Do you know what it is?

Options
This has been an ongoing problem with me. Everytime i walk on my tredmill, or even outside I get shin split pain, but on the outside of my ankle going up the side of my calf. I appologise now if anyone has already posted this.

Is it shin splints? I have gotten shin splint before on the front of my shin. But no matter how much I try and google this I can't seem to find out why I'm getting the same type of pain on the side of my leg and ankle. It usally happens closer to the end of my walk/jog. And the pain goes along side of the bone on the side of your leg from your ankle to about halfway up my calf.

Am I pushing myself to hard? Is it my shoes? I've tried many types of shoes and it's still the same pain i get. The pain will continue to last for a few days if I stop walking on the treadmill, but on the days I walk day after day the pain doesn't go away.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

Replies

• Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    major bump!

I used to get his all the time... ALL the time and now that I think about it I haven't in the last year or so. I have no idea what has changed or why it stopped but I am curious to see what people have to say.
  • skttls1299
    skttls1299 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a shin splint. I used to get those because my shoes weren't right for my feet. I went to a running store and expressed my concerns and they fitted me with a shoe that fits my feet better and specializes in jogging. There are so many different types of shoes on the market. Ones that are designed for jogging, running, walking etc. It is important to find the right shoe for the kind of activity you do. Hope this helps!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I do have a few suggestions.
    1. go to a running store that will fit you for proper shoes. They have a machine that you stand on and walk on and it will measure you for the proper shoes.
    2. When you are walking make sure you are going heal to toe. I use to get shin splints when I ran flat footed or toe to heal.
  • acerico73
    Options
    I try to use this website when I have leg injuries or pain after running and saw this not sure if this is accurate not but take al ook:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/anteriorcompart.htm
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The fitness teacher at college had us do a tapping warm-up before our power walking class and she said it helps to prevent shin splints. While standing, rock back on your heels and tap your foot on the ground a few times.
  • motherofjade
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

I think I will definatly go and get fitted for new shoes. I must admit I don't buy the most expensive shoes :ohwell:

I will try the tapping warm up as well.

I will also continue to watch the thread for more suggestions.

Thank you everyone :) I kinda of figured it was a shin splint just by the way the pain feels, but assumed shin splints only happened on the front of your leg. Now I know.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I do have a few suggestions.
    1. go to a running store that will fit you for proper shoes. They have a machine that you stand on and walk on and it will measure you for the proper shoes.
    2. When you are walking make sure you are going heal to toe. I use to get shin splints when I ran flat footed or toe to heal.

You nailed it.

First thought i had was that you are not running with hitting the ground with your heel first. Make a conscious effort to do so. When i first started running i would get this pain until my hubby told me what i was doing wrong. It helped a ton!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I try to use this website when I have leg injuries or pain after running and saw this not sure if this is accurate not but take al ook:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/anteriorcompart.htm

HUH.. I looked up your link and I don't know about the OP but that certainly does sound like something that could have happened with me. Interesting to say the least! Thanks for the post!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are important. I would look for some with supported heel padding, and get the advice of an employee! Best if they see how you walk/run and fit you for a specific shoe based on that.

Try strengthening your calves with some moves. Just do a google search and you'll find plenty! Or youtube some videos to build those calves, cause when you strengthen them, it affects your shins, and makes them stronger.

Also, try walking or running on trails or the ground, like in a park, or a field, to have less impact. :drinker:
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm no doc or physical therapist, but based on your description of the pain, it does NOT sound like shin splints. You say the pain starts in your ankle and radiates up into the side of your calf. Even anterior compartment syndrome is on the front of your leg, but on the outter edge of the shin, not the calf. You may want to make sure you have proper shoes and warm up properly before you really get into the heart of your workout. Once you've got the blood flowing and you have warmed sufficiently, you may want to do some good leg stretches including rotating your ankles clockwise and counterclock a few times. Also, be sure to warm-down properly. If you still have trouble, it would pay to get it checked out by a professional. Good luck and happy stepping!!!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Probably shin splints. I always have trouble with them. Get better shoes. And give yourself some time off.
  • motherofjade
    Options
    I will start watching what way my feet land. That may be my problem :)
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to go against what just about everyone else has said.

Sounds to me like inflammation of the peroneal tendon. It could be cause by wearing the wrong shoes for your gait. That said, get shoes that fit your gait, and don't try to run/walk differently than you do. Stick with what is natural for you. Odds are that your body developed those patterns of movement because it's what hurt the least. Go with it, but get the shoes that match. That's key. Ibuprofen and ice when you're not running will help as well. And be sure to stretch your calves after your runs.

Good luck!