30 Day Shred Questions

Options
So I started 30 Day Shred last night and have a few questions:

What pound weights is everyone using? The only thing I had at home was 3 pound weights and wanted to make sure they were enough. As I progress should I bump up the weights to 5 pounds each?
Are people using this as a supplemental workout or just doing the program on its own?
Are you supposed to do the workout every day?

Right now I am in the gym 5 days a week, mostly doing the elliptical and some weight training (just started working out with a trainer, second session is tonight). I don't want to over do it with this work out as well but wanted something to do at home when I can't make it into the gym. I have read a lot of positive reviews about the program and really did enjoy doing it, but want to make sure I get the most out of it.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm using 2-3 lb weights. But I'm wimpy.
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I use 3 lb weights.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of different answers to your shred questions on here, and my advice to you is only based on what worked for me. I used 5 pound weights (because that's what I had) and I did the shred dvd 5 times a week. I couldn't make myself do it every day because at first (for the first week or so) I was just too darn sore. After a while I wasn't sore anymore, but I was alternating the shred dvd with my elliptical. At the most I only shredded 5 times a week, sometimes less.
  • patriciadunn
    patriciadunn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been using 5 pound weights because that is what I had and if they start to get heavy I do the moves without them. I have been doing this every day so far along with my regular exercises which are usually walking/running, stair stepper, and other DVD's.
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    I use 3 pounds
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I started with the 3's after 2 weeks I switched to the 5lbs it really depends on whatever your comfortable with.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I don't know what I should be using, but I had a couple of five pound Danskin ankle weights on hand so I just hold those in my hands. :-/
  • Schwaig
    Schwaig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use three pound weights, but I may increase to five pound weights down the road! I do the workout no less than 5 days a week, but its the only workout I do (I dont go to the gym). So far I love it, Im on week #3 and on cycle 2, its kicking my butt, in a really good way!
  • susanjackson66
    susanjackson66 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I use 3 lb weights. I have been doing the shred everyday since starting April 1st. Sometimes I do the elliptical or stationary bike in the evenings, but I shred everyday.
  • ak248902
    ak248902 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    How do you know when you should move to Level 2 and then Level 3? What have you used as your benchmark to move on?
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just posted my results from the 30DS yesterday on the success stories board if you want to check them out. My pictures are on page 2 though.

I used 3 lb weights the whole time. I did each level 10 days and then went to the next level. I did have a few rest days here and there though, but did each level 10 days total. I did the program as my only means of working out during that time period.
  • susanjackson66
    susanjackson66 Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    How do you know when you should move to Level 2 and then Level 3? What have you used as your benchmark to move on?

Once I felt comfortable with the level and it wasn't as hard, I moved on. I spent 7 days on level 1 and 7 days on level 2. I finished my 6th day on level 3 today, and will finish out with level 3.
  • patriciadunn
    patriciadunn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am going to try and do 10 days on each level. That way it is 30 days and the level should start to get much easier after 10 days.
  • JoEllen92
    JoEllen92 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    On my first try (I got to around day 9)
    i was using 3kg weights i think that's just over 6lbs which on some moves is way too much. I'm attempting it today using 1.5kg/3lbs weights on some moves and the 3kg/6lb weights on others.