Skinny *****

Options
Has anyone read this book? I'm thinking about buying it just because it looks interesting, but is it worth the money? Just curious!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It's a slightly offensive but generally accurate case for veganism. It's ok but nothing special.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Agree with comment above. If you want to know about being Vegan it's great. I own it and didn't get much from it. I am already vegetarian so not a ton of new info in it.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I read it... It's not what you'd expect and the book is very blunt. It is very Interesting to say the least, but it is about promoting a Vegan lifestyle. So if you want to give up all animal products including dairy then definitely read the book. If eating Vegan is not something in your life that you would ever do, then it'd waste your money.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I loved it. If you are easily offended then its not for you.
    I laughed out loud a few times and found it a interesting read about the food industry.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Agree with comment above. If you want to know about being Vegan it's great. I own it and didn't get much from it. I am already vegetarian so not a ton of new info in it.
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's okay. If you want an awesome pro-plant book, try Crazy, Sexy Diet. Tons of info, but reader friendly!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It has a huge political slant to it, but some interesting and good info as well. It's also funny as hell! I enjoyed it. The beginning of the book is the best, the further along it went, the more exaggerations there seemed to be and I mean that in an unbiased way because I tend to agree with a lot of their views on the food industry.

I highly recommend reading, but taking with a grain of proverbial salt.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I really didn't like it. I wasn't so much offended by the language or anything like that, I just didn't like the fact that they basically put down a "no exception" view of eating... wasn't my style.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Didn't like it! Very extreme approach with much gratuitous profanity. I'm not a prude, and I tend to gravitate towards edgy stuff, but I thought this book was worthless. I suppose if you are contemplating veganism it may be worth a look.
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    I just picked it up from the library. I've heard various things about it and thought I'd look at it before investing my money. Haven't gotten around to reading it just yet though.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love it.
    I love the recipes and its very informative :)
    I enjoy the way she writes, very blunt, funny and to the point! highly recommend it.
  • EmmaB1093
    EmmaB1093 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hmmm, yeah I couldn't see myself becoming Vegan anytime soon. I'm too big of a fan of meat. Haha
    But I do like to feel educated on both sides of the topic, maybe I'll take your approach ddwin and just go to the library!
  • emmigirl429
    emmigirl429 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of it and I kind of like it. I mean, I'm learning a lot from it but I don't see myself becoming a vegan. Oh, and you should get it from the library (that's what I did!).
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    i can't go vegan. i had no idea that was what it was about. i thought it was just a cook book and advice from skinny girls to fat girls. who knew!?
  • 3aBadkids
    3aBadkids Posts: 78
    Options
    I read it...the first half of the book had me laughing. I suggest going to the library for a copy.
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i have it followed it for 3 months but than gave into eating chicken ect ect so ya ...good book if ur a vegan but u pretty much know what happens in slaughter houses thats what it reminds u of and why we shouldnt eat animal or animal products....

was tricked into buying it on ebay thought it was a "SKINNY *****" diet no its more of a "angry vegan informer" diet lol no offense i did however like what and how they put things out there ...but at the end i had steak nachos
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. It's a funny book...but they do get a little preachy about veganism. I was a vegan for quite a few years and this book makes a good case for it, but it isn't for everyone.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It's interesting, informative and hilarious.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's more of a use of sensationalism as to why a person should become vegan. They do kind of go over the health benefits of not eating animal products, but there are a lot of in your face stories of what the animals go through when being killed and processsed for food.