Excited to try this.

Options
Well, this is my first online weight loss experiment. I've been very overweight all my life. I've been a musician since I was 11 and about 5 years ago, I finally got so heavy that my knees wouldn't let me stand to play 4 hours on a stage anymore. Very sad for me. I had to get a mobility scooter and now when my wife and I go on trips, I feel handicapped and embarrassed. I'm only 47 and I want my life and fun back. I had a bad time about 2 years ago when my mom died, and the weight seemed to pile on. I'm generally an extroverted prankster type person who laughs and jokes all the time. Until Monday, my wife was concerned that I had "given up". She may have been right. I lost 131 and 1/2 pounds about 15 years ago doing Weight Watchers. It took a year to lose it and about 6 years to put it all back on plus 100 pounds. I've tried just about everything except bypass and I just can't go that route. I've always kept the "weight part" of my life to myself in my head and never talked to other people, and tried to pretend that everything was just great. Now, I'm hoping that being able to read all the posts and maybe find some folks to blog with that I may use it as "therapy" and do something about it. I'm still active and eager to go and do and play in my head. This body is betraying me. lol

Replies

• LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you will find sucess among your MFP friends! Good Luck on your journey!
  • nelliemosa
    Options
    Welcome to MFP - you're in the right place! People here are really friendly and so motivating, feel free to add me if you'd like some support. I really hope you're able to meet your future goals, good luck!
  • yvonnewilke
    yvonnewilke Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome. I have just been on this site only 3 days and I love it already. Many people here are inspirational. Right now my goal is small just 10 lbs but I need lots more like 40 more. Just try and get your body moving. I do a cardio program right now that you can even do sitting down. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck.
  • Jolandolfo
    Options
    Welcome aboard and you have picked a great site. I am new as well and everyone is so supportive. Feel free to friend me. Later..
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Thank you for sharing your story since I know it is a difficult thing to do. I sent you a friend request. Feel free to add me. Good luck on your journey!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou: Good luck in your journey!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    The first thing you should know is if you can get yourself into a downward spiral, you can definitely get yourself into an upward one!! We all are here for the same reason so anything you say or want to talk about will be no surprise, we all have our downfalls, but with each others support we realize we are not alone and quite a lot of people deal with the same issues we do. Me personally I am a Binger, but everyones got a different problem. Know you can do it and look at it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Don't go overboard and restrict yourself too much. Eating can be a pleasure, enjoy finding the things you like and ways to make them healthy! Good Luck to you, but be guided by a force stronger than luck.......Determination!
  • sherryv02
    sherryv02 Posts: 26
    Options
    welcome and this place is AWESOME for support ! you will do this!
  • mememe84
    mememe84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome aboard i find this site really helps and with it being available on a mobile phone too also helps whilst out so i never go over my calories. Please keep us up to date with your progress and i wish you all the luck in the world x
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and at least 60 pounds overweight. The older we get the more this excess weight is hurting our joints (your knees) and accumulating affect on heart, circulation, etc.
    You know its the right thing to do and you will THANK yourself everyday for each pound you are loosing...I know I am!
    Good luck and I hope your success will allow you to continue your passion for being a musician! :drinker:
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have been fighting weight gain all my life. I was a Weight Watcher Member on and off for over 25 years...it got too commercialized for me so I quit. I now attend TOPS every week and love it! I found out about this site from a friend in February and have logged on every day since then! I love it...it is a wonderful tool and so much help. Just stick with it and it will work! wonderful people and lots of support! Good luck with your lifestyle change journey!
  • KayLeigh6710
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! Good luck on your journey!!

Add me if you like :)
  • katacha999
    Options
    welcome! you've taken the first step! Don't just think of this as weightloss! Think of this as the change of a lifetime! I found tracking my food very helpful - you very quickly see where your empty calories are coming from! And trust me once you start exercising, you'll learn that the food you think you "love" are your worse enemies and you'll start to see them for what they are empty useless calories. Maybe you are like me? The food that I thought I loved caused me significant digestion issues - just call me puff the magic dragon!! I don't care how "good" I think it is .. nothing is worth popping heaps of tums for! I recently came back from vacation in the Carribean - I had know idea how important green vegetables are for me & my diet (not weightloss diet, just diet in general)! All of my "old faves" were there - steaks, pasta, breads, cheeses, ice creams, french fries - and I felt absolutely horrible all week - not guilty - but genuinely horrible b/c all my body wanted was a piece of broccoli! A green salad! Steamed spinach - anything! If I had gone on that vacation a year ago? I likely would have happily popped a lot of Zantac and gained 20lbs! Just listen to your body, it's an incredibly machine and unlike labels and fad diets? It will not lie to you if you truly listen to it~

Add me if you like! Cheers! :happy:
  • weallhaveastory
    Options
    I am new to MFP myself but when I tell you this is a GREAT place to be it is! I'm lovin the support and the stories! I feel like I can breath again!
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sahring your story with us. I think you will find a lot fo great motivation, support and tons of ideas on how to acheive a healthy lifestyle, within this site.

Best of luck and keep posting, ask questions and don't be afraid to send out friend adds to get motivation and support.
  • pearlof69
    pearlof69 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome Rocker1963 . One of the many great things about MFP is that you will never be alone on your weight loss journey. Good luck
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    yourstory breaks my heart. you'll find a friend in me if you want it!
  • beatricegreenough
    beatricegreenough Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am recently new to this site also! I find it very helpful in staying on track with what I am putting in my mouth. Also, the support from other people is extremely helpful. I have tried everything in the past.... liposuction, atkins, weight watchers, zone diet and even also starved myself. Nothing will work unless you reach the bottom and realize that it is all about you being tired of the weight up and down and food being a comfort for everything. This site will not only help with weight loss, but I believe for the maintenance phase too! Use this site forever!!!! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend if you so wish!