Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes

Options
Hey all!

I'm always looking for vegetarian recipes that are filling and low fat. Curious if any other members of the community have any favorites they'd be willing to share!

Thanks!

Jen

Replies

• debbiejgray
    Options
    I like vegetable stir-frys with lots of veggies, a small amount of soy sauce and small portion of noodles :)
    xx
  • Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sure Jen, I recently started making soups. They are so healthy absolutely low fat and super delicious.
    Well I don't have actual measuments but just rough idea(I mostly go with my instinct and eye balling ingredients:smile: ).

different vegetables 1/2 cup each (carrots, zucchini,spinach, sweet potato,brocolli) or (any other of your choice )
    5-6 tomatoes
    2-3 cups vegetable stock(sodium free)
    salt and black pepper according to your taste
    small bunch of fresh mint or cilantro( I read somewhere mint is good for weight loss)
    In a pot add 1-2 tsp oil. Add crushed garlic, sautee 1 minute add all the vegetables and stock. Also add cilantro and mint.Put salt and black pepper according to your taste. Bring to boil. Let them simmer for 15-20 minutes. Put them in blender and puree it. (I have hand blender so I ususally don't tranfer to another utensil and blend it in the same one).

Sorry if my description is not so good. This is first time I am posting any recipe. Hope you like it. But it is trully delicious and very filling.
    Sanya
  • Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    :laugh: seems like I am in mood for posting my recipes today .

Baked vegetables
    Marinate different vegetables(Carrots, Zucchini,Broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, carrots, red/green/prange/yellow peppers) with fat free Italian dressing and bake them for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. My family love this recipe especially my children.
    Just curious,If anyone tries please do let others know if you like it or not ?
    Sanya
  • ann81e
    ann81e Posts: 2
    Options
    Just finished making a batch of Vegetarian Chilli Beans - a great recipe I found in a Blackmore's brochure about 15 years ago - have to make this at least every few weeks...

1-2 tblspns olive oil
    3-4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
    3 tsps chopped chilli
    1 tblspn ground cumin
    1 tblspn ground coriander
    1 large onion diced
    1 can kidney beans 400g
    1 can other beans or lentils (I use 3 bean mix or brown lentil - try whatever you like)
    2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
    2-3 tblspns tomato paste

Heat oil in large saucepan, fry onion, garlic, chilli & spices until onion soft and spices fragrant; add drained, washed beans and other ingredients, reduce heat & simmer for 40 mins and serve!

Good with brown rice, or jacket potato for low fat serving options - garnish with fresh coriander (add a little lite sour cream for a treat).

Great in nachos or burritos - higher in fat with these options, specially if you're adding cheese. Pile on salad and reduce the serving size is my recommendation.

You should get at least 8 serves from this batch.
  • InAustin_2011
    Options
    Thank you all for the great recipes! I can't wait to try making them!

J.
  • myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    didn't know they made a sodium free vegetable stock, can you get that at most grocery stores?
  • lauralhicks
    lauralhicks Posts: 168
    Options
    Vegetarian Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
    1 tsp vegetable oil
    1 onion, diced
    1 carrot sliced
    1 cup leeks (optional)
    4 cups vegetable broth
    1 cup dry lentils
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    2 bay leaves
    dash salt
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    Preparation:
    In a large pot, sautee the onions, leeks, and carrot in the vegetable oil for 3-5 minutes until onions turn clear.
    Add the vegetable broth, lentils, pepper, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaves and salt.

Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until lentils are soft, about 45-60 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in lemon juice before serving. Makes 4 servings of lentil soup.

Serving size 1 C
    Calories: roughly 230
    Calories from Fat: 27
    Total Fat: 3.0g
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I usually eat low fat vegetarian food and my diary is open.
    My fave is mushroom risotto:

You need...
    risotto rice (as much as the packet says...)
    3 cup mushrooms
    2 teaspoon stock powder
    1 onion
    3 clove garlic
    cooking spray of vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup white wine
    2 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 teaspoon dried herbs
    1 spring onion per person

Fry the onion and garlic in vegetable oil until soft. Add rice and mushroom and continue to fry for 10 mins on low. Add wine, pepper and lemon juice. Add stock powder dissolved in water gradually until rice is soft. Stir in dried herbs and chopped spring onion for last 30 seconds and serve.

Per serving:
    358 calories
    8g fat
    64g carbs
    6g protein
    1312mg sodium

You can also add parmesan cheese right at the end which is meant to make it a lot nicer but I am allergic. Also I usually serve with a green vegetable, like broccoli or spinach.
  • lucyfit87
    Options
    Hi everyone! :)

You should try my Vegetable Kebab Skewers. I made 20 of these last Summer for a friend's BBQ and when I turned round to have one myself they'd all been eaten! High praise indeed! :)

Ingredients:

Mushrooms
    Green/Red/Yellow Peppers
    Quorn chicken style pieces
    Red onions
    Cherry tomatoes
    Halloumi cheese (Other grilling cheese fine as substitute)
    Red wine
    White wine vinegar
    Mixed herbs
    Olive oil
    Salt and Ground black pepper to season

Addtional:
    BBQ Skewers
    Cling film (Shrink wrap)
    Mixing Bowl

Recipe:

Cut all all the peppers, mushrooms and red onions into 2cm x 2cm chunky pieces. Add these along with the Quorn and cherry tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Next add 1 tbsp of salt and 1tbsp of black pepper to season and mix together thoroughly. Leave for 5 minutes to draw moisture from the vegetables. Next cut the Halloumi cheese into cubes and add to the mixture. After this pour into the bowl 3 glasses of red wine, 4 glasses of white wine vinegar and 6 tbsp of olive oil. Add 1 cup of mixed herbs and mix entire bowl together. Cover whole bowl with cling film (shrink wrap) and place in the fridge overnight.

The next day the vegetables will be perfectly marinated. Season to taste then place the vegetables one by one on a BBQ Skewer taking care not to damage them. and leaving enough of the skewer exposed to hold. Once each of the vegetables is place on the skewer along with the Quorn pieces and Halloumi cheese, place the skewers on the BBQ for around 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. This can also be done in an oven at 200dc on the grill setting.

There really is no hard and fast rule to the mount of vegetables used or the dressing mixture, just adjust to your own tastes.

The smell is fantastic and you will not be disappointed! Yummy! :)
  • Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low Fat Vegetarian Archive (http://www.fatfree.com/cgi-bin/recipes.cgi). There's no nutrition info but you can put it into the recipe tool here. My other favorite is Fat Free Vegan Kitchen (http://fatfreevegan.com/). She has a blog I subscribe to so I get informed of all new recipes. I'm not vegan but am vegetarian trying to cut out as much dairy as possible.
  • smartcar4
    Options
    Hey Jen,

While not a vegetarian I love cooking without meat. I absolutely love this recipe and you can do it with any veggies laying around (and I don't bother to peel the tomatoes). http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/scb-sides-00400000028195/page27.html

My fav quick weeknight meal is eggs poached in tomato sauce and spinach. Put enough tomato sauce plus a pinch of red pepper flakes in a skillet to cover bottom (I usually make a quick own of my own, canned tomatoes, onion, spices, etc), throw in some spinach (like three or four handfuls) and let it cook until the spinach is wilted. Turn heat down to simmer. Make 4 little indents in the tomato sauce/spinach, crack one egg in each of the indents, put on lid cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover and let sit about 4 or so minutes. Eat with bread. You can also do it without the spinach, its "eggs in purgatory".

Your friend,
    Seegs