HELP! Graduating and don't know what to eat!

Options
So I'm graduating from college this week. I have people coming into town from all over to celebrate. Eating out is inevitable. Of course I could order a lite salad everywhere we go, but I don't want to. We have reservations at an all-you-can-eat french toast place, and Macaroni Grill (high calorie pasta). Is it ok to take 2 days and go over my goal (1860 cal/day)... or will that totally mess me up? I'm new to this healthier lifestyle so I'd love some imput from others. THANK YOU!

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Order what you want and remember portion control. the All-you-can-eat place is really an All-you-CARE-to-eat place. When you have eaten what you want spend the rest of the time sipping water and visiting with those people from out of town.

Congrats on graduating! I'm graduating shortly too, May 7!
  • burnguru25
    Options
    I may steer you in a direction others may avoid, but I would say this...

Exercise enough to account for the additional calories, but stay to the total daily allowed if possible. With the right amount of activity and exercise adjusted for my daily lifestyle, I am able to still enjoy some "passions" without losing too much ground.

And by the way...Congrats on your graduation.
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am graduating on the 20th of May. Usually I have a cheat day on Saturdays, but I expect that I will just move my cheat day to that day. It is my opinion that sometimes celebrations are called for, and if I WANT to eat healthy then, then do so, but if I WANT a cheeseburger, or heavy creamy pasta (which is my usual celebration food), then I am not going to punish myself by not having it on a day I should be celebrating.
    I think you just need to be aware of proportion and try not to celebrate something on a usual basis.

Hope this helps!
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the graduation. I agree with burnguru25... make up as many of the cals as possible by exercising... look up the cals before you go out and decide what you will eat.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Talk with your family and see if they would like to do some physical activities during the days before you are going to eat. Like go swimming or go bowling as a family.... But you only graduate once so don't totally restrict yourself! enjoy yourself and congratulations!!!
  • xavierjohn05
    xavierjohn05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well, you are allowed to reward yourself every now and then. I'd suggest to portion the meals, ask for a box when you get the meal and put half of it away before you start eating, that way you get the good food while also getting another meal out of it another day (saves money by splitting 1 meal into 2, lets you have the good tasting food twice, and you only take in half the calories). Also don't gorge yourself at the all you can eat place. Eat what you want, but don't go overboard, thats what would hurt you.

In the long term though, 2 days of eating bad will not completely mess you up, for me, I'm great on weekdays, but weekends, I usually go over, the key is to not go over consistently.

You can do those suggestions, or you can make sure you get a good 30 minute workout in (take a long walk, or hit one of the exercise videos), that will help you offset some of the extra calories.

Thats my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
  • VictoriaMae
    Options
    Wow, you guys have some great ideas! Thank you SO much for the help. I am going to get up early on those days and do an extra workout because I know I wont be able to to fit it in later. I'll also pull up the nutrition information on the places I will eat so I am aware of my intake. I find that I eat less when I know what I'm eating. THANKS AGAIN!