In need of some support

Options
I'm currently in that part of my journey that I like to call the "in between". I've lost a little weight, and it's kind of noticable, but not noticable enough that someone will say that I really look different. My clothing is looser on me, where it doesn't really look good, but it's not big enough to the point where it's unwearable or where I've dropped a dress size. I guess I can say that I'm steadily loosing weight, but when I look in the mirror, I still can't tell just where. It's really depressing and disheartening, especially when I go into a store like: "The Avenue" where I want to buy a pair of pretty tights and they only have them available in the larger size or seeing people that are 10 times smaller than me trying on all this stuff that I like, over and over. It's like torture. The worst part is with my co-workers. All of them are a lot smaller than me and day in and

day out I see them eat all this crap (mcdonalds, chips, munchkin, cup a noodle) thingsi used to eat - I haven't had pizza in like 3 months I'm sure-and I want to cry because it seems so easy for them like they could eat whatever the hell they want and not gain weight and I don't know how. Cause I have to sit here; depriving myself constantly because I'm terrified of going over my calories. I have to try so hard to lose even half a pound and I just want too cry. People tell me that these girls might look niced on the outside but on the inside they could be really unhealthy or it'll hit them later in life, but I honestly can't bring myself to believe that. Sigh.

Replies

• libbyadams2010
    libbyadams2010 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I so feel the same way... I keep telling myself that when people start noticing then I will get the motivation to keep going but I've lost 17 pounds all together and not one person has said a word to me except my husband and a girl I work with that knows how hard I'm trying. I had to fight myself not to eat a cheeseburger at lunch and then wanted pizza for supper but didn't have it opted for soup instead... It's tough but in the end I know it's going to be so worth it...
  • 22Tweety
    22Tweety Posts: 4
    Options
    Keep your chin up....my trick for when I need (want) pizza....just found this recipe. I modify it sometimes based on what I have for calories, etc for the day, add more veggies, maybe some turkey sausage, but gives me what I need and keeps the calories down. Keep going you can do it!

Gourmet Hula Pizza
    Serves 1

• 1 low fat whole wheat flour tortilla (8” diameter)
    • 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
    • 3 tbsp goat cheese crumbles
    • 3 tbsp drained canned diced pineapple
    • 1 ½ tsp finely chopped cilantro

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F
    2. Place tortilla on nonstick baking sheet. Bake 2 to 4 minutes per side or until crisp. (If air bubbles form whole baking, poke them with a fork, then use spatula or oven mitt to carfully press air out)
    3. Remove tortilla from oven and tip evenly with sauce, cheese, pineapple, and cilantro. Bake 2 to 4 minutes longer, or until cheese is completely melted. Slice into sedges and serve.

Calories 217
    Total Fat (g) 7
    Sat. Fat (g) 3
    Carbs (g) 35
    Fiber (g) 2
    Protein (g) 7
    Sodium (mg) 484
    Cholesterol (mg) 10
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am with you. It is really hard when you are working so hard and no one is noticing....HOWEVER...Think about how much better you feel. Try doing measurement also so you can see that change too. Somedays I feel great and others I get discouraged and want to give up, but it is worth it! You are doing this for YOU!! You can do this!!!!!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you ease up on yourself. I manage to eat pizza and fit it into my calories ... I am making a change I can live with for the rest of my life and I definitely CAN'T live without pizza. Stop worrying about anyone around you ... this is about you -- doing what is right and best for you. It is easy to judge the surface of other peoples lives but the truth is usually something quite different -- some of those thin women may be purging when you don't see it, or working out for hours each week. I would be happy to be your friend...you would be surprised at what I eat ... but I am slowly losing.
  • MommyLumpkin
    Options
    I know what you're going through. I lost alot of inches right at first and everyone was commenting all the time on how different I look and now I think everyone's just sick of talking about it. lol You might just give yourself a little extra money this month to do buy something new that wouldn't have fit before you started this. One pair of jeans fitting just right can get some compliments. Also, those girls eating whatever they want, really probably aren't that healthy on the inside. They are also not a source to look to for support so just ignore them or go eat somewhere else for lunch. What you are doing is not only good for you but good for everyone who loves you and wants you to be around for a long time. Weight loss isn't easy. If it were, we wouldn't be the fattest country on the planet. Each one of those half pounds will add up over time. It's a process. Also, are you measuring too? When you see those inches coming off, it makes it so much more worthwhile. If you want to add me as a friend, I would love to have you! I believe that weight loss and healthy living is 70% portion control, 30% exercise and 100% support so anytime you need a friend, let me know!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The worst part is with my co-workers. All of them are a lot smaller than me and day in and

