Food as Fuel

thust377
thust377 Posts: 13
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Are you tired, drained, struggling to keep the yawns at bay, or experiencing the 2:30pm slump? Wondering where your energy went? No matter how you put it, you’re searching for tape to help hold your eye lids open. I bet when you feel like this you grab a soda, some coffee, or a candy bar from the vending machine to give yourself a quick boost of energy. We know we shouldn’t be grabbing that bag of potato chips or the large pack of milk chocolate and peanut buttery goodness that is- the Nutty Bar. But, we tell ourselves that we are too busy and we just need something to hold us over until dinner and these quick fixes will give us the energy to finish the work day.

Picking that junk food high in fat or sugar and salt will most likely make you feel worse once the short lived burst of energy wears off. You aren’t alone in feeling this way, this sluggish feeling can be caused by many factors like lack of exercise, drop in blood sugar and lack of oxygen to the brain, but the largest culprit is poor nutrition. What we choose to use as fuel will impact the performance of our bodies.

Having the vigor to make it through the day starts with the most important meal of the day- Breakfast. 51% of Americans skip breakfast because we are too busy getting ourselves ready, the kids ready, or taking care of our pets. The reasons for overlooking breakfast are endless, but making an effort to eat a healthy breakfast every day will help you combat that mid morning fatigue. Your breakfast should include carbohydrates for energy and protein for endurance. Some options could include: Cereal with fruit and yogurt, whole grain toast with peanut butter and fruit, hard-boiled egg, scrambled eggs and toast, or oatmeal with raisins. Having a nutritious breakfast starts your day out in a healthy energized way.

In order to sustain your energy through out the day, eat a mix of carbohydrates like potatoes, squash, pumpkin, carrots, fruit and honey. Eating an apple followed by a potato will give you and instant boost from the apple and lasting energy from the potato. Another important source for energy is fat; no I’m not going to ask you to chomp on a stick of butter. Consume healthy fats that you can get from nuts or avocado. To carry you through dinner and survive the 2:30pm drag, reach for some peanut butter and crackers, yogurt with granola, or cheese and a piece of fruit- Gummi Bears don’t count. Keeping your blood sugar at even levels is as simple as planning your snacks ahead of time. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water to avoid being listless. Dehydration is one of the leading causes of fatigue.

Food can raise or diminish the body’s energy levels. Choose the right foods to fuel your body and stay re-energized and re-focused. If you are eating healthy and still feel tired, try changing the frequency of your meals. Some people do better eating 3 square meals a day while others do better eating small meals all day long. Eat intelligently to a happier, more productive, and less tired you.

Replies

• jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    can you answer this for me....Whenever I eat Oatmeal (w/walnuts, agave, & peachers or raisins) I am constantly hungry 1-2 hours later and today I am seeing that I am really tired 2 hours later too (might be from my hour commute tho). Why am I always hungry quicker after I eat Oatmeal, than something else, or (hate to say it) not eating breakfast at all??? Just curious if you knew why oatmeal does that :)
    Interesting post, thanks for sharing!!
  • thust377
    thust377 Posts: 13
    Sometimes oatmeal might do that to people. Others feel opposite. I am a lot like you, oatmeal doesn't last me too long. What do you drink with your oatmeal? That might make a difference. Also adding a littl more protein to that meal might help as well. Make sure you have enough fiber in your oatmeal, have some skim milk, and add a little more protien to your breakfast. that will help.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    Oatmeal does that to me too. I can load it up with chia seeds, flax seeds and walnuts and I'm still ready to eat the doors off the car within a short period of time. I need high purine protein, especially at breakfast! (Read, MEAT!) I can totally skip the carbohydrates at breakfast and not feel any difference in energy levels but if I skip the protein I'm starving. If I don't have any meat for breakfast, eggs are the next best thing. I make scrambled eggs and put a touch of salsa on top and I'm good to go until lunchtime if I need to. And when I do get hungry it isn't that ravenous, "I want to eat everything in sight" kind of hunger. It's just, "oh, I'm hungry."

My body doesn't read the studies or the nutrition articles and it totally hates the food pyramid! :D I've learned to eat according to how I feel best and do agree that food is fuel. If you eat garbage, you're going to feel like garbage.
This discussion has been closed.