Breastfeeding and losing baby weight

Options
I am about a week and a half away from having my first baby and I'm anxious to get back to my pre-baby body. I've gained about 40 pounds and I plan to breast feed for the first six months at least.

I know you can cut too many calories from your diet which affects your milk supply, so I don't want to diet too soon, but I want to ease myself back into calorie counting/mindful eating. If I would typically consume about 1400 - 1500 calories/day pre-pregnancy, how many should I be looking at post-pregnancy while breastfeeding?

Replies

• LyonInLondon
    LyonInLondon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/about_4598063_many-do-burn-day-breastfeeding_.html

My sister-in-law has breast fed both her children up to about 1yrs old and she lost her baby weight rather quickly and looks great. Supposedly, there are studies that show that breastfeeding is both good for your baby and for you (supposedly, the hormones you release while breast feeding help your body recover).

All the best for your delivery!!
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor. I have heard that breast feeding helps you get back your shape, and loose the baby tummy. Good luck to you and congrats on the baby! :)
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I would ask your ob/gyn about it, I'm sure she's been asked lots of times before and should have the answer. Also, remember that breast feeding burns TONS of calories. Good luck!! (:
  • pariskelly
    pariskelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had always heard allow 500 extra calories while breast feeding. Breast feeding really helped me lose a lot of the baby weight. I kind of wish I was still doing it! LOL.
  • sexyprincess69
    Options
    Hi I Breastfed both of my girls for up to a year they are now 5 and 3 I did lose some of my baby weight however I am still trying to lose more after 3 years
  • SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have been breastfeeding for about 11 months now. You have to eat 500 extra calories a day to keep your milk supply up. Some women lose weight fast while some do not. I am one of those who did not lose it that easily, my body has held on to most of the weight. I gained about 50 pounds during my pregnancy and I have lost about 35. 20 of those pounds I lost after a few weeks of giving birth and I just started a diet that shouldn't affect my supply too much I am doing the no sugar no flour diet and I have lost an additional 10 pounds so far so it will take time but you can do it.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I consume a minimum of 1700 calories per day. If I exercise, I increase my intake. My daughter is 8 months old and I am still breastfeeding and losing weight. I am currently 8 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant with her. I have hit a few patches here and there where it seems like I don't have enough milk for her, but I don't think that is a cause of counting calories. I think it's a typical supply and demand/growth spurt type of thing. I hit one around 3 months and am in one again right now. I am a working mom so pumping doesn't adequately allow me to naturally adjust to her needs. I have had to increase the number of times I pump per day and my supply is slowly increasing. I have heard people make the point (and I think it is a valid point)...that women in third world, faminied countries breastfeed. So I wouldn't worry too much about your supply being affected by your calorie intake. That being said, you/your body is going to suffer if you don't give it the nutrients you need. Like I said, I eat a bare minimum of 1700 per day and am consistently losing 1-2 pounds per week and have successfully breastfed (not an ounce of formula) my 8 month old daughter. Don't cut your calories too much. There is no need to. The biggest thing that I have noticed affect my supply is water. DRINK, DRINK, DRINK water!!! I drink approx a gallon a day! Keep yourself hydrated. Seriously!
  • young1726
    Options
    And by the way...congratulations on your baby!! Good luck in the next couple weeks/months/years!! :)
  • merrilyigoalong
    merrilyigoalong Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's great to hear! I will definitely keep this all in mind!
  • merrilyigoalong
    merrilyigoalong Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    And thanks all for the well wishes! I am very excited!!
  • wyomingmama
    wyomingmama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I consume a minimum of 1700 calories per day. If I exercise, I increase my intake. My daughter is 8 months old and I am still breastfeeding and losing weight. I am currently 8 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant with her. I have hit a few patches here and there where it seems like I don't have enough milk for her, but I don't think that is a cause of counting calories. I think it's a typical supply and demand/growth spurt type of thing. I hit one around 3 months and am in one again right now. I am a working mom so pumping doesn't adequately allow me to naturally adjust to her needs. I have had to increase the number of times I pump per day and my supply is slowly increasing. I have heard people make the point (and I think it is a valid point)...that women in third world, faminied countries breastfeed. So I wouldn't worry too much about your supply being affected by your calorie intake. That being said, you/your body is going to suffer if you don't give it the nutrients you need. Like I said, I eat a bare minimum of 1700 per day and am consistently losing 1-2 pounds per week and have successfully breastfed (not an ounce of formula) my 8 month old daughter. Don't cut your calories too much. There is no need to. The biggest thing that I have noticed affect my supply is water. DRINK, DRINK, DRINK water!!! I drink approx a gallon a day! Keep yourself hydrated. Seriously!

