Race Bib Placement when going Shirtless?

Options
So i've never ran a race in anything less than a technical shirt and shorts BUT i'm seriously considering running in a sports bra and shorts this Saturday at my next half marathon. I'm bib #23 and i think there is a good chance that i may place in my age group, since this is a smaller race. This thought has NEVER crossed my mind but it is exciting to think about. Anyways, I was wondering where you put your bib number if there is no shirt to pin it to. It seems awkward on the sports bra and the shorts would be too short and crinkle the bib. I wouldn't want this to happen so that I get good pictures from the race. Suggestions anyone?

Replies

• McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I usually pin it to the lower part on the back of my sports bra... that way people can catch my number when I pass them! Good luck in your race- you'll do awesome!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    yeah I would pin it to the lower part of the back of your sports bra
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Why can't you pin it to the shorts?
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    the race specified that it needs to be in the front :/
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    They usually prefer the bib be in front of the runner so they can read it crossing the finish line.

Whenever I've run shirtless (easier for me...) I pin it the belt line. I usually try to fold it down a little so it doesn't flap around as much.

Some of the bib's have the tear off strips, so becareful you don't lose that.

Good Luck in your race!
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    wear a tank...
  • forbessw
    forbessw Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Get a bib holder. I use this one.
    http://www.fuelbelt.com/accessories/race.html
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    Can you trim the number at all? Some races specify that you have to leave the bib full size, but other races don't care if you cut it down so it's just the number. If you can modify the bib, cut it down and pin it across the chest... if not then you'll just have to pin it full size to your chest...
  • melon_e
    melon_e Posts: 58
    Options
    When my husband races shirtless he pins his bib to the front of his shorts, but off to one side so it doesn't get in the way when he runs.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    you need to get you an Ifitness belt. they are fabulous!!! and you put your number right on the belt. I resisted this for years because I thought it would flap and bother me. But..finally gave in on my last half marathon and it was fabulous. but...i would only get the iFitness brand. they have one that is 100% waterproof. can dump a full cup of water right on it and your phone/ipod will stay dry. LOVE IT!! I have the two pocket one so my Iphone stays in one and then my gels in the other.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Depending on the timing chips they are using, it may have to be up on the torso in order for it to scan properly. I would check with the race officals to see what they say.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    I've read if you crinkle up your bib before pining it on it moves with your body better as it is not as stiff.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to look into one of these fitness belts!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Be careful before making ANY modifications - cutting, crinkling, etc. The new race bibs have the chip embedded within them, and need to be placed squarely on the chest, without even being so much as folded. To be safe, I'd wear a tank top. It's still April, so it's likely not extremely hot yet.

I know you prob want to show off your lovely body, but you'll be upset if the bib tears off/flies away and you dont end up placing, right? :frown: