HRM high cal burn?

Options
ok i posted a topic like this testerday, took some pointers and tried again today.

i got my HRM a few days ago and used it yesterday for the 1st time. its a timex, and not one of the cheaper ones. it does A BUNCH of stuff but anyway, all u can enter in in your weight and target zones and all that, so i did that yesterday and got 310 cals for 27 min of jillian micahels 30 day shred L3, an dthen another like 282 cals for 24 min of zumba cardio, granted, i feel like dying to the shred, so im like ok, almost 600 cals for both workouts seems high,

so someone told me i should be able to enter my max heart rate on the HRM and that should give me a more accurate reading.

so 220-(my age) would give me 194. i entered that, made the chest strap SUPER tight, kept it wet and tried again today doing the 30 day shred again, and today- cals burned was 342..evenmore then yesterday. i glance over at my heart rate throughtout the workout and it doesnt usually go below 140 something and ranges between that and the high 180's.

sooo does this seem right?

Replies

• AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    It depends on a number of factors, but no...that does not seem unreasonably high if you are really working it.
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have an FT40 i did 45 min zumba class on the wii and 15 min cleaning and got 690 burn - I weigh 194lb
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It seems high for the Shred workout. I did level 2 the other day, and only burned 217 calories and was working pretty hard through it.
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weigh 163lbs and use a Polar HRM, and during 60mins, 25mins strength, 20mins interval and the rest warm up/down, and I burn on average 450 calories, so I'd think yours is about right!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    That sounds right on to me. I weigh 155 and have my HR in exactly the same range when I run, and yesterday I burned 500 cals in 25 min. I spent most of the time in the 170s and 180s. I when I run, I usually burn 200 cals per mile. (Yesterday there were a lot of hills, and it was my first run after a break from an injury. Many running books reference an average burn of 100 cals per mile for a fit woman weighing 150. I am not fit, and I weigh more, so this makes sense to me. Having your HR anything above 160 burns a ton of calories!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I burn right around 263 calories for a 25 minute 30 day shred workout with an average heart rate of 160-168. I had a Timex HRM but replaced it with a Polar FT60 because I got inconsistant readings with my Timex a lot. Depending on how high your heart rate is getting and how long it's staying elevated it's possible you could be burning 300 calories.
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    I weigh 140lbs and am 5'4" tall... doing JM 30 day shred level 1 I burn about 207 cals.

Oh and forgot to say... I use a Polar FT40 HRM to record cals burned.
  • dublvision2
    Options
    I use a Timex right now (hoping to get a Polar for Mother's Day), and I feel that it reads really high. So, I tend to divide the calories it says in half, and put that for my calorie burn.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    ok i posted a topic like this testerday, took some pointers and tried again today.

i got my HRM a few days ago and used it yesterday for the 1st time. its a timex, and not one of the cheaper ones. it does A BUNCH of stuff but anyway, all u can enter in in your weight and target zones and all that, so i did that yesterday and got 310 cals for 27 min of jillian micahels 30 day shred L3, an dthen another like 282 cals for 24 min of zumba cardio, granted, i feel like dying to the shred, so im like ok, almost 600 cals for both workouts seems high,

so someone told me i should be able to enter my max heart rate on the HRM and that should give me a more accurate reading.

so 220-(my age) would give me 194. i entered that, made the chest strap SUPER tight, kept it wet and tried again today doing the 30 day shred again, and today- cals burned was 342..evenmore then yesterday. i glance over at my heart rate throughtout the workout and it doesnt usually go below 140 something and ranges between that and the high 180's.

sooo does this seem right?

You also have to take into account that if you were just sitting there it would show so many calories burned. Divide your Maintenance calories number by 1440 (minutes in a day). This is the number you burn per minute just sitting (remember they are all estimates). My maintenance is 1600; so 1600/1440 = 1.1. Then multiply that number by the number of minutes you exercised; so 1.1x25 (min) = 27.5. Subtract this number from your total calories burned. This will give you a true activity burn.

I got this a while back from here on the message boards. I don't know how much of a difference it can make but I always did it with the HRMs. I have a BodyMedia Fit Armband now and it shows only activity calories burned when I track my exercise.

How you want to log it is entirely up to you. It might not even be enough to make a big difference.