Coffee helps digestion??

Options
Found an article on MSN stating that coffee can increase your metabolic rate by up to 16%. Everything that I can see on here says that it is bad for weight loss.

The link is:

http://style.uk.msn.com/health/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=156789974&page=4

Anyone know whats right?

Thanks x

Replies

• jocelyne2
    jocelyne2 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well there must be some truth to it because almost every diet pill has massive amounts of caffiene in them :smile:
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    its not the coffee thats bad its the refined sugar and thick cream most people put into it that hinders weight loss.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Still not a fan of coffee.
    It always messes with my stomach.

And I've heard that it can block absorption of nutrients? Not sure how true that is.

Yes the caffeine can increase metabolism. But 16 perecent ??? No way.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    What Amber said. I"ve read many articles about health benefits of coffee. The caffiene increases your metabolism slightly. It's has antioxident levels near green tea. For me, it helps me stay "regular". Coffee just has a bad wrap because of what people do to make themselve like the taste. I just drink the flavored coffees with a splash of unsweetened almond milk.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Everything you put in your mouth raises your metabolism because processing that food and liquid takes energy. Caffeine has a number of beneficial qualities, depending on which studies you read (and believe). Bottom line, if the caffeine doesn't bother you and the things you put in your coffee aren't causing you trouble there's no reason to deprive yourself of your morning cup of joe. :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    it doesnt hinder weight loss unless youre drinking it with cream, or lattés all the time and sugar.
    I drink a lot of coffee, but i drink it with a bit of skimmed milk and a splenda. Hasnt seemed to hinder my weight loss at all
  • twentysixpointtwo
    Options
    it doesnt hinder weight loss unless youre drinking it with cream, or lattés all the time and sugar.
    I drink a lot of coffee, but i drink it with a bit of skimmed milk and a splenda. Hasnt seemed to hinder my weight loss at all

I'm the same... with skim & truvia... No problems so far :)
  • cawood93
    cawood93 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just saw a Dr. Oz show that said drinking a cup of coffee before you eat helps. Maybe there is something on his website. It also depends on what you add to the coffee that would make it unhealthy.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    starbucks venti latté = 290 calories
    home brewed coffee with a dash of skimmed milk = 24 calories

it aint the coffee in it thats the problem :)
  • cL0ver
    cL0ver Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! I drink it black when I drink it see too many scary things about how many calories is in it other than that! So just seems to be good things really!

xx
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I will admit that I am a coffeeaholic. I drink far more coffee than should be consumed by any human being during the day. I drink it black. I have not had issues with my weight loss. I think the worst thing for me is that I tend to replace all of the glasses of water I should be drinking with coffee...hot, cold, or room temp. I can give up sweets, salty, alcohol...whatever I need to, but I'm not giving up my coffee:)
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    straight black coffee is thebest for you
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you do like lattes, just get a smaller size and get skim milk! Nothing unhealthy about milk..
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    straight black coffee is thebest for you

I agree! thats all I drink :-)
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    I will admit that I am a coffeeaholic. I drink far more coffee than should be consumed by any human being during the day. I drink it black. I have not had issues with my weight loss. I think the worst thing for me is that I tend to replace all of the glasses of water I should be drinking with coffee...hot, cold, or room temp. I can give up sweets, salty, alcohol...whatever I need to, but I'm not giving up my coffee:)

Yeah me too :-) I loooove coffee so much!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    One cup of coffee per day has lots of antioxidants and helps prevent diabetes! Stick to one cup to get all of the health benefits. More than that and you're doing harm. Coffee is the largest source of antioxidants for most Americans.