Understanding ounces on food labels

Options
Okay so today I had pasta....the box said 2oz would be 200 calories. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 2oz 1/4 cup? When I was searching the brand type of food one popped up that 2oz was 1 cup cooked. It has me all confused can someone help me??

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I think 2 oz is a cup generally speaking. However, I just weigh it dry and go by grams or ounces.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Well, some pasta expands as it cooks as well, but there is a substantial difference in fluid ounces (measured by cups etc.) and weight ounces.

So...yeah, you'd need to weigh it essentially. Maybe 2 ounces comes out to 1/4 cup, I'm not sure.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, according to my measuring cup, 2oz is 1/4 cup. That's for dry pasta, cooked pasta isn't as accurate because it depends on the amount of water it absorbs.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    Yes, 2oz of most things would be about 1/4 cup. I am pretty sure it is talking about 2oz dry pasta which when cooked is about 1 cup. Hope that helps =)
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Your best bet will be to buy a scale. You can get a pretty nice digital scale for under $20. Worth every penny to know you're eating exactly what you thought you were eating!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    usually, unless otherwise stated on the box, the serving measurements mean pre cooked for dry things like pasta and rice. so it is possible that the 2oz is 1/4 cup, and that when that pasta is cooked, it's size goes up to 1cup.

it'a always better to weight things anyways, that is the most accurate.
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of cooking rotini and weighing it before I ate it. I ate 4 oz cooked but have no idea what to count it as since the bag goes by dry weight. I didn't measure the cooked in cups. Just ounces. I can't find info on how many dry ounces that might have been, so I'm on the same boat as you, sorry!
  • LaurenGiannelli
    Options
    Okay great thank you so much that makes a little more sense with dry compared to cooked. It is difficult to find fluid ounces compared to dry ounces. I appreciate all the comments they helped :)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I always go by the dry/precooked measurements.
  • mhoch
    mhoch Posts: 50
    Options
    Yea the oz on the package is weight not liquid ounces.

What I do for pasta (also rice and quinoa) is to measure out 4 servings using the dry weight. Then when the food is cooked, I weigh it all together to get the total weight cooked. Then I just divide that amount by 4 ( or how ever many servings you weighed dry) to figure out how much one serving will be.

Seems to be working for me. That way I know I wont be over estimating.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Abolish the ounce! Use grams and litres! ;)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Abolish the ounce! Use grams and litres! ;)

+1

and I am in the US.
  • NoPyForYou
    NoPyForYou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yea the oz on the package is weight not liquid ounces.

What I do for pasta (also rice and quinoa) is to measure out 4 servings using the dry weight. Then when the food is cooked, I weigh it all together to get the total weight cooked. Then I just divide that amount by 4 ( or how ever many servings you weighed dry) to figure out how much one serving will be.

This is 100% correct.
  • marisa_munches
    Options
    The confusing thing is that an ounce is a measure of both weight and volume and the two are NOT equal.

An ounce of liquid (volume) = in this case, yes 1 cup = 8 oz so 1/4 cup = 2 oz
    An ounce (weight) = I think this is most likely what your pasta box is referring to, not volume. Therefore, you really can't equate a weight measurement to a volume measurement like 1/4 cup. You have to weigh the pasta on a food scale to know how many servings you're having.

Hope this helps!