Healthy Cheese?

Options
It's not like I'm a cheese fanatic, but I do tend to put cheese in my omelettes, sandwhiches, wraps etc.. or the occasional cheese with apple snacks.
I usually buy cheddar, but even the small amount I use ends up coming to 200 calories and over 10g of fat, I don't think its worth it for cheese!
Is swiss or mozzerlla better for you? or Parmasan or Feta, or is there reduced fat cheese?
I'm trying to cut some of my favorite foods out, but I don't think I'm willing to lose cheese. But I can compromise with it, healthy alternatives?
:heart:
Thanks~

Replies

• Mimiche
    Options
    It's not like I'm a cheese fanatic, but I do tend to put cheese in my omelettes, sandwhiches, wraps etc.. or the occasional cheese with apple snacks.
    I usually buy cheddar, but even the small amount I use ends up coming to 200 calories and over 10g of fat, I don't think its worth it for cheese!
    Is swiss or mozzerlla better for you? or Parmasan or Feta, or is there reduced fat cheese?
    I'm trying to cut some of my favorite foods out, but I don't think I'm willing to lose cheese. But I can compromise with it, healthy alternatives?
    Thanks~
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I buy no name reduced fat cheeses. for swiss 30g is about 90 cals, for mozzarella it's 100 cals for 30g and cheddar is 110cals for 30g. I love cheese, couldn't live without it, lol.
  • Jennifer09
    Options
    Try Laughing cow cheese. The cheese bytes are my favorite and they are spreadable; very low in fat and calories. They also have the mini babybell gouda wheels in a "lite" option. Those are great with apples.:wink:
  • lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There is also fat free shredded cheddar cheese that I use in my omlettes. I believe that it is Kraft brand.... 45 calories for 1/4 cup.
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    Feta cheese is delicious and a very little bit goes along way since it has such a strong flavor.

The good: it is a great source of riboflavin, protein, calcium, phosphorus and Vitamin B12.
    The bad: it has a high cholesterol and sodium content. It comes with high saturated fat.
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Part-skim mozzarella is like 80 calories per ounce, I use a FF feta in my salads that is only 35 calories an ounce, both very yummy. Have you looked into Veggie cheese, for vegetarians/vegans, they make good fakes, and are probably lower calories and fat :bigsmile:
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just bought the laughing cow cheese as well! Haven't tried it yet, but I love the idea, because it's spreadable, and it's portioned for you!
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Kraft makes a good fat free swiss. It melts realy easily.
  • Mimiche
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll look into these cheeses, I may try the Laughing Cow! :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin for a later day read
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I always buy reduced fat or fat free, stll tastes the same to me!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cut the cheese honey:bigsmile: :laugh: I know I know, shame on me, LOL:) Im new around these parts but for me, Mozarella is perdy decent. I don't go big on cheese either. Also, on omelettes? I like to use Parmesan sometimes. I think like I've been told, moderation is the ticket. Have a great day!!!!! We're all winners!!!!! denise in Sams Valley

Thanks~
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, how could I forget!!! I always keep Laughing Cow in my fridge!!! I love it on Multi-grain crackers and also celery too:) denise:) PS French Onion is my fave:)

Thanks everyone! I'll look into these cheeses, I may try the Laughing Cow! :flowerforyou: