All right, enough is enough ...

Options
Here I am - a myfitnesspal virgin. I'm going on 55 and have had a lot of changes in my life over the past couple of years. I've always struggled with my weight and am finally getting a handle on it, but need more of a "nudge". I was married 32 years and lost my husband very suddenly two years ago. I learned a lot from his death - the most important being that you never know when your time is up and if you keep saying those famous words: "When I have time, I'm gonna ...". You just may learn that you foolishly let that time go. So, my favorite quote right now is "Don't let the music die within you". Get going, girl! Start checking off those things on your things to do list. A year ago I started hiking, kayaking, camping and the scariest thing of all - dating again. I have learned that I really do like hiking and LOVE kayaking and have found a wonderful man who enjoys the same thing. And guess what - he's younger than I am and BOY is that a boost for my ego. But even though I'm active and thought I knew how to eat healthy - I have so much to learn.

I love this site but am pretty dissatisfied with the Exercise categories. Where are the simple things like walking, jogging ... How many calories can you burn when you walk at a moderate pace for 30 minutes? Anyone have information out there?

Well, I wish everyone good luck - keep going and start checking off the things you want to do before it's too late. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kate073153
    Options
    Here I am - a myfitnesspal virgin. I'm going on 55 and have had a lot of changes in my life over the past couple of years. I've always struggled with my weight and am finally getting a handle on it, but need more of a "nudge". I was married 32 years and lost my husband very suddenly two years ago. I learned a lot from his death - the most important being that you never know when your time is up and if you keep saying those famous words: "When I have time, I'm gonna ...". You just may learn that you foolishly let that time go. So, my favorite quote right now is "Don't let the music die within you". Get going, girl! Start checking off those things on your things to do list. A year ago I started hiking, kayaking, camping and the scariest thing of all - dating again. I have learned that I really do like hiking and LOVE kayaking and have found a wonderful man who enjoys the same thing. And guess what - he's younger than I am and BOY is that a boost for my ego. But even though I'm active and thought I knew how to eat healthy - I have so much to learn.

I love this site but am pretty dissatisfied with the Exercise categories. Where are the simple things like walking, jogging ... How many calories can you burn when you walk at a moderate pace for 30 minutes? Anyone have information out there?

Well, I wish everyone good luck - keep going and start checking off the things you want to do before it's too late. :flowerforyou:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Welcome, explore the site. To find different exersices look under the "database" there are some there. If your exersice is not there you may have to search the internet, but I know walking at a variety of speeds is in the database, found at the top of the screen when you go under "exersice".
  • kate073153
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I guess I wasn't looking closely enough.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
    Sounds like you are living life to the fullest. That is fantastic. A younger man...you go girl.
    I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. There is tons of information and it's only a question away.
    Check out this site for your kayaking. It will tell you how many calories.
    Take care, and again, Welcome.
    Renee

www.fitday.com/WebFit/burned/calories_burned_Kayaking.html
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    good luck
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate,
    I'm so very excited for you. I know you will do very well. Congratulations on getting back out there, you're one stop ahead of me. I've been by myself for 2 1/2 years now and still don't have the nerves to start dating again.

www.caloriesperhour.com is where I get my calorie burned for all my activities. They have all kinds of activities listed. Good luck. :smile:
  • kate073153
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good information. Neverbeenskinny - get out there girl. Life is good, but it's really good when you have someone to share it with. It's like riding a bike ...