HRM Daily Calories Burned

Options
Hello, I'm new here within the last week, trying to get a schedule down for everything. I purchased a heart rate monitor right away, as I wanted to know when I was exercising what I am burning. I decided to wear it all day 2 days in a row to see what I burn just normal living. I find that the count is a lot higher than what this (and all other) websites suggest for what I burn in my daily living. I have a desk job, but I'm not sitting still all day. But I'm definitely not the high end, active all the time one. According to the HRM, I burn nearly 3,000 calories without adding the exercise in. I think I have a decent HRM, one that I found highly suggested everywhere I looked. It does have the band around my (lower) chest area and seems very accurate. I am larger so I know that has something to do with it too. But is this unusual? Should I go by what it says I burn or by what the site says? I just feel like I'm starving when I eat what the site says, and it's hard to stick to that number. Please help!!

Replies

• jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i've heard that the hrm aren't intended for usage 24/7
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    No they're not. You will not get an accurate reading. I tried this. They are meant to be worn for specific activity. If you are looking for something to be worn 24/7 try BodyBugg or BodyMedia Fit.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I applaud your effort to measure your total daily calorie expenditure, but sadly, HRM's are only really accurate for estimating calories during aerobic exercise. Not so much for daily activity.

You can get a pretty close estimate by punching all your info into an online calculator like this one.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-metabolism-calculator

Alternately, you can invest in a fitbit, bodybugg or bodymedia fit device, as those are meant to estimate total daily calories burned.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    No they're not. You will not get an accurate reading. I tried this. They are meant to be worn for specific activity. If you are looking for something to be worn 24/7 try BodyBugg or BodyMedia Fit.

This ^. Your average HRM is meant for exercise only.
  • khicks91011
    khicks91011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i would recommend only using it for the time your exercising only
  • JCouturier
    Options
    Thanks all! I didn't know much about HRM before I got one, so that's good to know.