Chocolate Milk

Options
I have been reading that chocolate milk can actually aid in losing weight. This almost sounds too good to be true, so I wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this. Obviousley, I am not talking about drinking a carton a day, but I have heard a six ounce serving of low fat chocolate milk in the morning, six ounce serving before a workout and a six ounce serving at bed time will help in losing belly flab.

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's really true or not. It gives me an excuse to drink a glass of chocolate milk after my workout.

*six ounce glass of 2% with one table spoon of Hershey's light, only after my workouts.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Chocolate milk has been determined to be one of the best post-workout recovery drinks because of its perfect 4:1 carb to protein ratio. Other than that I don’t know that there are any extra benefits to it.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    There is no miracle food. Low-fat or fat-free chocolate milk in moderation can curb the sweet cravings, and being milk, it is nutritious, but no single food really helps weight loss on its own.
  • vaavamom1
    vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There is no miracle food. Low-fat or fat-free chocolate milk in moderation can curb the sweet cravings, and being milk, it is nutritious, but no single food really helps weight loss on its own.
    very true ...
  • hgunter10
    hgunter10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had read the same article and wasn't sure, but I had a nutritionist tell me two days ago that it is perfect for before and after workouts. I drink skim with light Hershey's syrup.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    It is definately an excuse to drink chocolate milk that is for sure! if you freeze chocolate milk into those popcicle trays that you can find at stores, its like a tasty little chocolate pop for dessert too. JUST FYI!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk has been determined to be one of the best post-workout recovery drinks because of its perfect 4:1 carb to protein ratio. Other than that I don’t know that there are any extra benefits to it.

This is true. Also, dairy calcium has been shown to help aid in the reduction of belly fat. You don't need to get that calcium from chocolate milk, yogurt and plain milk work too. However, chocolate milk is a great recovery drink.

Plus, it has the added benefit of giving you chocolate (...which we all need on a daily basis... ;)).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have some just about every night. Love it!
  • Chantelle160
    Options
    Its good but I wouldn't over do it it is pretty high in sugar. Definitally good for getting rid of sweet cravings.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Whole thread about this last week. I played around with it, but just went back to plain old coconut water. Here is the link to an article about it and a couple of key paragraphs.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

Why it works - "Compared to plain milk, water, or most sports drinks, it has double the carbohydrate and protein content, perfect for replenishing tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy."

Who should use it for recovery - "Ready to switch your bottled water for chocolate milk? Assess your workout level first. Downing a post-workout beverage chock-full of carbohydrates isn't just for the weekend tennis player, said Stager -- and that's key. A drink like chocolate milk is most useful to a cyclist, swimmer, or long-distance runner. These sports stress high endurance levels and constant, sustained movement. Competing athletes need high levels of calories, carbs, and protein to sustain that level of performance."
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It's a good recovery drink from a workout- it has just the right ratio of protein and carbs. It's best as a recovery drink but I also have a glass when I feel like I want icecream but am too lazy to go out or dont want to blow my day.

Is chocolate milk really all that bad a food that so many people have a hard time believing it could be good for you :smile: ? I mean, milk is a good source of protein, and vitamins- does a tablespoon of chocolate syrup make that much of a difference? (There have been a LOT of board questions about this recently)
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    very true ...

But, Chocolate milk may be the closet thing.

American College of Sports Medicine recommends taking in a serving of carbohydrates within 30 minutes of a strenuous workout. Chocolate milk contains these carbohydrates and mainly in the form of sugar which is also critical to muscle recovery. Spiked insulin levels that result from the intake of sugar help force glucose into the muscles, which hastens muscle repair.

Cow's milk is comprised of roughly 80% casein protein and 20% whey protein. Tired muscles readily eat up the amino acids in whey protein while the casein protein is digested more slowly and remains available to your muscles for hours after your workout.
  • Bluesman77
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I wasnt really looking for a sweet, as much as looking for something, ANYTHING to help me with my running :tongue: Guess I need to take Nike's advise and Just Do It.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I wasnt really looking for a sweet, as much as looking for something, ANYTHING to help me with my running :tongue: Guess I need to take Nike's advise and Just Do It.

Exactly! The best thing to do is to just try it, experiment and learn, because the people on here that you ask, maybe be full of S@#!.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Dont know where you are with the whole running thing, but yes, Nike's advice is spot on. I also run and it is all about what you eat in the 24-48 hours before your run and making sure you are well hydrated.