I really need some support

Options
And lets add ecouragement to that. I have been on this site for 15 days today. I have been changing my eatting habits, working out more (mainly walks) and lost over 10 pounds my first week. I gained 4 this week and I seem to feel like no matter what I have less energy than I did before. I just feel down in the dumps about this past week. I need some support and encouragement to bust through this.:ohwell:

Replies

• misoli80
    misoli80 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on the same boat as you! fell off the wagon for a good few weeks. I need some support as well especially when it comes to working out. If you want to add me as a friend we can do it together.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    We all have ups and downs. You are not alone! Being female sucks monthly too!!! I am happy to encourage and motivate you! Add me if you'd like! :flowerforyou:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You can do it! 10 lbs in a week is a lot, so maybe you just need to back off just a bit. Make sure you are eating enough calories to sustain your activity. As you become more active, you really need to make sure you are getting the right fuel. 2 weeks is a great start, but remember this is a life changing thing and changing your life takes time and effort. Make small committments to yourself each day and stick with it. Keep up the great work.

2 weeks ago you weighed 6 lbs more than you do now and that is great!!!
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Everyone hits a little bit of a wall now and then, hon. Things like the time of the month can affect your weight by a couple of pounds, too, so perhaps it's not as big a gain as you think? And don't forget your clothes - I weighed myself with jeans on and jeans off, recently and the difference was a whole kilo!

As long as you keep working at it, keep eating sensibly and get your exercise in, you will do it. :)
  • Bex_zic
    Bex_zic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    hey!
    Are you eating the right food? salad is good to eat, but there nothing there to give you energy! You need the right mix, I tried just eating salad and 'pure healthy' stuff and i felt so rough. Add some bread or something and it may help.
    Don't get disheartened, you've done soooo well! You're in the double figures of weight loss! be proud of yourself!
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    Congratulations on your new lifestyle and the pounds already lost. That is amazing. We all feel tired at times so remember that your not alone in your feelings of discouragement. the most important thing is to keep moving despite the losses and the gains. One thing i always tell myself whenever i add a pound or two, i tell myself that first and foremost i will never see 242lb on the scale again, that was my starting weight. secondly i tell myself to keep moving, thats all you can do, quitting is not an option. All the best and good luck with your weight loss journey
  • DIDGERID00DUDE
    Options
    If you have changed your eating habits for the better, and increasing your physical fitness rate, 4 lbs could be just water weight. Make sure you weigh yourself in the morning after you slept but do it WEEKLY not everyday b/c that is discouraging when you dont see the scale move. I get anxious and want to but i hold off b/c by the next week, ive got a grin b/c i see the weight dropping. Just keep your chin up and just know that if you're doing things right, something is bound to happen. Its impossible for a person to eat healthy and workout and not have your body take benefit. Keep on keepin on!!! ;)
  • kateland47
    kateland47 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You've just started. This is just the beginning of your journey to a healthier you. We all have weeks where we don't see the progress and we're frustrated and we don't feel like keeping up the work. The important thing is to keep going. No matter what the scale says you are working for a healthier lifestyle. You can do this!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    please dont give up! i have went through the same thing over and over again! the scale can really mess up your balance! how often do you weigh yourself? i was weighing myself everyday, which in the end just made me sad because some days i would be down some days up. Its probably best to just weigh yourself weekly so that the water weight and actual weight loss balances out. Dont stop! We can do this! Technically in less than 2 weeks you have lost 6 pounds! I will add you as a friend and we can motivate each other!
  • SeaShell33
    SeaShell33 Posts: 141
    Options
    Just keep walking and eating right. I felt the same way in the beginning, I just kept moving and now I cant stop. It will happen, your body and mind will make that shift...so dont give up!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Ok. Here's my two cents. Take it from someone who knows about this--and let's face it, pretty much everyone who is here knows something about the frustration of losing weight--when I first joined MFP I started doing the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and counting my calories religiously. I was shredding 3-5 times a week, plus doing about 15-20 minutes on the elliptical 5 times a week. For some reason I expect the weight to come flying off, and when it didn't, I got discouraged. I was only paying attention to the scale (which had decreased by 38 pounds) and wasn't paying attention to the way my clothes were fitting, how I was no longer out of breath from walking up two flights of stairs, or how I wasn't as tired and cranky anymore. I ignored all of the little changes and focused on the fact that I was still considered "obese" and eventually got so discouraged that I stopped logging and stopped exercising. DON'T DO WHAT I DID! Yes, you lost a lot in the first week, and that's amazing! But the first week is usually a rather larger number and the following weeks are almost always going to be smaller. Be proud of what you've accomplished already. A loss is a loss is a loss, and even if you've only lost .5 pounds (or heck, even if you haven't lost a single ounce!) you still haven't gained. And you're on the right track, and taking the right steps to better yourself. Keep it up and stay motivated. I promise you it will be worth it in the end!
  • LeahHarrison
    Options
    I've been on 3 weeks. Now speaking to a few people, when you change your habits and start drinking a lot of water, your body expels stagnant fluid and that's a majority of your weight loss in the first couple of weeks. Start using the site to look at your nutrition levels and your eating habits. I have a lot more energy and that's because luckily I have a lot of external and professional support.

Dont just count the calories. Are you getting enough iron and calcium, do your carbs come from bread and pasta or do they come from vegetables? Do you eat breakfast?

I used to have about 8 cups of coffee and then perhaps have something to eat at about 1 and then something to eat at dinner time.....mind you what I ate was a whole lot of crap and I'd eat 3 peoples worth of food in one sitting. Focus on the health aspect rather than the calories. It's no good having 8 cups of coffee and then a big lasagne and being under your calories. Your body will go into 'starvation mode' , everything will turn to fat because your body is preparing itself for the times you dont eat.

Split your food diary into time slots and work at trying to get a balanced nutrition level and calorie amount into each time slot. Dont be too concerned about protein levels being too high, just try and get your sugar and carbs under control. 'Unnatural carbs' like bread and pasta are bad.....it is a challenge to get rid of them completely at first, I am having trouble. Swap pasta for either wholemeal or basmati rice. Over time make the amounts smaller.

Try and get your carbs from oat bran and vegetables. Make sure there is protein in every time slot, it stops you getting hungry. If your iron levels are low, sprinkle some 'chia' seeds into your meal. Try and start to adapt your calories and carbs so that you are getting more in the morning than the rest of the day.

Obviously Im still in learning phase, I am still adapting to changing everything around, but these habits are slowly but surely becoming natural. If you are finding it difficult to exercise, try swimming, but go to a lesson so that you are committed. Swimming is non impact and works every muscle, it also teaches you to breathe properly....thus is relaxing.

Create a 'why' diary. Why do you want to do this?? My main why is that I was aging before my time and I had no energy to have fun...no energy to live life. If this is your focus, if you can make health your focus rather than being skinny, you will get much further. Find physical ways to have fun. Its great that you like walking, just keep at it.

Most importantly, is what you are putting into your body real food??? Food is like the fuel for your car.........is what you are putting into your body the right fuel???

BTW Dont ever forget the tale of the tortise and the hare!!! Do your why diary every day, even if it's only one line. You can do this!!!