day out I see them eat all this crap (mcdonalds, chips, munchkin, cup a noodle) thingsi used to eat - I haven't had pizza in like 3 months I'm sure-and I want to cry because it seems so easy for them like they could eat whatever the hell they want and not gain weight and I don't know how. Cause I have to sit here; depriving myself constantly because I'm terrified of going over my calories. I have to try so hard to lose even half a pound and I just want too cry. People tell me that these girls might look niced on the outside but on the inside they could be really unhealthy or it'll hit them later in life, but I honestly can't bring myself to believe that. Sigh.

They are quite possibly much more unhealthy than they look from the outside. My question is ... why are you totally depriving yourself 100% from foods you love? If you want a slice of pizza, have one. Just do it in moderation and add an extra walk that day ... or the next day. The was the BIGGEST thing I had to combat myself. If I cut out something I liked completely, I'd just sit an obsess over not being able to have it, resenting those that were eating it ... and nothing else I ate tasted good b/c it wasn't that "one" thing I wanted.

I learned if I allow myself to endulge in a little bit of the things I love in moderation, then the other foods taste great too, I know that I can have a treat and eat what everyone else is eating ... now and then ... and I am MUCH healthier than those who are eating that stuff constantly and I don't resent anyone eating my favorite food b/c I'm not depriving myself of them completely. Might be something to consider/try??? Good luck ... don't let those co-workers get you down. It's all about you! :)
  • MommyLumpkin
    Options
    I so feel the same way... I keep telling myself that when people start noticing then I will get the motivation to keep going but I've lost 17 pounds all together and not one person has said a word to me except my husband and a girl I work with that knows how hard I'm trying. I had to fight myself not to eat a cheeseburger at lunch and then wanted pizza for supper but didn't have it opted for soup instead... It's tough but in the end I know it's going to be so worth it...

Just remember that most people are so self-involved, with their noses stuck in a smart phone, they wouldn't notice a bus drive in front of them, much less an acheivement that someone sitting right in front of them has accomplished.
  • siw_S
    siw_S Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi...! I just read your message, and i wanted to answer to you... As you can imagine i have problem with my weight too :) so i can totally understand how you feel... it is difficult for all of us, to lose all that weight, And it is unfair, indeed, watching other ppl leaving "normal lifes" eating what they want, not worrying about what they are going to wear. But the truth is, no one can do it for us, if we cant. If we dont lose that weight, we will never have the life we want, we will never be able to wear all that beautiful clothes. This is the only thing we have to remind to ourselves: if we give up, noone will fix it for us. We have to do it..You have to do it, no matter how difficult it seems. There are people that have made it through, and so we will.. But you have to remind to yourself, that you have to do it, you want to do it, and it will make you happier. Moreover, you say, these people are lucky, but you never know, what other problems they may have in their lifes. I know, handling with your weight is very difficult, but just because sb is thin, doesnt make them luckier than us, on the whole. Keep up the good work, and it shall be great :)
  • Christiane81
    Options
    You are not alone in this and just remember that things are happening....you did not gain weight overnight nor will you lose it overnight. You cannot deprive yourself or you will remain unhappy, still eat the foods you love just make them healthier. We make turkey burgers all of the time with the 99% LF ground turkey, you cannot tell the difference if you spice it right. We also add carrot or sweet potato fries and it makes a healthier version of the favorites! As far as pizza goes, there are so many lowfat versions out there but try to have 1 piece of the real thing, just balance it with your caloric intake and perhaps workout a little bit harder...you can do it, we all can!
  • Chicka_Boom
    Options
    I'm currently in that part of my journey that I like to call the "in between". I've lost a little weight, and it's kind of noticable, but not noticable enough that someone will say that I really look different. My clothing is looser on me, where it doesn't really look good, but it's not big enough to the point where it's unwearable or where I've dropped a dress size. I guess I can say that I'm steadily loosing weight, but when I look in the mirror, I still can't tell just where. It's really depressing and disheartening, especially when I go into a store like: "The Avenue" where I want to buy a pair of pretty tights and they only have them available in the larger size or seeing people that are 10 times smaller than me trying on all this stuff that I like, over and over. It's like torture. The worst part is with my co-workers. All of them are a lot smaller than me and day in and

