Can anyone answer this question?

Options
Hi everyone, I have a question. I just started on Monday and so far so good. My question is this. Yesterday I ate 1530 calories right at my goal for the day and then last night at 9:00 PM I went and played basketball for 45 minutes which ended up burning 450 calories. Do those roll over into today? Thanks!

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    nope! That would have been for yesterday. Count it as an added bonus :]
  • nielsh22
    nielsh22 Posts: 17
    Options
    Dang... I was hoping! thanks!
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    Post on yesterday's diary, don't carry over to today
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    some people believe they do, but I'd suggest just sticking to your goal for the day if you can, otherwise maybe eat 100-200 cal. more.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can roll it over if you want. I do a weekly average, zigzagging my calories from day to day, and just make sure the weekly average is at or slightly below my calorie goal. I use the iPhone app and it has a display for that and does the math for me.
  • nielsh22
    Options
    I was just thinking how nice it would be if they carry over... but I guess it makes sense not too.
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    They were definitely for that day. In fact, it is also very important that you "eat back" any calories that you burn working out. Otherwise your body might enter a starvation mode. Just stay at or close to the calories required total for that day including the excercise. Good luck.
  • nielsh22
    Options
    so your saying last night at 10 PM after burning those calories I should of ate them back last night?
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    so your saying last night at 10 PM after burning those calories I should of ate them back last night?

I dont think so, but some will say different. We dont need a ton of energy (food) right before bed
  • nielsh22
    Options
    I was under the understanding that eating before bed is unhealthy. am i wrong?
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    It is your net calories over time that matter. There is no switch in your body that says, “sorry it’s midnight nothing else counts.” So if you are over your calories by 200 on Monday, Under 200 on Tuesday, then spot on the rest of the week, the net outcome is the same.
  • nielsh22
    Options
    That makes sense. Thanks!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about a 24 hour period. It just makes it convenient for us to add and subtract calories and exercise in a daily time frame. Some people do the math on a weekly basis. Some on a per-meal basis. Just go with what works for you. You're not in a contest with rules where you're competing against other people, you're just in it for you and what works for you is all that matters. Some days I'm over my goal, some days I'm under my goal. I just hope the days I'm under 1) outnumber the days I'm over, and that 2) I'm under by more than I'm over, if you get what I mean. It's a long term journey and one day either way isn't going to make or break it.

Good luck, and stick with it! :)
  • nielsh22
    Options
    Thanks, I just want to hit my goal of losing 2 pounds a week so my biggest question was if I roll over the calories from yesterday is that going to affect my weight loss and it sounds like in the long run it wont.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Thanks, I just want to hit my goal of losing 2 pounds a week so my biggest question was if I roll over the calories from yesterday is that going to affect my weight loss and it sounds like in the long run it wont.

You don’t look big enough to lose 2lbs per week; typically only obese individuals can accomplish that. You should focus on .5 to 1lb per week. And I am referring to weight in body fat; water, stomach, and bowel content will fluctuate and contribute to your weight on the scale.
  • nielsh22
    Options
    I have a belly :)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I was under the understanding that eating before bed is unhealthy. am i wrong?

yes.
    I eat before bed every night.
    Usually cottage cheese or a protein shake.

Theres no reason for it to be unhealthy.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

You don’t look big enough to lose 2lbs per week; typically only obese individuals can accomplish that. You should focus on .5 to 1lb per week. And I am referring to weight in body fat; water, stomach, and bowel content will fluctuate and contribute to your weight on the scale.

Agreed. At your size, if you're losing at 2 pounds per week, chances are you're gonna drop a lot of muscle mass too.
  • nielsh22
    Options
    Thanks!
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    No. Not at night. But if you know you are going to work out then feel free to eat a little more earlier on in the day.