I can run now!

Options
dandydalek
dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
On New Year’s Eve morning approximately three and a half months ago, I was cruising around the app store on my phone, looking for a new form of entertainment, when I came across a little $5.00 app called “Couch to 5K.” Now, I very rarely spend more than a dollar on any app, but just out of curiosity, I clicked on it. It looked pretty cool, but I was highly aware that I could never do anything as crazy as run a 5K. So I wandered on. I think I ended up buying a marbles game instead. But somewhere in the back of my mind, the idea stuck. “I’m a couch potato,” I thought. “I’ve already fulfilled one of the requirements.”

So New Year’s rolled on, and I got together with some friends. Naturally, drinking ensued. We began discussing New Year’s resolutions. In a fit of drunken bravado, I mentioned the C25K app and declared that I planned on buying it and learning to run a 5K. A friend of mine said something along the lines of, “Hey, what a coincidence. There’s a 5K run in March.” “Oh, really,” I replied. “You know what? I’m going to be ready to run a 5K by March.” Now, I have never in my life bothered with a New Year’s resolution for longer than maybe a day and a half before losing interest, and I naturally assumed that this would be along the same lines. I cared enough to actually go ahead and spend the five dollars on the app, and kind of assumed it would end there.

The idea stuck, though, and I started working on the program about two weeks into January. I was so pitiful to begin with that I would run around in my yard, rather than going to the park so no one would see me puffing. It was embarrassing. A full minute of running was tough. Three minutes almost killed me. By eight minutes at a time, I had improved enough that I felt comfortable running at the park instead of in circles in my front yard, but I was still huffing and puffing at each run. And looming in the near future was what seemed to be an impossible task. A twenty minute run.
This twenty minute run was a source of real stress to me. I honestly didn’t think I would be able to manage it. It was insane. Who were these crazy people who thought I could suddenly run for twenty minutes without stopping? Insanity. The big day came. And I ran for twenty minutes—without stopping. I think it was at this point that I was hooked. It was no longer a silly New Year’s resolution. It was a challenge—and it was a challenge I was perfectly capable of conquering.
Fast forward several weeks. I decided at work one Wednesday that instead of stopping when the nice (but bossy) lady told me to “cool down” I would keep going until I had actually completed the distance of a 5K. It was tough, but I did it. It took me 47 minutes and I walked for about five of those minutes. At this point, I still had about three and a half weeks of the program left to get through, so I decided to turn every Wednesday’s run into a 5K, while still following the program the rest of the time. I also decided that I would not be walking any more while running the full length 5Ks. If I wasn’t unconscious, I was going to be moving my feet at a decent speed.

The next Wednesday, I managed to run the full 5K distance for the first time. It took 39 minutes. It was a wonderful feeling! Technically, I had achieved my goal. But now I needed to make it official. It took a little searching to find a run near enough to me that I wouldn’t have to get up at 4:00 or 4:30 in the morning to get to it (I live out in the boondocks), but I found one. And I’ll admit, I was really excited about it. Scared—but excited. I had never so much as seen a 5K take place—I had no idea what to expect. Fortunately, I had this site and lots of supportive people to cheer me on and walk me through how exactly everything would work. It was SO helpful to know that if I had any questions at all I could type them in and have dozens of people answering and offering support at any time.

Last Saturday, the big day finally arrived. My wonderful family left their warm beds at 6:30 in the morning to come with me and cheer me on. The run went wonderfully (I’ll tell that story another time) and I finished in 36 minutes—only one minute over my goal time. And considering the Gigantic Hill of Death at the very end of the run, I have to say I was super excited about how I did. It was a really wonderful experience, and I’ll never forget crossing the finish line, knowing that I had kept running for the whole three miles and that I had actually achieved the crazy, impossible goal I had set for myself only three and a half months earlier.

I well and truly have the bug now, and I know there’s no way I could just put a check mark next to “running” on my list of Things To Do In My Life and walk away. I planned to take a week off from running as a reward for finishing the 5K, and expected to enjoy the break—running is hard work! But I found myself itching to get started again. Before I knew what I had done, I had downloaded a Bridge to 10K program on my phone and started training. Hopefully, six weeks from now I’ll be posting my run time for my first ever 10K! That would just be amazing.

So, the moral of the (very long) story is that it is possible! Just get started. Try running for a few days, a week, a month, and see what happens. You might start out running circles in your yard, huffing and puffing, but the next thing you know, you’ll have to find a new goal, because you’ll have left your first one in the dust.

I’m a runner! Woo!

