I did the unthinkable!

Options
oddyogi
oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
So a big NSV for me today. DH and I went to Chili's for lunch because we got a giftcard from our class last night.. and man oh man did I want something greasy and tasty. When we used to go to Chili's before we stopped eating out so much, I would pretty much get whatever I wanted and we would split an order of Texas Cheese Fries. Well, today I looked at all of the nutritional information on their website, and I went with the grilled salmon with steamed rice and broccoli (and no butter) for 520 calories.. and I was sticking with it.. and then I saw the back of the menu with the soups and half sandwich lunch combos. Man, those sandwiches looked yummy.. I almost convinced myself that they couldn't be TOO high in calories, but I didn't! I stuck with my original decision and knew exactly how many calories I was eating!

This is agreat victory for me.. I used to be the person that would live in the now, and worry about the consequences later. I want to see that number keep going down, and the best way to predict the future is to create it!

Replies

• Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Nice!! Im still having a hard time with that one. Its like I sit in a restaurant booth and I just dont feel like im doing the place justice without eating that "craving" food. I cant wait till I can stick to my guns and eat healthy every time! (I do sometimes, just not always lol)

Great job tho!!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Great job! I always look at the menu inof online before I go out to eat - really eye opening. And the great feeling of being in control and sticking to your plan will stay with you much longer than any momentary enjoyment you would have gotten from indulging.
  • oddyogi
    Options
    Great job! I always look at the menu inof online before I go out to eat - really eye opening. And the great feeling of being in control and sticking to your plan will stay with you much longer than any momentary enjoyment you would have gotten from indulging.

I know right! I can't believe the amount of calories that are in some of the dishes I used to consider "not that bad." I know I would have regretted it had I chosen something on a whim. Planning meals out is the best tool I've used so far, even if it's only mentally planning for lunch while I'm sitting at my desk in the morning.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!!!!! I have to stay out of chilli's so i don't order the chicken ranch sandwich.
  • IdaMoreno38
    IdaMoreno38 Posts: 105
    Options
    And I bet after your awesome dinner you felt WONDERFUL that you didn't go the "other" route! You deserve a HUGE pat on the back! Keep doing what your doing and in no time you'll reach your goal! Good luck hun!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    That is great...you stick to the choice you knew was low in calories!! Good for you. I love that we can check out the nutritional fact before we get there so we are educated in our choices.

Great job!

2639362.png
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    That is terrific!
    Kudos to you!
    I think it gets easier...not real sure but I want to think so.
    LOL
    We went out to Zesto's last night as a post-volleyball game WIN and Dh and the kids all got ice creams and sodas.
    I had packed my string cheese and water bottle in case I got a snack attack ( I take them everywhere with me now ).
    I had 3 licks of my Dh's ice cream cone and it just really didn't appeal to me so I had my string cheese and H2O.
    I was so stinkin proud of myself.
    Yes, I logged the licks of ice cream too but I put 1/4 cup since it doesn't go by licks...lol
    Here is to creating that new reality!!!:happy:
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have a weakness for sweets. I have done well when we go somewhere and avoided the dessert menu. However, my neighbor made a blueberry banana cream pie and brought it to us yesterday. I had to take it. I had a piece and I did not regret it. I will just have to work hard the rest of the week to equal out.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    WTG! A couple girlfriends and I have a "meeting of the minds" every Thursday and we have lunch at a different resturant. I always look at the menu ahead of time to decide what to eat. It definatley helps stya on track.
  • LyndseyMcKnight7
    Options
    Good for you! I went to Olive Garden with my husband the other night and had researched the calories for what I was eating before I went. I had my meal planned out in my head, and was even going to have a breadstick and a glass of wine. Well, there was a 45 minute wait, so after my first glass of wine, came my second, and then the inhibitions went out the window :( I ate something horrible and felt horrible afterward. I weighed myself two days later and was down a pound. I still need to work on control when I am out to eat, but I was happy to see that I could induldge and still reap some benefits!
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Before I go out to eat, I have to plan what I will eat so I don't make any bad decisions.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    you are awesome!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    ...the best way to predict the future is to create it!

Best thing I've heard all day--awesome!
  • oddyogi
    Options
    ...the best way to predict the future is to create it!

Best thing I've heard all day--awesome!

It's one of my favorite quotes.. I heard it on one of Jay Johnson's DVD's and it just stuck with me! He also has many more motivating lines! He's pretty awesome. :)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Great job, Ashley!!!!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I looooooooooooooooooooove Chilies grilled salmon... I go to Chilies just to get it. It's sooooooooo yummy. Good for you for making a great choice!
  • fishermanwife
    Options
    wow no wonder why im fat i just looked and an oldtimer hamburger is 800 calories and 1660 sodium thats without my fries and 2 sodas omg im glad ive gotten use to eating at home
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    WTG!!! We are proud of you!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I looooooooooooooooooooove Chilies grilled salmon... I go to Chilies just to get it. It's sooooooooo yummy. Good for you for making a great choice!

I've now had the Chilies grilled salmon twice this week.... I seriously love it...
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Rock on! I find if I do the preplanning and then go ahead and prelog tricky situations like that it makes me more inclined to stick with it. I'd really feel bad about deleting my healthy entries and logging junk instead, LOL.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!