Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HIIT training

Hi everyone!
I'm kind of newer here, and I've been wondering about HIIT training.

I started my intense weight loss journey in January, and since then I've lost about 20 pounds. I still have about 48 to go to my "magic" number of 122 (but it's up for negotiation once I get to 140 I think).
I've hit a MASSIVE plateau at 170 (on my 5'4" frame, not a great place to plateau). I've been about 170 for a month ish now.

I thought about incorporating HIIT training into my cardio schedule. I do about 50-100 minutes of cardio and 60 minutes of weight a day, and I thought HIIT training may help me get past my plateau. Problem is, the first time I tried it, I didn't burn any more calories than usual according to the treadmill I was on.

My question for you guys:
Have you done HIIT training, and have you been successful? How did you start?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    I love HIIT workouts! I've had some pretty good luck. You don't burn as much in one workout, but you burn longer which is nice. It really ramps up your metabolism. I got started by doing Turbo Fire.

Also, you have to watch the calories you burn on a treadmill. They can be WAY off. I used my Bodybugg on one once and the treadmill showed about 500 more calories burned than my BB. I noticed when I would just stick to the numbers on the machine I wouldn't lose any weight. I got the BB and realized I'm not actually burning what I thought.
  • ashkaps
    ashkaps Posts: 32
    HIIT training is really good for you as it burns more calories after you have finished your workout. I do it around 2 times a week on the treadmill just to get my body into a mode where it doesn't know what's happening because your heart rate keeps fluctuating. That's what you want - your heart rate to be really high at points and then at a normal rate back to high down back to normal etc etc. I would give it a go even if it's for 10-20 minutes.

Good luck.
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    With HIIT training, it's generally a shorter workout because of its intensity, and you have amazing afterburn. When I do a HIIT workout, my heart rate isn't back to normal for about 15 minutes.