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! So proud of you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: Great job, running is hard work and you did it! I am running at a 13:20 (4.5 on the treadmill) right now going 4 miles. I am working more on distance but your story provides encouragement that I can do anything I set my mind to!! :happy:

P.s. I am a "huffing and puffing" during my runs and I am sure the people around me think I am crazy!? :bigsmile:
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! I ran in high school and college (a loong time ago) and now that my kids are all old enough to be in school for a full day, I decided to join the gym and started running one day a week, along with weights, lower body arc and lots of walking at home, mostly with the dog and the kids. I just turned 40 a month ago and decided I would run a 5K this year. Still doing the running/walking thing but making progress. I ran for 19 minutes straight yesterday : )
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I.Love.This.

Huuuuge gynormous congratulations on not only your run, but on drunken bravado that didn't end in a bad marraige!!

:) I love the thought of you running around in circles in your yard.
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow ! Awesome story !!! I just started the couch25k 2 nights ago (and all the while thinking that there is no way I can run 5 miles because I am so out of shape!) That was very motivating and makes me feel like I WILL be able acomplish it. Thanks so much for this post and congrats on reaching your goal !!!
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You have done amazing !! The c25k programme is brilliant I am currently on week 7, and like you when I managed the 20 minute run after dreading it for weeks I was so happy :-) it's amazing that it can transform someone who couldn't run for a single minute. Good luck with getting up to a 10k I hope to join you soon.

Katy
  • Jolandolfo
    Options
    That is an amazing story. Congrats to you...:smile:
  • Jolandolfo
    Options
    That is an amazing story. Congrats to you...:smile:
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nice! I am in week 4 of C25K and I still feel like "wow how will I ever run 20 min"... this story is certainly reassuring! Tonight I'll be happy to huff and puff through the 5 minute intervals!
  • amyilene03
    amyilene03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is awesome and sooo inspiring for me! I've been working on the C25K program also. I just finished Week 3 Day 3 and I feel like I should do at least one more day of it. I don't know if I'm ready for Week 4. The simple man talking saying "RUN" is motivation but I always get mad because I'm not ready. LOL! I have a 4.2 mile run coming up on May 21st so this is initially why I started the program. I just don't see how I'm going to be able to finish, but you just gave me hope! Big THANKS!

And CONGRATS!! Running is addicting! :-)
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Kudos to you! Your story is a fun read. Coincidentally, I too did my first 5k this very morning.... on a treadmill though, in about 32 mins. Didn't think I could, but I did (though there is no "hill of death" on a treadmill).

Perhaps someday soon, I'll join you in being someone who's done it "in real life".

Anyone else care to join?
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    OMG! This is the best story I've heard all day! Congrats!!! Way to be a rock star!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Congrats! But let me ask you this...how sore were you after the first day? It's totally discouraging me from running again when I can barely walk to the post office lol
  • stefa777
    stefa777 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have to say that your story is very inspiring. I myself have been interval walking and lately I have picked it up to a moderate interval walk, basically, I walk at a moderate pace for a minute then jog for two minute and continue this for 45 minutes. The funny thing is that when I stated the program it was supposed to be just walking...walk moderately for 1 minute, speed walk for 30 second etc. The fact that I am jogging is simply amazing to me. I too eyeballed the c25k app on my phone as well and wondered if I could do it! I had planned on completeing this program first but I think I might move on to the c25k. I am totally inspired after reading what you wrote!! Thanks for posting!!:flowerforyou:
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @lilRicki after my very first day of C25K it hurt to move! Thankfully that stopped after one more run-- the key for me is stretching RIGHT after. I didn't do that the first time so all of my muscles were extremely tight.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with us, you have done so well and you made me realise that I will be able to run/jog my 5k in June if I stick with c25k (start w2 on Sun) :drinker:
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    @lilRicki after my very first day of C25K it hurt to move! Thankfully that stopped after one more run-- the key for me is stretching RIGHT after. I didn't do that the first time so all of my muscles were extremely tight.

I was the same, I do not think I stretched enough either
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thanks for the encouraging read.
  • Mandi1968
    Mandi1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, thank you so much for sharing...I am a swimmer and just recently started the couch to 5K...last week to be specific...my first time out I ran too fast and I was pathetically sore the rest of the weekend....but I went Monday night again..and I slowed my pace and did much better....I swim Master's every morning and was so disappointed that I coulnd't do better but I am going for the my third time tonight...and I am encouraged by how many people have succeeded with this program! CONGRATS and thanks fro sharing and making us all believe we cah do it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!