Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Sometimes I will do exercise not on treadmill/ eliptical which counts my calories lost, heart rate... etc. Does anyone know of a good heart rate monitor that I can wear while doing other exercises. I hate not knowing how many calories I've burned. I'm a visual person and need to SEE what I've done to feel good about it. That is the sole purpose of staying on the treadmill. Need some help if you have any... thanks. Good Luck to you all!!!

Replies

• ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    another mfp recommended the Polar FT4 or FT7, I got the 4 on Amazon for about 80$ I love love love it. I was amazed at how much I burned walking and such and how little I burned doing "housework" compared to the mfp web site. Mine has a watch and a simple chest strap that fits under your bra line- you dont even notice it. Highly recommend
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I excited to see what people post...I too am in search of a good HR monitor. :bigsmile:
  • formytwins
    formytwins Posts: 106
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and LOVE it!! I use it once- twice a day and have no problems. I had purchased another brand which was cheaper at Wal-Mart and it did not work right. I purchased the Polar from ****s Sporting Goods for around $95.00. That was the best investment I have ever made!!! Good Luck!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    another mfp recommended the Polar FT4 or FT7, I got the 4 on Amazon for about 80$ I love love love it. I was amazed at how much I burned walking and such and how little I burned doing "housework" compared to the mfp web site. Mine has a watch and a simple chest strap that fits under your bra line- you dont even notice it. Highly recommend

DITTO!! Love mine (FT4)
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I also have a Polar FT7...and love it...although I'm going to have to return it b/c I wash the strap(like it told me too in the directions) and now it doesn't pick up my heartbeat....I got mine at Academy....good thing too, so it'll be easier for me to exchange....
  • Unleashuk
    Unleashuk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Polar do a bluetooth heart rate monitor that I've tested on Android & also on my brothers Nokia N8 & I'm guessing it'll work on the iPhone too.

Failing that, they do quite a few nice wrist watch models as do Garmin with built in GPS for when you are out of the gym :-)
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft4 is highly recommended,its also waterproof! :)
  • TracyJean2012
    TracyJean2012 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I went to my local Walmart and bought one from sporting goods, I'm sure its not a high quality one but it works for what I need and want it for! The cost is like around 30.00. I wear it alot and its TOTALLY different from what this site says and the machines.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options

DITTO!! Love mine (FT4)

hahahah ms toes :laugh:
  • motherofjade
    Options
    I have a Sportline one from Walmart. It was the only one our local walmart carried with the chest strap. Really not sure what model it was though. It works amazing! I definatly recommend getting one no matter what the brand name is.

The one I bought was i think around $70-80.

I recommend one with a chest strap for continuous readings. Mine will do both, continuous with the chest strap and if you place your fingers on the watch face it will tell you your heart rate that way too. It also tracks your time in your specified heart rate zones etc... It seems to have it all :)

I use it ever time i workout and it's usually a good 200+ cal then what the machine is telling me. It takes into account your height, gender, weight etc.. but I'm sure most top end ones do for accurate readings.