Different Scales...What do I do?

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
I just bought a new scale, and according to the new one, I'm 7lbs heavier than what my old scale says. Now keep in mind my old scale was like a rotery phone, and my new one is all fancy and digital. Should I just add 7lbs to my weight and say I've only lost 18lbs and keep trucking along? Should I change my starting weight to be 7lbs heavier? I'm not going to lie, I'm a little discouraged that I'm back in the teens and not in the twenties. I was hoping to be down 30lbs this month...

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    When I bought a new scale, it showed me being 4 pounds heavier than the old one did.

I just went and edited every previous weigh-in on MFP and added 4 pounds to it. Then just used the new scales going forward.
  • moxiemoe
    moxiemoe Posts: 6
    Options
    I'd probably change your starting weight as 7 lbs heavier if the old scale was consistent. You have in fact lost 25 lbs correct, just with different starting numbers.
  • bcdg24
    bcdg24 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I don't own a scale at home but there are two scales at my job and they say i have diffferent weights. I would add 7 pounds to your original weight, because no matter what the poundage actually is now, you've still lost the same amount of weight (25 pounds is AMAZING! Fantastic job!). At least now you have a better idea of what your true weight is, but don't be depressed because you have accomplished SO MUCH already - you will be able to get where you want to go!
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    I hate that! Most scales are different that I have noticed. Even the scale at the doctor is different from mine. I would just edit the weight and add the weight on unless you plan on going back to the old scale. You will reach your goal soon!
  • oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm in the same dilema. I have an old school rotary one, and I want to buy a new digital one. I'm afraid of the setback in numbers. I'm on such a motivational high right now that I think I will wait on buying a new scale until i'm farther into my journey. I know it sounds silly, but i'm not sure how a change in pounds will discourage me.
  • jcott28
    jcott28 Posts: 16
    Options
    If you lost 25 pounds on the old scale, then you've still lost 25 pounds. You might just be a bit further from reaching your goal, but it doesn't change the weight loss. If, however, you changed scales, then measured your weight and that new number is 25 pounds off, then you've probably lost 18 pounds. Just adjust accordingly depending on your situation.

That said, don't dispair! 18 pounds lost is still fantastic! I know in your mind you have mini goals to accomplish, but just keep at it and you'll end up at your end goal.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'd up my starting weight if it were me =)
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me when I purchased a new scale....So I took it back and said "Yo this scale must be broken cause it made me heavier than my old scale" Return successful. I got another new scale came home stepped on it was heavier than my old scale...My husband said were not returning another scale hun :/ Guess I was just heavier. To this day I do love that old scale so much more :P

Finally I just added the weight to my starting weight. Changed it on MFP. My weight loss stayed the same, it was just reallllly hard to suck up the fact that I started this journey at 225. I still write that it was less than 225 cause I realllly hate that number :/
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same dilema. I have an old school rotary one, and I want to buy a new digital one. I'm afraid of the setback in numbers. I'm on such a motivational high right now that I think I will wait on buying a new scale until i'm farther into my journey. I know it sounds silly, but i'm not sure how a change in pounds will discourage me.

It's not silly...I weigh myself once a month because it's such an anxiety filled event. So when I got on my new fancy one I almost cried because it said I was 7lbs heavier. That doesn't seem like much, but in my world it's devistating...so I'm going to take the friendly advice and add 7lbs to my original weight. I KNOW I've lost more this month, but I'm not going to weigh myself, so next month better be a huge loss lol It sure did make me consider not waiting for my gym to open up, suck it up and drive to the next closest one because my "winter" work outs in my basement aren't giving me the loss I want. Good luck, keep me posted...
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Oops. Wrong post.
  • clpolk1
    clpolk1 Posts: 27
    Options
    frustrating!!
  • jhackenmueller
    Options
    I had the SAME problem. I still go by what my old scale says and use that for my weight... I'm actually using both my scales, might be easier for you to just switch your weight on MFP. I just weight with my digital one and when I see a constance weight loss I weight on my old one and then mark it on MFP.
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    Yes, change the starting weight then the current weight and everything will be at even keel.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When I bought a new scale over a year ago, I had to add about six pounds to my weight, as that was how much it varied. Didn't make me happy, but I know the new digital one is WAY more accurate that the older rotary one. Plus, some days, I was estimating on the rotary one, as I'd have to step on and off a couple of times to get it to reset to 0.
    Just go forward. The new scale is the one you are measuring on. I do think I'd reset your starting weight however. You have still lost 25 pounds.
    Kaye
  • mamato3babes
    Options
    Same here :( Im going to change my starting weight on here as well.
    Bummer but I want it to be accurate...
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'd just be careful about thinking about a number. You're not a better person because you started off 7 pounds lighter. You're in this to lose weight (and you have been, and you will lose more), and in the end, you will be healthier, more active, and you will feel better.

If you weighed 50 pounds and you were off by seven pounds, that would be significant, but 7 pounds for most adults who are losing weight isn't that much over all. I'm sure we are all planning on maintaining our healthy lifestyle, so the only thing it might mean is that getting to the final point will be three weeks farther away - but still, you're going to get there.

Hang in there and don't let a scale put a scare on you.