exercise for bad knees

Options
hello everyone, im looking for excercises that are easy on the knees....any ideas?:smile:

Replies

• infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Anything in the water---aquarobics, water walking, etc.---will not put undue stress on your knees.
  • joesan563
    joesan563 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    have you considered a recumbent bike.
  • Clipickett
    Clipickett Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have weak knees too. The Elliptical works well for me.
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    As per previous - anything that is water based is fantastic in so many ways.. Your burn more due to resistance, but also less pressure on your knees as well. Aquaerobics, swimming etc etc..

When you have bad knees, the most important thing to keep in mind is that running is your adversary. While you are running, each stride you take puts the equivalent pressure of three times your body weight on each of your knees. If you have bad knees, you should do your best to avoid running, jogging, jumping, lower-body weight training activities (such as squats), and most high impact sports.

Some other exercises to look at include cycling (actual bike or stationary) - low impact etc.. My physio pushed me a lot after my knee operation to get on the bike and swim more..

Also try Elliptical machines - same concept as the above - low impact..
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I have torn meniscus in both knees (left one to be operated during the summer), and I was also instructed to stay away from high impact exercises, and leg extentions machines with weights. I had to give up my lovely tennis matches.

I take ballet and jazz dance classes so I have to be very careful with those activities too ( I use a brace while dancing). The elliptical does not work out for me, I prefer the traedmill and I am trying to get used to the bike, which is not my favority exercise equipment either.

I was doing 30 days shred but I could not take the squats, even the modified ones, so be careful with those exercises. The main thing is to develop strong quadricepts so the knee joint has more support. When the weather is hot, I workout at the pool because as reported by other members, is easier on the knees.

Ask your doctor to order some PT, because the physio will teach you the best low impact exercises for strenght. Good luck, I know how tought it is to have limitations when you want and love to exercise.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i have rubbish knees! so my fave exercise is cycling and using my cross trainer as both are low impact. Good luck :)
  • mt2008
    mt2008 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Like pps have said, recumbent bike and aquatics. My doc said those are the two he recommends for the least amount of impact.
  • KrysHil
    KrysHil Posts: 7
    Options
    If you have access to a pool any type of water exercises are great. You won't even realize how much you are workin out while you are in there. I have used one of those noodle floats and cut it in half and pushed them up and down slowly through the water. Great for arms. I have also put it under my knee while it was bent and slowly pressed up and down. When I was doing that on a regular basis I started to loose some, but then I moved away from the pool. lol. I gotta start doing that again. I hope this was helpful.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have weak knees too. The Elliptical works well for me.

wow the elliptical kills my knees. i do walking and jogging but I wear a brace when they are bothering me. that seems to help.