

Running on sand is definitely great for those calves though!

I don't know if I entirely agree, because the thing about barefoot running is that you have to unlearn heel strike. Calluses, so that your feet become like soles is not the entire answer. If you keep on wearing regular shoes, you'll still run with heelstrike: it's almost impossible to unlearn it that way. And yes, walk barefoot first, but I would not risk my feet getting injured by stuff lying around.