Too tired to exercise

Options
How in the heck are you supposed to do cardio (or anything for that matter) when you're tired and worn out? Ugh... just want to go to sleep. Thinking I probably rest and hit the jogging in the morning.

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Sleep is almost as important for repair and weight loss as exercise.

Go to bed early, keep your cals w/in their limit and you'll be fine :)
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I try to do something small, like a slow jog when I'm feeling really tired. Otherwise I tend to take multiple days off. Usually, I find that I more have energy than I thought I did once I start moving.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    If your body is that tired, then rest it. If its more of a mental thing then you have decide if you really need the rest or not.
  • xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find that a lot of times when I am really feeling worn out if I just get up and start that I will get a burst of energy and I will feel refreshed and revived after my workout. Everyone that said you need your rest is correct. Exercise and rest go hand in hand.
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am usually tired after work, but find once I start exercising I feel better and have a little energy afterwards.
  • sunshine121980
    Options
    I feel the same way...I work 12 hour shifts and am a full time mom to 3 energetic kids ages 3-7...I am exhausted!!!!!
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If your body is that tired, then rest it. If its more of a mental thing then you have decide if you really need the rest or not.

Exactly what she said. :happy:
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I agree with the other folks - rest if you need it. Be careful not to get into a rut though, where you think - Ah, I'll just do it tomorrow. I do it all the time and suddenly, it's a week later...I haven't worked out and I'm still tired! ;-)
    Just do something little - jumping jacks during commercials, yoga...something. 15 minutes of a small thing is still something.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    This is the giant paradox in regards to exercising:

Exercise gives you more energy and helps you sleep better.....but I don't have any energy to Exercise"

Solution: Start Slow. Find some small additions to your workday that you can fit in easily enough. Go for a walk on your lunch, or go for a stroll after dinner. Do that every day for a couple weeks and you'll find your head is clearer and sleep more restful.

From there, add in some other activities. Do 20 Push-ups every morning when you get out of bed....whatever floats your boat.

You needn't be in a gym for an hour every night to be active.

Find what works for you and build on it. Every little bit counts for something. :-)

Cheers!
  • alyssasmom0203
    Options
    Rest, rest, rest. Your body is telling you, that you need a little break. So listen to it and rest, and in the morning you can exercise. Its fine as long as you watch your calorie intake. :o)
  • RobertV1452
    RobertV1452 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes You NEED to make sure you are getting enough sleep. If you force youself to do cardio when you are tired you will notice better results when you are ready and wanting to cardio. Some days You just need to force yourself to work out.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do it anyway and I feel 1000% better afterwards. I'm always tired when I head to the gym but it helps me get through the rest of my night and make smart choices at dinner.
  • LyndseyMcKnight7
    Options
    I feel this way constantly, between work, school, and family, it's like, who has time for exercise? I have my elliptical in my bedroom and I try to use it everyday, even if it's just for 15 minutes. I watch TV while I do it, and it helps pass the time and keeps my mind off the fact that I am exercising. Sometimes I have energy afterward, sometimes I don't, but I'm never usually more exhausted. I agree with both sides, if you are too exhausted then rest. But I usually find that a little bit of exercise helps me plenty!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I try to do something small, like a slow jog when I'm feeling really tired. Otherwise I tend to take multiple days off. Usually, I find that I more have energy than I thought I did once I start moving.

So true! If I can just get out the door and get started usually I get invigorated and can have a great run or ride. But sometimes my body is just tired and needs rest. You have to be able to read your body and challenge it or rest it as appropriate. I am doing two-a-days now but I take one full rest day a week. I sometimes have to bump up my rest day to an earlier date to be sure that I am rested for some important event or activity. As they say, listen to your body - but remember it may try to lie to you! Be discerning.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 and I homeschool, so it takes up a lot of time and energy(especially with an overly energetic two year old - whew!). I have a hard time planning when to workout but usually when I'm just plain old worn out I rest. If I know that I just don't feel like working out I make myself do it anyway and that's where my energy comes from. It's surprising how much better you'll feel after a good workout, but always listen to your body. It knows what to do better than we do!:huh:
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    I definitely know how you feel. Honestly I take 5 hours energy shots sometimes. I know that they're not great and a little nerveracking but they really do work.
  • alejan1975
    alejan1975 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    there are pre workout energy supplements that you can take which are probably mostly caffeine but have other supplements like B vitamins, Nitric Oxide and creatine - a relatively cheap one is NO Extreme which can be found in Walmart Jac3d is another popular one. These are aimed at people lifting weights but i've used them prior to cardio workouts where i wasnt' feeling it. If you take a smaller dose (they tend to have ranges of acceptable doses) then its really effective for giving you energy to hop on the treadmill for 40 minutes.

I woudln't use them everytime, but really super effective if you weren't going to workout at all. mix up 1 scoop in 8 oz of water 1/2 hour before and you'll be ready to go
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're doing something you ENJOY doing.. If jogging isn't your cup of tea, perhaps that's making you notice your tiredness more than if you were looking forward to doing your exercise. But like everyone said, if you're truly tired, don't feel guilty about resting!
  • rhakim71
    rhakim71 Posts: 2
    Options
    Most times being tired is more of a mental fight about working out than true tiredness. You'll know though. If your so tired that you just crash that is one thing but if you are just sitting home watching TV then likely it is mental and you have to find a way to push past it. Find a perk that you reward yourself with after. Something you like doing or a favorite movie. And if you don't commit then give yourself a fine like no TV or something that matters to you. It will help you determine your true motivation of being tired.

I usually get too tired to work out when its too cold or too hot... My typical workout routine is 2 to 2 1/hours in the gym 3 days a week (for cardio and weights) and 4 days of 1 to 1 1/2 hours of hiking or challenging walking trails (I am surrounded by the Big Bear Mountains in So Cal, I've got lots of beautiful trails to choose from) and I walk my little Chihuahua at least 4 to 5 days a week.

However, 2 years ago I ended up with heel spurs in both feet. This is all thanks to some speed quad skating that I took up. Oh yeah... I'm a roller skating fiend. Speed Quad Skates have no arch support and my arches started to fall and allowed for heel spurs to develop. Heel spurs never go away but your body is supposed to accept them as a natural part of itself. This usually takes about 6 months. My body refuses to accept the heel spur in my right foot. In fact it sends swelling to my ankle making me feel like I've sprained it 24/7. My doctor took me off of most of my exercise regimin. After lots of cortesone shots, only light walking, and only roller skating on occasion in my figure skates (they have arch support) I am still suffering and unthankfully gained 40 lbs..... As was i needed to drop 20 lbs.... I am very active but that does not mean that I don't enjoy food. ;)

So now I'm ignoring my doc and working out through the pain. I'm dieting but I've put my workout routine almost back into full gear. When I can say I'm in the gym 3 hours a 4 days a and skating and hiking on the other 3 days then that will be routine.... However I'm constantly tired and sometimes find myself just not wanting to go workout. Motrin makes me sick and I don't want more cortesone... So the pain makes me want to be tired and give up.... However, once I am working out I feel great. I limp the rest of the night but it always seems worth it... At least so far....

But I totally get the tired thing... It happens to me alot but I end up feeling so guilty that I finally force myself to go workout...
  • beach61273
    Options
    Exercise will give you a burst of energy!