Glucosamine

Options
Anyone taking it???

I've been trying to actively take it in hopes of helping my back and knees but I have a hard time taking pills religiously. I did for a point and time did take it regularly for a bit and I noticed that it may have helped my knees some but not sure I was getting any effect for my back. How long did you take it before you realized it was working?

Replies

• LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I take it...I swear it helps my knees...for me, it took about a week to really see a difference. It's supposed to be for your joints, it speeds the mending of cartilage between them...that may be why you aren't seeing much for you back...depends on exactly what is hurting in your back.
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    Bump. I have Chondromalacia Patella (aka "runners knee") and I've been taking Glucosamine for several weeks. My doctor said there isn't a lot of evidence backing how this supplement works, but if taking it does something, I'll try it.
  • shezza737
    shezza737 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My Dad takes Glucosamine (1500mg) as instructed to by his GP. He has always suffereds with painful knees but the Doctor advised these tablets and also told him that they have been known (whether proven I do not know) to rebuild the cartlidge. He now swears by these tablets and wouldn't be without them!
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Anyone taking it???

I've been trying to actively take it in hopes of helping my back and knees but I have a hard time taking pills religiously. I did for a point and time did take it regularly for a bit and I noticed that it may have helped my knees some but not sure I was getting any effect for my back. How long did you take it before you realized it was working?

At my urging, my husband started taking some Glucoseamine chews I got for him at Walmart. He has horrible knees from years of wear and tear (He's 6'6", and 300 pounds). Just this morning, he said his knees have not been aching at all for the last two days. He started taking it regularly last Saturday.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I've taken it.
    I'm a fan of MSM now.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I deal with a lot of ortho docs in my work and I have had them tell me it does help. I have been taking it for years and have noticed a difference. Can't remember how long after I started taking it that it really began to help.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I take Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM...I swear by it for my knee...left knee hurts when I do not take it

For me to notice a change was about a week to a week and a half...but not the FULL EFFECT for abut 3 weeks

it might not help your back as much because I do not think there is much cartilage in the back (not a doctor, but I think that is true)...and I know your back gets less blood, so it is harder to repair your back (my brother cracked a vertebrae as a kid and it will never heal)

I do 2 things for my back:
    - see a chiropractor regularly
    - do strength training for my back
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I swear by it too...but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Elations brand (drink)....easier for me to take and I think it's more effective, I can tell the difference within a week.
  • bigmomma84
    bigmomma84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    glucosamine, condroitine, and msm. try the combination. available everywhere. my mom gets hers at walmart. she has horrible arthritus due to psariasis. and this is what her dr told her to use. it helps wonders! good luck. and check with your dr.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see some good reviews on this! I just started taking them and already feel the changes. I hope things continue to improve as so many have said it does. Between this and my fish oil I hope my knees, and the rest of my joints, truly appreciate it as much as I appreciate all they do for me! :drinker:
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Back when I was dancing 20+ hours a week Glucosamine SAVED ME! It did wonders for my knees :D
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    yep its good
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    I developed fairly advanced osteoarthritis at a younger age and was just recently referred to a rheumatologist to see if something else was going on besides the osteo. He said most people with serious problems don't take a high enough dosage. Also, he said it appears glucosamine sulfate was more effective than the glucosamine hydrocholric (sp?) variety. Same deal with fish oil - most folks don't take enough. I'm now taking 500 mg of each, three times a day with my meals, and expect it to take 3-4 weeks before I notice an effect. I'm two weeks in and have my fingers crossed that this will do some good - or would, if I could cross my fingers!
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • nickiw68
    nickiw68 Posts: 71
    Options
    I've started taking it because I thought it would help my back, but so far no real improvement :sad:
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I took them years ago, and noticed immediate results. I stopped taking them when I felt like I didn't need them anymore. When I started to take them again later, they didn't help,but actually seemed to be making me sick! Anybody else experience that? I would definitely like to try them again, if possible.