This is getting expensive :)

Options
zundelag
zundelag Posts: 175 Member
I'm fairly new to MFP, but I've been working on loosing weight for about a year or so. I've realized that loosing weight and getting healthy is getting pretty pricey, but not in the buying low-fat food and going to the gym kind of way.

So here it is. Nothing fits anymore. Shirts, I can get away with a little longer I can tuck them in or just let them get a little baggy. My pants keep slipping to the point that belts don't seem to work very well anymore. I got new pants last year because I shrunk out of the previous pairs. Even my rings are looking like I'll have to re-size them soon ( I almost had a ring fly off during a dancing class, how embarrassing).

See? How can I afford to loose weight if I have to keep buying new clothes that fit? Just kidding. It's actually gratifying to see those sizes get smaller every time I go to the store (which doesn't happen very often anyway).

Replies

• madaughters
    Options
    isn't is great! congrats!! time to open up the check book!
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    I can't wait to have this problem!!!!
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I want to have this problem too!!
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I so know what you mean! Everytime i complain about all my clothes being too big the reply I usually get is "That's a good thing".....yea well it's not unless you have money to spend to replace what's not fitting anymore. It's tough, but like you said, it's worth the feeling of the clothes being too big and I am hoping to get to go shopping in the next month or so for a whole new wardrobe!
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Here is a tip. Buy new clothes at consignment shops. I also go to the local salvation army store (Sal's) and I pick up pant real cheep. Jeans are between $2-$5, I just started a new job and now have to wear dress pants so off to the sal's I went. I picked up 7 pairs of dress pants and 2 pairs of jean and the total cost was $40.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. All my dress pants looked horrible they were so baggy. I took them to an alterations lady to take them in, but the butt pockets were going to touch if she took them in to fit. So, I took 6 pair to a consignment shop. I went to Kohls and bought two new pairs of pants. They were on sale for $28.99 ea. and then 30% off that. I also shop Goodwill and other thrift shops for deals.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    :happy: I've discovered the joy of a good consignment shop! Not only can I drop off my too-big clothes, but I can pick up some new pieces to get me through to the next size. Now, when I hit my goal weight (whatever that is), I fully plan on going HOG WILD with the new clothes!!
  • mitts1970
    mitts1970 Posts: 56
    Options
    I'm ready to have that problem too - GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Try thrift store or consignment shops - you can find great gently used clothing that doesn't break the bank :) Enjoy it!!!
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have searched for the best thrift stores in my area and have found some great clothes (name brands) at a great price. I'm going to wear my $5 pants, skirts and tops until I reach my goal weight. Then I will buy two new outfits and more later when I have maintained it for at least two months.
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    I swap clothes with co-workers and friends. This really help me keep the costs of clothes replacement down. I shop the thrift stores too, like Goodwill. I have to dress up for work and its just too expensive to buy new clothes for these in-between stages. Plus, honestly, I have found some GREAT things at Goodwill!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The thrift store is your friend. I'm a self-confessed thrift store junkie. I've been buying the vast majority of my clothing in thrift stores for the past 5 years. The stigma of it being all unfashionable old lady clothes is no longer the case. I get compliments all the time on how I dress and no one would ever guess that I shop in thrift stores unless I tell them. I've bought brand new with tags still on them pieces and pay on average about $4 a piece.

I've found that this has come in extremely handy with my weight loss as I can pick up replacement clothes as I cull my wardrobe for next to nothing. Although, I think I need to lay off for a bit. After doing a quick inventory of my wardrobe yesterday I discovered that I own about 49 skirts.:blushing: Granted, I wear skirts 99.8% of the time but I'm putting a halt to skirt buying until I shrink a bit more. :smile:
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Loose

Loose is an adjective, the opposite of tight or contained.

Lose

Lose is a verb that means to suffer the loss of, to miss.

Sorry....this drives me crazy.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say that a GOOD thing about losing weight is getting new clothes, ummm only if the clothes are free...??? lol. i have been having to buy new clothes too and i hate it :(
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Loose

Lose

Really?! This is what you have to bring to this conversation?

Thanks for the pedantry.
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Loose

Lose

Sorry I must have loosed my mind.

Really?! This is what you have to bring to this conversation?

Thanks for the pedantry.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Donate what you don't want anymore and didn't bother to wear last year.
    Give clothes away to friends.
    Switch rings to other fingers.
    Start shopping in your own wardrobe of smaller clothes.

Great problem to have though, congratulations.
  • sntfrmabv
    Options
    Its the best feeling in the world isnt it?? I understand where you are coming from which is why when losing weight, I shop at places like discovery and Forever 21....the clothes are cheap and you have no guilt about buying them and tossing them or storing them for future reference.
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And I cannot wait til I have this problem! :D
  • zundelag
    zundelag Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Loose

Lose

Sorry, I should watch my spelling better. :blushing: Actually, I didn't realize lose was a word.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!