I am sore... help!!!

Options
I have been doing Ripped in 30 for 3 weeks now. Starting week 4 today. Also doing some stationary bike here and there... I find my back legs and butt muscles HURT. And it wont stop. Yesterday was my 'rest' day and I had to get up during the night to take an Advil because it was hurting so bad.... When does the hurting stop.... I have been excersing for a couple months now.... ??!! I like that I can feel it working but it's getting annoying already!! Please help!!!! :cry:

Replies

• BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein intake ASAP.....your muscles need that to repair!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm sore too, second day in a row from doing a different workout than usual and working a whole new set of muscles.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    I have heard pineapples help with soreness because of the lactic acid. hot baths in epsom salts and lots for stretching after workouts and before bed too
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    I was in the same boat...I tried increasing my protein right after my workouts...I usually have a whey protein shake or chocolate milk and it helps the day after. I also noticed that potassium is also key, try a banana as well after you work out.
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I find that stretching helps when I'm sore. Every time you get up, stretch. And maybe a walk today instead of such a strenous workout. Give those muscles a chance to heal up. Great work by the way!!
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Your body might be on the verge of over-training, which could be causing the pain you are feeling. You may need a few more days rest to allow your body to heal. The 30 plan is an arbitrary number...would it really make a difference if you completed the program in say 40, 50 or even 60 days but still had the same results? Listen to your body. It may be liking the fitness, but providing you some words of caution. Yes, this has happened to me with strength training, so much that I had to eliminate a few exercises from my plan for more than 3 months to allow the muscle to heal. But in the end it was worth it.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I agree with increasing protein. If you are doing something like Ripped in 30 you need around 100g of protein a day for your muscles to repair themselves and rebuid. Try taking a walk in the evening before bed and have some lunch meat or a protein shake before bed. Our muscles try to repair while we sleep. One article I read in Runner's World suggested having turkey before bed. Turkey has a chemical that helps you relax (naturally) and the protein helps too.

Good Luck.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough protein . I also add glutamine which helps me out. Be careful of over-training and remember rest is as important as the exercise.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Protein shake with BCAAs added will help.

Xtend is a good brand and you can just mix the BCAAs with water and it tastes good.
    VitaminShoppe and GNC has Xtend I think.

I bought USP Labs Blueberry stuff and it was nasty!!! Stick with Xtend. :0)

Hot bath with Epson Salt I found helps too. :0) Or just a sit on a heating pad. :0)
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    if the exercising is something that is changing from day to day, and working new muscles at a new pace/strength I cant imagine the discomfort subsiding anytime soon. I would definately increase your water though, your muscles will retain it to try and repair, I would also make sure that you are consuming a good deal (30g or so) of protein about 1/2 hr after working out,,,,,some people also drink a cup of chocolate milk immediately following their work out for repair. I would think that you're doing fine, so long as you're just "sore" and not in pain because you have done something to hurt yourself.

I have in the past taken a day for a lighter workout just to kinda losen things up, andnot stress the muscles...not necessarily a second "rest' day......bottom line is you need to listen to your body
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Stretch everyday even on your rest days and drink plenty of water!!
  • nrm149
    nrm149 Posts: 16
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Also you may need to take some supplements that will provide you with zinc, magnesium and potassium. All of that will help with soreness and muscle cramping.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a good protein shake right after my workouts (the lifing workouts, anyway). It's supposed to help with recovery and such (plus protein is very important when building muscle/strength training). Also - be sure to stretch really really well and drink tons of water. Anytime you do something new (something you're not used to doing), you will probably be extra sore. But as your body gets used to something, you shouldn't be "as" sore as the first couple of times.
  • devry
    devry Posts: 1
    Options
    fedup,
    Last week I started working out. I have not worked out at all. On Monday I did a one hour stability class that was very fast paced. I was so sore on Tuesday I could hardly walk or laugh. On Wednesday I got up from doing 60 crunches and 5 minutes later I almost passed out. I started having chest pain and ended up in the E.R. After doing blood work we found out that my CPK levels were in the 5000's. CPK levels are not suppose to be above 220. They enzymes from my muscles, not my cardiac muscle, where over worked. They admitted me and gave me IV fluids until thr following evening because they were afraid my kidneys were going to shut down. So, always remember to listen to your body and don't over do it.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Here's what you need to do...Drink a glass of cold water, then take a hot shower. Then gentle strengthing, so do some stretches and such to get those muscles moving. AFter that drink another glass of water and then drink something to hydrate your body like powerade zero or something. I also usually take a pain relivier when I do this as well, and it should help. I know it helps me!
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! It all makes sense... I haven't been drinking the water like I used too and my I used to go way over on protein now not so much! I will try this and see what happens!! :o)