Incredibly frustrated...

Options
I tried a workout video this morning for the first time. It was supposed to be for beginners and not hard to keep up with dance moves. I couldn't keep up at all.. It wasn't that I was physically hurting or anything, but I couldn't make my feet and arms do what they were supposed to do. After 3 minutes, I was lost completely. I have no coordination apparently, and I am really mad at myself that I couldn't do it. I feel like a failure that I couldn't even do the easy routine.

Are there any that really are for idiots like me who can't keep their feet in line?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I use them every day. You just need to find one that works for you. I get mine at the library and they have a huge selection to choose from.
  • Rogns008
    Rogns008 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I get lot really quick because they go fast. You're up, you're moving go with it and if you follow along great, if not you'll catch on with time. Don't get stressed out! :)
  • crystal10584
    Options
    I was always good at ballet and stuff... then taking hip hop and zumba classes, I get most of it, but it took a while.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Try, try, and try again lady. Dont give up. Would you let your kids just give up on something? I am sooo uncoordinated that my boyfriend says im a bull in a china shop. I look stupid, but I keep doing it because I know I am doing something healthy for my body!
  • amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i've been there. either keep at it, and you will get better at it eventually or get a new one, one thats slower paced, to work you up to where you can keep up with this one! :]
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I have to do a dance video several times before I can follow along. Keep trying. You will feel great once you get it. As long as you are getting your HR up, it's working!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    keep practicing-even if you have to rewind/go back at each step till you get it.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    It is ok if you don't get it right the first time or even the 50th time, the point is your moving. You will get it but you got give it more time. Don't give up!!!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    keep at it..i need to get back into working out @ night. i got the golds gym dance workout thing for the wii, and it is simple stuff, but like you, i could not get coordinated..it was ok tho..i laughed at myself ( tho i felt like a damn fool, and the hubby was watching me ) but just kept up as best i could, and when i was lost, i just kept moving anyways..don't give up, keep trying..best of luck :happy:
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    try watching it a few times without actually doing the moves, just watch what they are doing. I do this before doing my exercise videos, including yoga and circuit training. But people are right, if you are moving and get your HR up, who cares what ya look like?? Make up your own moves, chica! ;)
  • jaelwoman
    jaelwoman Posts: 81
    Options
    Sorry, don't mean to laugh but hahaha....that's totally ME! I just keep plugging away and thank Jesus I'm in my living room!! :laugh:
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Just keep moving. You'll get it! If you've never done dance aerobics it might help if you can go to real class once or twice, too. And if you just hate dancing, there are plenty of workout videos with no dancing at all.
  • tckelly
    tckelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with the TurboFire workouts - there was no way I was going to keep up no matter how many times I watched and practiced. I finally just had to accept the fact that I'm not very coordinated (this is something I was already quite aware of). I do love the TurboFire conditioning workouts though and can keep up with those easily (Upper 20, Lower 20, Abs 10, Core 30, Sculpt 30, etc). For cardio/HIIT training I switched to Jillian Michaels - I currently alternate her 6 Week 6 Pack (level 2), Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, and No More Trouble Zones workouts throughout each week and add in a TurboFire conditioning workout or two after.

Bottom line - if it doesn't work for you, find something else that does...there are soooo many options out there : )
  • centralvalgal
    centralvalgal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok I know it is goofy but when I am really struggling with something I think of Finding Nemo and Dory singing just keep swimming it gives me a better perspective.

Hey Mr Grump Gills
    You know what you gotta do when life gets you down?
    Just keep swimming
    Just keep swimming
    Just keep swimming swimming swimming
    What do we do we swim, swim, swim
    OH HO HO How I love to swim
    When you WAAAAAANNTTT to swim you want to swim
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You should see me in my Zumba class - not always a pretty sight. It doesn't matter though - just keep moving and you'll eventually get it! Hang in there!
  • debbn2011
    Options
    The 1st time is always the hardest, hang in there and your feet will start moving in the right direction. :happy:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support. Made me laugh it off, although I was really upset this morning over it.

I knew I would look stupid so I locked my husband in the bedroom this morning and told him not to come out.

I'm going to try a non-dance video next time. Maybe dance and my disfunctional feet are a bad combination...