For all who don't feel a 5lb loss is significant...

Options
So I used to think, "ah 5 lbs that's nothing I can gain that in a weekend" and I never considered it a real loss when I lost it thinking "ah it could just be water". True enough, but now I'm down 10 so I know I've lost it. Since it comes off of everywhere and not just one specific place sometimes it's hard to see...so here you go. My profile is a pic of someone holding a replica of what 5 lbs of fat looks like....it's a great accomplishment and you should be proud :)

Replies

• RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    WOW that's gross!! LOL!!! But you are right! I wish I had one the size of 42 lbs!! What in the world would THAT look like?? LOL!! Thanks for the excellent encouragement!!
  • mynameisnotlisa
    mynameisnotlisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww! And yay! :D Thank you - I've been doing the whole "well, it's just water weight" and believing that my weight fluctuates by 2-4 pounds every day, so that really helps. :)
  • dbarfuss
    dbarfuss Posts: 1
    Options
    Agreed with the encouragement! I just barely started myfitnesspal so to see that just makes me even more motivated!! I know I can do it!
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Go to your local grocery store and pick up a 5lb sack of potatoes. It gives you a hands on feel and look at what 5lbs actually is. I recently hit 15lbs lost, so I picked up three bags and held them in front of me. It was amazing!!!
  • RyonsLions2
    Options
    Where is that beautiful place of that picture you have in your profile??
  • khoppe
    khoppe Posts: 1
    Options
    It is gross. Years ago I learned how significant even one pound can be - a nurse friend of mine had me hold one pound of ground beef to help me see how much one to two pounds a week looks like.
  • jahoolie
    jahoolie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well done and thanks so much for the reminder. I haven't lost at all really. A few pounds but I seem to fluctuate daily so I'm not sure it's really lost!

I know the exercise and diet changes are helping. I feel better. The clothes are fitting better. The scale though tells another story.

Ugh! I feel like I've hit a wall and want to see a significant change. I might have to go for a starvation diet instead. No; I won't really but man I'm stuck!!

Thanks to all that post. I find inspiration here daily! Thanks.
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Where is that beautiful place of that picture you have in your profile??
    That's the Grand Sunset Princess in Mexico and I'll be there in a few days :) for the first time!!!
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've lost two of those! How NASTY! I'm so going to go to the store and lift potatoes and ground beef, lol. Talk about effective shock value!
  • RyonsLions2
    Options
    Good idea with the potatoes bags... I can't hold 8 bags that I've already lost!!! WOW!! I still have about 5 or 6 bags to go!! LOL!!
  • kristanickerson
    Options
    Well done and thanks so much for the reminder. I haven't lost at all really. A few pounds but I seem to fluctuate daily so I'm not sure it's really lost!

I know the exercise and diet changes are helping. I feel better. The clothes are fitting better. The scale though tells another story.

Ugh! I feel like I've hit a wall and want to see a significant change. I might have to go for a starvation diet instead. No; I won't really but man I'm stuck!!

Thanks to all that post. I find inspiration here daily! Thanks.

Takes time! Don't give up
  • kristanickerson
    Options
    Go to your local grocery store and pick up a 5lb sack of potatoes. It gives you a hands on feel and look at what 5lbs actually is. I recently hit 15lbs lost, so I picked up three bags and held them in front of me. It was amazing!!!
    you can also do this with pounds of butter...it's closer to the size of fat. :)
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't sound like the wicked witch of the west here, but as much as I would like to feel heartened by this post, seeing as how I've only lost about 5 lbs in almost 10 weeks, it's extremely unlikely when you lose 5 lbs to have lost all of it in fat. Usually it's a combination of muscle mass, fat, and water. So it'd probably be more accurate to picture a 3 lb fat model or something...
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's significant but when you lose weight, you're not just losing fat. You're losing water as well and muscle sometimes.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I live on a small farm and I have to lose 64 pounds total to get to goal. I was picking up feed sacks the other day (50 pounds each) wow they are heavy- WOW I am carrying one of those plus around every day. Whew need to put that sack down!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Somedays when I start feeling like I am not doing good enough I think I have lost 55 pounds and my grandchildren only weigh 42 (first grade) and 34 (three years) so I have lost more weight than a small child.... that really puts it in perspective quickly too :)
  • mrsblair84
    Options
    Wow, I've lost two of those! How NASTY! I'm so going to go to the store and lift potatoes and ground beef, lol. Talk about effective shock value!

Me too...can I get a couple of those? It does look gross though. lol...glad to have gotten rid of it :)
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to do it with bags of flour (5 lb or 10 lb bags). The other day at Sam's Club I picked up three 10-lb bags of flour and was amazed at how heavy they were. I told my boyfriend (who met me about 15 lbs ago and sees me every day, so hardly notices any weight loss) to hold them. He said "seriously?" I said "yes". I handed them over and then told him that that's how much weight I had lost.... He was shocked and I think finally understood what a struggle it's been for me, and what a huge deal having lost the weight was.

Sometimes feeling that physical weight is more significant than any before/after pics can be. :)
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    And even water weight lost does make a difference in your appearance!! When you aren't bloated - with fat or water - you will look tighter and smaller and often less puffy in your face. So whatever the reason, when the scale goes down it's a good thing!!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I always think about a brick of cheese for 2 pounds, and even a stick of butter for a 1/4 of a pound, it really put into perspective that even a half a pound is something. When I was doing WW, they ran a campaign, having people send in their pictures with food (perishables) stacked up equaling their weight loss, it was very profound. I didnt' want to do it till I had reached my goal, but I still plan to do it when I get there.