Advice on what to do about this?

lovinmamaxo
lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
I think for a fact i have lost inches.. my bra strap is on row 1 now rather than row 3 and it fits comfortably if not a little loose. I think i measured a few days ago at 58 and when i first started at 60. this is the bra area btw. Anyway i have lost 20 lbs in a little over 2 weeks and now the scale hasn't moved in 3 days. I don't know if it's my calorie intake or what? I think i drink plenty of water so i wouldn't think it is that. I exercise almost everyday if NOT everyday. I don't know what i am doing wrong that the scale isn't moving. Maybe someone can offer some more insight for me??

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    If you're having PMS, it could easily cause a stall in your weight loss, or even a temporary gain.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Patience! The scale is but one tool to measure your success--do NOT let it be the ONLY tool! Losing inches is great! The weight will follow. 3 days is nothing in the scheme of the scale--weekly or every two weeks is a better measure of progress. Your weight can fluctuate many times during the day and week.
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Give it a few more days. Depending on how much you have to lose, the pounds might have been melting off at the beginning, but you can expect to work harder for the next ones. Sounds like you're made great progress thus far- so just keep going!
    Three days without change is to be expected.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    The initial big loss is likely water weight. So, once you lose that initial water, the weight will come off a little slower if you are doing it correctly.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    It's only been three days, sometimes I don't see a loss for a week. Give it time.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    20 pounds in 2 weeks is A LOT! It could just be that your body is getting adjusted to the losses. Plus, like the above poster said, 3 days could be anything, give it a week to a month and if the scale still isn't moving, I'd take a look at your activity and diet.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    It is not going to move EVERY day. Esp. since you have lost so much at first. Your body is saying "whoa, somethin is up here". Stay away from the scale for a week and see what happens. 3 days is just your body taking in the changes. Baby steps!
  • casie05
    casie05 Posts: 48 Member
    There could be a few things...your body might be freaking out bc of the 20 lb loss so quickly, or u could also be over training and/or you could be gaining muscle. Take measurements as well that way u can measure real progress bc sometimes the scale is tricky :-)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    20 pounds in two weeks is dangerous and harmful to your internal organs.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    A lot of that could've been water weight. The body can hold onto a lot. Don't expect steady losses. You will most likely see it come off in chunks. And your body is still adjusting to the new changes thrown at it - it can take about a month. You also get temporary weight gain from a new exercise routine due to fluid buildup in the muscles (could also contribute to that first 20lbs).

Keep going at it. You're doing great! The body just needs to 'catch up'.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    I would recommend not getting on the scale everyday. Try weighing yourself once a week at the same day and time. On many days your body can flucuate different weights so weighing yourself daily could get a little depressing.
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Wow girl have some patience LOL

I have been doing this for a month now and I am only down 5lbs and I worked darn hard for those 5lbs. I eat below my calories and i work out everyday. You have to be patient and keep positive. The way I look at it....it took me years to put it all on so I have to think it might take the same to take it all off.
  • Chilimom
    Chilimom Posts: 1
    Weight loss happens in plateaus where you just have to be patient. Do not weigh yourself every day, do it once a week at the same time or else you'll just stress about it.

When your body sheds weight it has to adjust to what's happening so it's got little or no weight to lose for a few days here and there and all of a sudden you'll see that you're losing a lot in a short period of time.

Hang in there, you're still losing weight even if it doesn't show on the scale.
  • AussieLaurelle
    AussieLaurelle Posts: 38 Member
    20lbs in 2 weeks is amazing ! well done. Id be happy with 2 pounds in 2 weeks let alone 20 ! Don't get discouraged !
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Just by looking at your food diary you seem to be having a lot of left over calories.
    I stopped losing because I wasn't eating enough. Netting under 1200 calories a day and not eating my exercise calories.
    Try eating as close to what MFP says to consume and drink water!!! :)
  • kteej
    kteej Posts: 46 Member
    Twenty pounds in two weeks is amazing! Maybe you need a cheat meal. I eat lower calories (under 1000) for three or four days, and then have a cheat meal - which is usually when I'm invited out. At the cheat meal, I don't gorge, but have what I want without counting the calories.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    If you lost 20 that fast your body is recovering (20lbs is a LOT to adjust to- all your organs have to reszie and adjust- your skin is an example)

For sanitys sake, come to terms with the fact that you lost a good amount of water weight and other things that your body was ready to drop right out the gate. From here on out, it will probably be closer to 2 lbs a week (and slow to 1lb eventually). Don't weigh in everyday, don't expect your body to drop it all at once. Slow and steady.

My advice is this: keep eating well (both not going over your cals and not under eating), weigh in 1x a week and manage your expectations. If you exceed 2lbs in a given week- SWEET! but if not, you'll know you are on target anyway. 3days without weight loss isnt a problem, it just means you are getting to the real fat loss.
  • You have had great success so far - congratulations, but, unfortunately, you can't expect that to continue. You can expect to lose fast, or lose slow, or not lose at all, or drop 5 lbs in a week, or drop .5lbs in a week or horrors of horrors - possibly gain! The only consistent thing about weight loss is it's inconsistency.

I read once that a "stall" is not considered a stall unless you have not lost weight AND not lost inches in 4 weeks.

You can't always count on the scale to keep an accurate record of what is happening with your losses. If you need numbers for validation, be sure to take measurements. If the scale is not showing losses, chances are you are still losing inches.

Sometimes what the scale says is too nerve wracking for people so they choose to not get on the scale so frequently.

What you have been doing has been working for you - keep doing what you are doing is what I say!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Patience! The scale is but one tool to measure your success--do NOT let it be the ONLY tool! Losing inches is great! The weight will follow. 3 days is nothing in the scheme of the scale--weekly or every two weeks is a better measure of progress. Your weight can fluctuate many times during the day and week.

I completley agree! We tend to give the scale to much power! Ask yourself how do you feel? Are your clothes looser? Your measurments going down? The answer to the questions are what you need to determine "what to do about this" not what your scale tells you to think!

Also consider the fact that most of us over weight as well as some 'normal weight' people have water retention, so in the begining of weight loss a good collection of the lost weight is water weight that our body is now flusing out. Its not unusual to see a big initial loss then for it to tapper off as your body adjusts and attacks the FAT! Just watch your calorie intake make sure you are eating atleast 1200 calories a day at minimum or your metabolisim will plummet, keep doing your excercises and drinking your water, believe me you will see the difference on and off the scale!!
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Wow girl 20 pounds in two weeks thats awasome, I will be happy if I loose 5 pounds in 2 weeks, I work my *kitten* off everyday except on sundays and I found out that I am not loosing as much weight as I would like to but it is better then gaining or not loosing nothing at all!!!! don't get mad or upset, 3 days is really nothing!!! give it a week or two and you will c the change. Hey good luck with your weight lose and Congrats!!!
This discussion has been closed.