Anyone get massages regularly?

Options
I've been having a lot of upper back pain lately. (Trapezius muscle I believe).
I was wondering if any of you find massages to be beneficial for relieving the pain?

I'm not a fan of chiropractic adjustement because of the dangers with neck adjustments.
I was thinking a massage might help work the pain out? I haven't worked my back since last Friday, so it's from sitting at my desk I believe.

Replies

• crystal10584
    Options
    Chiropractic adjustments are great, and the dangers are minimal because they've been trained in how to adjust properly. I <3 massages... when I can afford them. I'm sure one of those 15 min chair massages + soaking in a hot tub would cure your problems :)
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Nothing is better than a good massage!!! I have a plan to get one before June. I absolutely love them!
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have upper back pain very often, and I've found it's from terrible posture. I did some of the stretches on this website to help correct my posture and it really helped:

http://www.drbookspan.com/fitfix-index.html

A massage will temporarily help the pain, as will a chiropractor adjustment, but it won't fix the source of the problem. I've highlighted some of the articles she's written:

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/2006/10/common-exercises-teach-upper-back-and.html
    http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/2006/10/fixing-upper-back-and-neck-pain.html
    http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/2007/01/upper-back-exercise-and-neck-pain.html
    http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/2007/01/quick-feel-good-upper-back-and-chest.html

I hope it helps. It's really starting to help me.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i started going back to the chiropractor. it's fantastic. I can understand your concern but like crystal said...they've all been trained. sometimes the adjustments are a little painful and sore but you do feel alot better on a whole. I went all through my junior and senior year of highschool because I was a competitive swimmer.

you just have to do ur research and find a good chiropractor that you're comfortable with.
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    I have chronic headaches and migraines and I started going every month to get a therapeutic (deep tissue) massage. I have definitely seen an improvement...

Plus my therapist KNOWS when i've got something going on... Yesterday when I went, I meant to tell her that i'm having a problem with a "bicep tendonitis" according to my doc, and when she got to stretching my shoulder/arm, she could tell there was something wrong...

SO..I would definitely recommend it. But don't go for a relaxing massage.. go for the brutal deep tissue... the one that makes you hurt the next few days! It's totally worth it!
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor doesn't do manual adjustments on my neck because I prefer the pulsar gun thing he has. A lot more safe and does the job. ;0) Chiropractors used to freak me out but now I love mine.

Massages are great!!! I was just thinking this morning that I need one. :0)

I also heard Cupping can help with pain. My trainer I used to see did that for an old injury she had.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I was wondering if any of you find massages to be beneficial for relieving the pain?

I'm not a fan of chiropractic adjustment because of the dangers with neck adjustments.
    I was thinking a massage might help work the pain out? I haven't worked my back since last Friday, so it's from sitting at my desk I believe.

I was getting spa massages regularly until I remembered I have health insurance....went to my Dr and he wrote a referral for physical therapy noting that I have lower back pain & leg cramps... for $15 co-pay I now get back & leg rubs ..and except for the smell of essential oils and candles burning my body feels no difference
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    I too go to a chiropractor regularly and find I can move in general a lot easier and have no pain anymore at all (unless it's workout related muscle pain). But I'm also a fan of a good massage and my goal was to go for a full body massage with every 10 pounds I lose.... looks like it's time to go; I just have to figure out a time and make an appointment!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I get Thai Yoga Massage reguarly - its like lazy persons Yoga. They stretch you out and it has done wonders for my chronic pain issues and flexibility!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    OHHHH A MASSAGE WOULD BE HEAVENLY RIGHT NOW!! im very blessed bc i have an aunt who is a massage therapist. so for every holiday i get gift certificates... aka.. free massages! she does the WHOLE NINE! including hot stones on the back which is sooooo nice! speaking of which... i need to call her. i felt my muscles tense up just thinking about it!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I get monthly deep tissue massages (actually have one scheduled for tomorrow! :bigsmile: ) and I usually get adjusted at the chiropractor once a month as well. I tend to get adjusted before my massage because I've noticed that it helps with my back and shoulders -- they seem to stay limber and loosened longer that way. If you have insurance make sure you see if your massages could be covered. Some insurance companies see deep tissue massages as physical therapy. :smile:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i started going back to the chiropractor. it's fantastic. I can understand your concern but like crystal said...they've all been trained. sometimes the adjustments are a little painful and sore but you do feel alot better on a whole. I went all through my junior and senior year of highschool because I was a competitive swimmer.

you just have to do ur research and find a good chiropractor that you're comfortable with.
    Yeah I went to a chiro a few times before and enjoyed it.
    Recently my uncle had a stroke a few days after a chiro adjustment. Happened in his neck, and he had his neck adjusted.
    So since then I've been a little wary of it.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone back to the chiro since my last visit put me in the hospital. I have lower back/hip problems and I went a couple years ago because I was having pain. I left there for the pain to only get worse. My back/legs locked up and I could not get off the floor. Went to ER where they couldn't find the source, but think it was a pinched nerve. Worst pain ever!! I'd rather go through childbirth a dozen more times than to feel that pain ever again!! Needless to say, I am leary now and won't go unless I can't stand it anymore.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone back to the chiro since my last visit put me in the hospital. I have lower back/hip problems and I went a couple years ago because I was having pain. I left there for the pain to only get worse. My back/legs locked up and I could not get off the floor. Went to ER where they couldn't find the source, but think it was a pinched nerve. Worst pain ever!! I'd rather go through childbirth a dozen more times than to feel that pain ever again!! Needless to say, I am leary now and won't go unless I can't stand it anymore.

Thats terrible.
    I feel like chicopractors can really help a lot of people. But theres a few of them out there that make mistakes and give them a bad name. Stories like this are what keep me from going.

I think I'm gonna give deep tissue massages a try and see how that goes.
  • ritarampage
    Options
    I might be a little biased, as I am a massage therapist, but absolutely massages can help with your pain!

When choosing a therapist, try the AMTA's "Find a Therapist" page at http://www.amtamassage.org/findamassage/index.html

The AMTA assures that their members follow strict guidelines, including training, certification, and continuing education, so you're much more likely to find someone really qualified to help you through their search feature.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I'm not a fan of chiropractic adjustement because of the dangers with neck adjustments.

Go to your GP and ask to see a physiotherapist. Follow the NHS's advice over a private chiropractor.

EDIT: just checked and you're not from the UK. Ignore that then, but see a doctor and ask to be referred to a physio/physical therapist.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a chiro before. I've gotten a massage done once. It really helped with some minor lower back pain I was having due to pregnancy. I've been meaning to get another one done, I've just been too busy.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I go about once every two weeks for one. I find it really helps, especially since I lift a lot of weights and my muscles get tense. Highly recommended! :smile:
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I also had a bad experience with a chiropractor, I went a few years ago for back pain and ended up not being able to walk and in the hospital. I had back surgery when I was 24 and this was probably 8 years after that. I ended up having to have another surgery after the visit to the chiropractor. The doctor told me if I would have went to the chiropractor another time or two there was a good chance I would never have walked again. So no thank you , no visits to the chiropractor for me. But I have never tried the massages, bet they feel really good.
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Massages are great, but expensive and not very practical as the pain relief is short lived. I'd recommend yoga. It will strengthen and stretch the muscles which will address the cause of the pain - massage just treats the symptom. Lots of folks in my yoga classes started out there to deal with chronic pain and have had great results. You can do it on your own too if you're not into the whole yoga studio scene.