Yep! I have lost my baby weight from my two kids from breast feeding! Over 85 pounds in the past 3 years. I never did have much time to exercise so I watched my intake! It can be done! But Fitness is very important. Even taking a walk. I give myself 1 month after the baby to relax then I hit it hard. I lost 30 pounds in 7 months from chasing my two year old and eating right!
    So excited for you!
    Good Luck!
  • kuaaina
    kuaaina Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did not lose any of the baby weight until after I stopped nursing. I had my two children less than a year apart so I gained roughly 50lbs with #1 and 30lbs with #2. I weaned my second son at 6.5 months and did not start losing weight until he was roughly 7.5 months. I lost roughly 10lbs quickly and have been struggling w/ the last 20-25 for three years.

FIrst and foremost do not try to diet those first 6-8 weeks post partum. You need to heal. Think about losing weight and working out after you have your checkup with your OB following your delivery.

You will have a lot of changes coming. A new baby and breastfeeding are very tiring. I wish you a quick delivery and a healthy baby!!!
  • young1726
    Options
    My two babies are 13 months apart. I lost all but three pounds of my first pregnancy weight before getting pregnant with the second...and as I stated earlier, have lost all my weight from my second pregnancy. I think, if you watch your calorie intake, you can and will lose weight. I think that some people have the mindset that breastfeeding is an easy way to lose weight. I guess in a way it might be (it burns an additional approx 500 cals per day that you wouldn't normally burn), but I think that some people don't really watch what they eat while doing it...eating more than they really need and in turn not really losing weight. I hear people tell me all the time that they are so HUNGRY while they're breastfeeding. It's true, I could eat all the time. But I normally (without breastfeeding) can eat all the time! Eat healthy snacks throughout the day and use this site to a T and you will lose weight. Also, I agree with others...give yourself some time after the baby is born to just relax a little. I didn't start until a month after both my babies were born.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    I've got 3 kids and can't get off the last 10 lbs. until I wean. The one thing BF does for me is to slim my hips & thighs (unfortunately that's right where I re-gain if my weight yo-yos up later).

Congrats!
  • SavBrookeS
    SavBrookeS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    First off, Congrats,
    Second off, I'm nursing and am not having luck with losing weight even though I was dieting and exercising. I'm going to continue to exercise and not be so rigorous on my food intake, just try to eat more fruits/veggies/protein
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Typically about 500 calories when you are exclusively breast feeding. Once babe is starting to get more calories from food, that will decrease a bit. That will really only be an issue if you breastfeed more than the 6 months. Good luck and enjoy your precious new miracle!
  • tayba85
    tayba85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I seriously need help losing at least 10kg in 8 weeks!!! Im exclusivly nursing, eating about 1500 cal per day.. I get really demoralised when the scale isnt budging!
    We have a family wedding in 8weeks and i need some confidence...and advice on how i can achive my goal...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I seriously need help losing at least 10kg in 8 weeks!!! Im exclusivly nursing, eating about 1500 cal per day.. I get really demoralised when the scale isnt budging!
    We have a family wedding in 8weeks and i need some confidence...and advice on how i can achive my goal...

Build a time machine and start 12 weeks ago. You're not going to lose that amount of weight in 2 months unless you are extremely overweight or unless you do something drastic that will screw up your body and your milk supply. 1 lb per week is realistic weight loss for the amount of weight you want to lose. Start now, do it in a healthy manner by eating your calorie goal PLUS extra calories for breastfeeding and exercise, and in 8 weeks you'll be in a better place than you are now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • 8ritt55
    8ritt55 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly finished with my pregnancy and we're getting ready to have our son any day now! I plan on bf to help with weight loss, but as mfp settings are now, it saying I should be consuming 1,200 cals per day to lose by my goal date, seems really low.