On eating times??

Options
Hope this fits on this forum. I wasn't sure.

If I go to bed at 11 each night, thereabouts, what is the latest I should eat? Also, I am sedentary after 5 pretty much except for getting dinner and then washing dishes.

I've heard a lot of folks say don't eat after 3pm, then some after 5 or so. Would really like to hear what you think on this one.

Thank you gals and guys, denise in Sams Valley:)

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hope this fits on this forum. I wasn't sure.

If I go to bed at 11 each night, thereabouts, what is the latest I should eat? Also, I am sedentary after 5 pretty much except for getting dinner and then washing dishes.

I've heard a lot of folks say don't eat after 3pm, then some after 5 or so. Would really like to hear what you think on this one.

Thank you gals and guys, denise in Sams Valley:)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    the time of day that you eat has no ill effects. if you're hungry at 9pm eat. 12? eat something. Your body doesn't know what time it is. Just don't gorge yourself right before bed or an upset tummy may result. :drinker:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Youre kiddin!!!!!!!!! That is awesome and I doubt you would be so bold with your statement unless you know what youre talkin bout!!! Allright, enough worring about eating at certain dang times. That's been a real pain!!!!!!!!! Thank you darlin, so appreciate it!! denise:bigsmile:

the time of day that you eat has no ill effects. if you're hungry at 9pm eat. 12? eat something. Your body doesn't know what time it is. Just don't gorge yourself right before bed or an upset tummy may result. :drinker:
  • aubs057
    aubs057 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night right before bed can cause problems with acid reflex, or give you a stomach ache. The solution to those problems is to eat things that will settle your stomach... Like dairy. A glass of milk with whatever you eat before bed will settle your stomach and you will feel much better! But no, as long as you're not totally splurging, the time of day you eat should not affect your weight :smile:
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Youre kiddin!!!!!!!!! That is awesome and I doubt you would be so bold with your statement unless you know what youre talkin bout!!! Allright, enough worring about eating at certain dang times. That's been a real pain!!!!!!!!! Thank you darlin, so appreciate it!! denise:bigsmile:

Yes, I promise, it is a zillion times better to eat something at 9 than it is to deny yourself food from 3pm onwards! So have something! I think I may go get myself some popcorn and it's 8pm :bigsmile:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    That is a stress reliever because sometimes I am later getting in and I sweat eating dinner later than 5 or 6, thanks sooooooo much gals! Yes, I like to save a few calories for a bowl of cereal(cheerios):) Or Tea with a piece of toast:) denise:drinker: :bigsmile:

Eating late at night right before bed can cause problems with acid reflex, or give you a stomach ache. The solution to those problems is to eat things that will settle your stomach... Like dairy. A glass of milk with whatever you eat before bed will settle your stomach and you will feel much better! But no, as long as you're not totally splurging, the time of day you eat should not affect your weight :smile:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Awesome, and congrats on your weightloss and your upcoming wedding toooooo!!! How wonderful! I can't help but feel sad for all the woman, as well as men, in America that are so deceived by weightloss scams:( I would have never known if I hadn't joined this site, about healthy eating habits and weight management, geesh!! Im tellin everyone I meet about this site, LOL!!!:drinker:

Yes, I promise, it is a zillion times better to eat something at 9 than it is to deny yourself food from 3pm onwards! So have something! I think I may go get myself some popcorn and it's 8pm :bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Awesome, and congrats on your weightloss and your upcoming wedding toooooo!!! How wonderful! I can't help but feel sad for all the woman, as well as men, in America that are so deceived by weightloss scams:( I would have never known if I hadn't joined this site, about healthy eating habits and weight management, geesh!! Im tellin everyone I meet about this site, LOL!!!:drinker:

I think we all know deep down, I find it amazing that I can still eat the things I like and lose weight just by watching my portions. That's my favourite thing that I have learned on MFP :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    oh metoo!! I believed the ticket was portions, but also, I knew I needed to exercise so I would have a little "firm" ya know, as long as possible, LOL:) denise:)

I think we all know deep down, I find it amazing that I can still eat the things I like and lose weight just by watching my portions. That's my favourite thing that I have learned on MFP :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • Kimlane70
    Options
    i agree with kerrilucko about what she said about eat whenever your hungry and your body doesn't know what time it is.....all true....just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in......kim
  • GettingThin08
    Options
    If you go to bed at 11 pm I say you shouldn't eat past...8!
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I go under the same thought as GettingThin08. I don't eat for the last 3 hours (at least) before bed.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    thank you Kim, appreciate your input because the more that agree on something the more secure I feel in it being true. I am not good at research but I do trust gals that have gone before me and experienced what works and what doesn't:) denise:drinker:
    i agree with kerrilucko about what she said about eat whenever your hungry and your body doesn't know what time it is.....all true....just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in......kim
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    My body tells me not to go to bed on a full stomach. So I am pretty much done for the day by 8. Occasionally I will have a lite snack if I have some calories left to eat. But the main thing was to be able to eat a little later if need be, and not worry. Plus, if i do have calories left because I've either procrastinated eating, it's good to know Im not going to gain 10 lbs if I eat a little later than norm.:) Thanks for your input:) I think we all need to listen to our bodies:) denise;)
    If you go to bed at 11 pm I say you shouldn't eat past...8!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thank you for your help as well. If that works for you I say Yessssssssss!!! And usually, as I mentioned before, Im done eating anyway by 6 or 7. Just wanted to get the "skinny" on having to eat something later in order to get in my calories:) denise in Sams Valley

I go under the same thought as GettingThin08. I don't eat for the last 3 hours (at least) before bed.
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times a day 200-300 calories each "mini" meal, and don't eat after 6, except for decaf. tea or water. :drinker:

But if you're really hungary, have a protien water, or some raw veggies.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I think your body will tell you- for instance, if you eat lunch everyday about the same time, and something comes up that makes you run behind, your tummy starts to growl! For me, I try to have dinner fixed by 6 or 6:30, get the dishes loaded and close the kitchen for the evening. I get to bed usually between 10:00 and 10:30. I sleep better, dream less, and wake feeling rested. However, during ball season sometimes it's 8 or 9 before we have dinner but at the same time it may be 11:30 or 12:00 before I get to bed, so I've still got that 21/2 to 3 hours between eating and going to bed! It's whatever you feel good with, but I wouldn't recommend eating heavy and going to bed right after!!
  • ACastle1
    ACastle1 Posts: 101
    Options
    I think you should allow yourself an hour and a half time between eating and going to bed. That gives the food a little time to digest so it won't sit there and turn to fat while you sleep.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I appreciate each and every reply folks!!! I learn something from each of you:) As I mentioned earlier I like to be done with the food intake earlier, say 6 ish, but if I run late, I don't need to worry. And a snack of vegies, whole grain cereal with soy or popcorn seems to work for me. Then I still don't go to bed for atleast another 2 hours:) Yes, I am sleeping so much better now and feel like a million bucks when I wake up too!!! This is all so wonderful and today I found out I may be starting school(just 6 month course)in January!!! 55 and a new career!! I don't think I would have even thought of trying if I hadn't changed my eating habits and exercise! I suddenly feel about 20 years younger, LOL!!!!!!!! Although Im smart enough to remember I am not:) :bigsmile: Love to all, denise in Sams Valley Oregon:)