What made you chose your goal weight?

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    I selected the weight on my drivers license.

LOL! Love it. In Canada, we don't have our weight! I remember when I got my passport updated though, I lied about my weight (lowered it by about 15lbs!), and now, I'm ACTUALLY lower than the lied-weight, by about 15lbs!! Go figure :laugh:
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    bmi is worthless

body fat percentage is better.

i go on how my body looks, not weight

That's what I did. I want to achieve a certain body fat %. I also want to start adding muscle. When I reach the weight that will get me near the bodyfat, I'm looking for, then I will adjust my goals accordingly.
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    My ULTIMATE goal weight is my "ideal" BMI weight...but I'd be happy anywhere between that and my highest healthy BMI weight, depending on how I feel/look when I get there :)
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    I chose the weight i remember being happy with. Half a stone heavier than i was at my thinnest when everyone told me i was too thin, but i weight i think i can maintain without being silly and extreme
    Pretty much same here, I was still self conscious about my belly in a bikini at that weight, half a stone lighter some said I was too thin so final goal will be somewhere between the two but will see how I look
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    I chose a weight 9 pounds under the top end of my healthy BMI. That way, if I gain a couple pounds after I get to my goal weight, I won't immediately be overweight again.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    my main goal (not including my mini goals) is to get to pre-pregnancy weight.

once i reach that i'm going to go for the weight i was when i was a single gym junkie...
  • I initially chose a weight where I remember feeling good and looking good, but was realistic. My gym has a "tanita" scale, which measures your fat, muscle, bones, etc. and gives you a goal weight for your height and age. Mine is 5lbs less than my original goal. I was very happy with that # because I think it's realistic and totally do-able. I have about 50lbs to go to get there!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    I have actually changed my goal weight (lowered it by 5lbs).

112lbs for my height and body shape is just about right and puts me into size 8/10 (UK) This is my 'happy' weight and although it's quite low I certainly don't look too thin / unhealthy when I am there.

I didn't think I'd be able to get back to 112 though, so my initial GW was 117... I wanted to see how I found the experience and how I felt about myself etc.... I am currently 119 and hope to get my new GW by June?? Not big deal of I don't though. I am just happy to be on my way :-)
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    My go-to site for fatloss info is www.fat2fitradio.com.

Their recommendation is to get to the high end of 'Healthy' BMI category and from there you can work on Body Fat % goals. I used their calculator to work backwards from Body Fat % goals to figure out my goal weight.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

^ While their calculator is handy, I looked around at other charts, etc. I might change goals to get into a more athletic % of BF, but that would be too daunting for me now! :laugh:
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    I chose my goal weight to have a healthy BMI i weigh 201.0 now and my goal weight is 125 ~ I have along way to go but will get there!
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    I figured if a healthy BMI was 112-150 I would pick somewhere in the middle so I am not always "on the verge" of being overweight. I decided on 135 because it was 100lbs less than my heaviest weight. Once I get there...I'll decide if another 10 needs to go or not;). I don't think I've weighed that since I hit puberty...so I have no idea what I look like at 135 (hope to find out soon:)
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    I picked mine because I figured at 160 I feel pretty good with myself. It also turned out to put me in the Healthy range of the BMI which has made it even better to me! I haven't been 160lbs in a very long time, me and my husband plan on trying for a second baby this fall and after that pregnancy I will probably try to get down between 140-150.
  • 225 is what my sambo instructor told me would be my optimum weight for fighting :-)
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    My goal is based on fitness standards for active duty military. I know where I fit on the the Air Force's charts back in the day, so I'm giving myself the grace to aim for the higher end now. These standards have become much tougher than when I was in!

So, my current goal weight is what I would like to achieve this year. I hope to switch my goal from weight to body fat percentage in 2012.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/
  • lbtewksbury
    lbtewksbury Posts: 147 Member
    I want to be a size 8, I am comfortable in a 10 now so I am thinking 10 more pounds and I should be in an 8, anybody in an 8 that's 5"9", I'd love to know how much you weigh.
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    I chose a weight 9 pounds under the top end of my healthy BMI. That way, if I gain a couple pounds after I get to my goal weight, I won't immediately be overweight again.

My strategy exactly
  • I want to wear a particular dress in my closet to my sister-in-law's wedding on June 4th. My maintenance goal is 2-5 lbs. higher than what I think I'll need to be to wear that dress. That's the weight that I've been able to maintain before without killing myself IYKWIM.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    I picked the lowest weight that I can be while still being at a healthy BMI, which for me is 99 pounds (I'm only 5'1")

Though of course it depends if you listen to the people who call a healthy BMI 18 or 20 so I went inbetween the two.
  • Delaina1
    Delaina1 Posts: 168 Member
    I selected the weight on my drivers license.

I also chose the weight on my drivers license, which happens to be the weight that I was when I was 16! It is 125, however, if and when I ever make it to that weight I will probably change it to 119. I have never been below 135 in my adult life until now. I'm only 5' tall so 119 isn't all that skinny for me!
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    i started at 171.4. i wanted to be 115lb, and my healthy weight is 124.5 according to bmi. so me and my boyfriends mom talked and decided i would make my goal weight 120lb. (i made a bet with them by the way that i would make it to 120lbs by my birthday sept 17.) then if i want or need to i can go up or down from there. i am 5'2 and it has been 5 years since i was 117lbs. so i am still not sure bout final weight but i kno i am gonna get there and be happy. good luck to all of u on ur goals.
This discussion has been closed.