What you're trying to do is to completely change your life, improve your health, and live longer & better. That is not an easy undertaking! It takes courage, conviction, and strength. You've already shown that you possess these qualities by getting started and sticking with it so far. You’re through the hardest part: you made the decision to improve your health and then you did something about it - you broke free from the inertia that rules most of our lives.

Don’t look at what other people are doing or eating, look at yourself. This isn’t about them – it is 100% about YOU. Feel proud when you make responsible, sustainable choices, and when you slip up, just brush it off and try again tomorrow! Your body is an incredible machine that carries on millions of processes every second without you even having to think about it; it breaks down food in the most efficient manner possible to provide you with energy, moves oxygen and nutrients to areas that need it so that they can function, and allows you to move, speak, and think. Your body is amazing and there isn’t anything wrong with it. What you are doing is making a conscious effort to take care of your awesome body so that it can perform at its best and keep doing so for many years to come - that is something to be truly proud of.

It may be impossible to completely squash the voice of self-doubt, but you’ve got to try. When you start criticizing yourself, stop, take a deep breath, and instead list all of the things you love about yourself. When you start judging other people for their weight or eating habits, stop yourself, and try to remember that they are the ones in charge of their bodies, and you are the one in charge of your body. Negativity multiplies - but so does positivity!

Try to think of eating right and exercising as something you’re doing for yourself because you are amazing, not because you want to fit into that dress or impress that dude/lady. And, for the love of god, eat a piece of pizza! Not every day, and not an entire pie, but allow yourself to have a slice every so often – you’ve earned it.
  • Chicka_Boom
    Options
    I recommend that you ease up on yourself. I manage to eat pizza and fit it into my calories ... I am making a change I can live with for the rest of my life and I definitely CAN'T live without pizza. Stop worrying about anyone around you ... this is about you -- doing what is right and best for you. It is easy to judge the surface of other peoples lives but the truth is usually something quite different -- some of those thin women may be purging when you don't see it, or working out for hours each week. I would be happy to be your friend...you would be surprised at what I eat ... but I am slowly losing.

Yes, absolutely this. Any change you make - be it to your eating habits or exercise routine - MUST be something that you can do FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Otherwise you are not going to be able to sustain the change, and you risk winding up frustrated, falling back into old habits, and regaining whatever weight you've lost.

If you are miserable without pizza (or carbs, or sweets, or whatever it is you think you aren't allowed to eat) you will never be able to do this for the rest of your life. You CAN still enjoy those things - in moderation, on occasion, and without any guilt.
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me for some extra support. Don't get discouraged, just keep on with your rockin self and show everyone what you got in you and just know that it does take time but you are doing it. Just think how much better you feel and as far as your co-workers just stay strong and allow yourself one day to be a little bad because it will help you out in the long run. I really hope things work out for you and this site has been a fantastic motivator and I have found soooo many great friends through here. You can do this, just be patient and record all the little milestones that you accomplish because they matter :-) Good luck!