Protein - how much is too much?

Options
Famzav8
Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
I am currently following an eating plan where I am eating 80 - 90 grams of protein a day. It is going very well, however I have a question. There have been some days where I realize I have eaten 100-120 grams of protein once I add it up. Is there a adverse effect if I am eating over my goal protein? I am 27, 5'6'', and currently weigh 194. My protein comes from protein shakes, tuna, chicken, almonds, cashew, yogurt, turkey, fat free cottage cheese - all good stuff! Any information for me guys?

Replies

• anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am sure like everything TOO much of anything is't really good for you, but protein is a really good for muscle. I need to increase my protein, i know i am not getting enough..
  • crystal10584
    Options
    bump
  • Allison128
    Allison128 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    great question. I've always wondered too! I can't help ya!
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    bump
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    My old fitness trainer used to tell me that the rule of thumb if you are trying to gain muscle is 1 gram for every pound you weigh.
  • Famzav8
    Options
    okay..... so I'm new to this site - what does it mean when posts say "bump"?
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Bump means they are bringing the topic back up. I just read that too much protein is onyl found to be bad for people with kidney disease
  • cj1234cj23
    cj1234cj23 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    What does bump mean? I'd like to know too.
  • michaelduke31
    michaelduke31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    it all depends on what you are going for with your diet. if you are trying to build some muscle, i would strive for 1.5 - 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. if you are simply trying to maintain and keep those muscles strong, you can probably stick with 1 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. (those are daily figures)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    My old fitness trainer used to tell me that the rule of thumb if you are trying to gain muscle is 1 gram for every pound you weigh.

AGREED!
  • LillysGranny
    Options

This is what I've always heard/read. I know a lot of people who lose better at closer to a gram/pound, too.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    What does bump mean? I'd like to know too.

Some one already said..
    It's when u want to bring the topic back up.
  • Dteg
    Dteg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just started working out with a trainer, she told me to aim for as many grams of protein as the weight i want to be. So if you want to weigh 135lbs get 135 grams of protein a day. I hope this helps you out.
  • JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    I try to consume 1 gram of protein per pound I weigh. IT has helped me shed weight and gain lean muscle. I get my protein through, legumes, chicken, tuna, an occasional 100% whey protein shake, and pork. I also have 2 cups of leafy veggies with lunch and dinner when I am digesting that much protein at a time. It aids digestion.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You can theoretically eat too much protein, but not just the amounts you are eating. Many bodybuilders eat upwards of 2g per pound of bodyweight. As far as losing weight higher protein will help you more than hurt you assisting in retaining muscle mass and helping with energy and recovery from intense workouts. In other words don't worry about it.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    so bump means it is a topic that has already been shared somewhere else? I am unclear on that as well......sound's like someone is saying, "Bump........been there done that heard that before"....kind of rude if that is the case.

If you are not trying to build muscle, the excess protein can be hard for your kidney's to handle and put a little strain on them....if you are lifting some serious weight, your body will use a lot of that protein.
    If you are sedentary, I don't recommend that much protein.
  • Famzav8
    Options
    Thanks for the responses..... keep it coming, this is great info. When i have been telling people howmuch protein I am eating, I have generally gotten teh response that it seems like a lot of protein, but my doc said that 80-90 grams isn't "high" protein, it's "adequate" protein. I usually plan out my eating the night before, so now I won't be as worried trying to adjust my food if I go "over" on my protein. My goal is to lose at least 10% of my fat, and build more lean muscle. Not necessarily body builder type thing, but just leaner and stronger.
  • MattLee10
    Options
    If you drink enough water you can eat all the clean protein you want. Just don't eat so much that your stomach feels like you overate. I'm usually between 200-250 grams a day. 6'4" 188...doing P90x
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My protein goal every day is 100. Sometimes I get 90, sometimes I get 130. I spoke to my trainer about it last night & he felt 100-120 is perfect for me. I am 5'6, 146 lbs working out 3-5 times/week.
  • c0bra99
    c0bra99 Posts: 11
    Options
    so bump means it is a topic that has already been shared somewhere else? I am unclear on that as well......sound's like someone is saying, "Bump........been there done that heard that before"....kind of rude if that is the case.

If you are not trying to build muscle, the excess protein can be hard for your kidney's to handle and put a little strain on them....if you are lifting some serious weight, your body will use a lot of that protein.
    If you are sedentary, I don't recommend that much protein.

That is not what Bump means. Bump is used to "Bump" a topic back to the top of the list of topics, since it is sorted by the last time a comment was posted. Bump is not rude, it is a way of saying "I think this post is important and would like more people to see it so hopefully we can get good answers"

It is very commonly used in forums across the internet.