I got my wake up call!

Options
ad0nna
ad0nna Posts: 6 Member
Hello,

My name is Adonna and I'm 41 years old. I just found out that I have grade1 heart failure due to obesity. I've been overweight all my life and it has finally caught up with me. I see this as my wake up call and I am focused more than ever on changing my habits and lifestyle. I hope to find some friends for moral support on here as well!

Replies

• distant_dreamer
    Options
    hi such a shame it takes news like that to finally give us a kick up the backside. good luck on ur journey xx

feel free to add me if u want xx
  • Ddzim
    Ddzim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step to improve your health! Just remember when times get hard that there is a greater purpose behind it all! Stay focused. I wish you the best of luck!
  • knmiller4life
    Options
    You can do this and WE will help and support you along the way!!! Feel free to add me!!!
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hello Adonna,

You WILL be healthy and we are all 100% behind you on this!!

Feel free to add me.

Kayle
  • akwagner25
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Just remember to take this journey one day at a time and I wish you all the luck on your journey. You can add me if you would like to.
  • Niceven
    Niceven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got my wake-up call when I was diagnosed with skin cancer at 23. I was facing a shortened life span and I didn't want to envision the rest of it with me being FAT! Welcome to the "Looking death in the eye" club. Be sure to laugh heartily. If you need anything, help, tips, inspiration; I'm here, there's information out there and this whole fitnesspal community is here! We're a wealth of knowledge so feel free to use us!
  • s_brune
    s_brune Posts: 1
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. I too found out I have a health problem. I need to lose weight to drop my blood pressure and ease the strain on the heart.
  • Surfergurl29
    Options
    Sorry to hear .... feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi Adona, would love to be your friend. My mother died from congestive heart failure and before starting on here on March 22,2011 I had been on BP meds for two years. The doctor was going to increase my meds and add another because I just couldn't keep my BP down. Glad to say I have dropped 13 pounds and haven't taken any meds for two weeks. I threw the salt shaker away, buy low sodium foods when I can, trying to eat as less processed as possible and feeling great. You can do this:):) Would love to help motivate you and receive motivation as well:)
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You have taken the first step and that is great. You have come to the right place for support on you jouney to better health. Feel free to add me.

Good luck!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Ok Girl!...you got this. Now make a plan and stick to it. One day at a time and 1 lb at a time you will defeat this.

Feel free to add me and ask me for any help. I'm here to help.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!!! I am 53 and also just found out that I have heart problems and am borderline diabetic so I got my wake up call too. there is lots of support and encouragement on here!!! Feel free to add me as a friend on here. We can get through this journey together!!! Good luck!!!
  • jjjennygirl
    Options
    Hi Adonna,

I wish you all the best! My fitness pal is a great tool to keep your journey fun:). Feel free to add me as a friend too...I'm 44 and trying to lose the stubborn weight I've kept from my 4 pregnancies.
    Jennifer
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    OMG I guess! How scary - sending you a request now. Stay focused on one day @ a time - small baby steps. Much luck to you!
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Many healing wishes for you!

One step at a time, and you will get there. Stick around and enjoy all the support you can stand!
  • Jesseocc
    Jesseocc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you
  • LittleLotero
    Options
    I know that would be a slap in the face, but I hope that you have a wonderful journey and have MUCH success!

:drinker:
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that

MFP is an amazing tool and with all the support from your new friends on here you'll reach your goal.

Onwards and upwards
  • BriefTales
    BriefTales Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey Donna, I had several heart attacks during the last week of October 2009 while getting the yard ready for winter; one on Monday, one on Tuesday and one on Thursday. I had no idea I was having heart attacks. I just thought it was breathing issues from being a smoker and because I've been borderline overweight / obese all of my life. Well, on the Thursday event, I drove myself to the hospital "just to get it checked out". My doctor's office was closed that day. WOW, what a wake up call! I presented myself during a heart attack, unknown to me. I was just having trouble breathing. The following day I had triple bypass. OK. that was almost 18 months ago. Since that time? My father was diaganosed with terminal cancer and passed awy. I spent as much time with his as possible. Following his death in another city, I decided it was time to 'fix' me. I too, have congestive heart failure but believe me, it's not a death sentence! It's manageable.

Today? I walked briskly on a treadmill at the gym, elevation of 4.5 and speed of 3. I did that for 60 minutes. Then, I did some strength training with machines and then I did 20 minutes of laps in an olympic sized pool. I do two lengths of crawl then walk/run two lengths... I alternate as much as I can with a goal of 20 minutes of swimming rather than walking. Tomorrow I'll be on the elliptical for at least 20 minutes and then I'll do more treadmill walking and some cardio. I'll take the day off of swimming to let my chest muscles heal. Of course I don't smoke any more and I'm learning what healthy food is and getting a handle on portion sizes. This didn't happen overnight. Walking to the bed from the sofa was a major effort after surgery. It's been a long haul but honestly, I don't think I ever thought it wasn't worth it to try a little harder, walk and little further and so on.

Hopefully you can find some encouragement in my situation from 18 months ago until today. I'm getting a lot of encouragement from other MFP members and want to pay my dues. Stick to it. You're here on MFP so take advantage of all of the resources available and be sure to post your success.

And lastly, any readers who wish to friend me, please do so. We all need friends.
  • ad0nna
    ad0nna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Thank you so muich. I cannot believe how supportive everyone has been on here!