"extra" calories

Options
I thought this was interesting and wanted to share!

Mistake #2: Overreporting the "extra" calorie expenditure of exercise

Most people count the calories they spend exercising as "extra" calories. There is a difference between calories burned while exercising and "extra" calories burned exercising. Here is an example: you burn 300 calories on the treadmill instead of your usual activity (watching TV at home); in reality, you have to subtract the calories you would have spent watching TV from these 300 calories to calculate how many additional calories you burned. Let's say that watching TV, you would have burned 80 calories. In this specific case, you have expended 300 calories while exercising, and 220 "extra" calories.

Replies

• KayLeigh6710
    Options
    This is interesting... But I'm curious, where did you get your information?
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yup, I ALWAYS subtract my RMR (resting metabolic rate) from my HRM... but that's because I'm a nerd! :tongue:
  • cL0ver
    cL0ver Posts: 19
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for posting! :)
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Most people count the calories they spend exercising as "extra" calories. There is a difference between calories burned while exercising and "extra" calories burned exercising. Here is an example: you burn 300 calories on the treadmill instead of your usual activity (watching TV at home); in reality, you have to subtract the calories you would have spent watching TV from these 300 calories to calculate how many additional calories you burned. Let's say that watching TV, you would have burned 80 calories. In this specific case, you have expended 300 calories while exercising, and 220 "extra" calories.

What? Where on earth did you get this information?? How would one know what they would "usually" be doing instead of exercising? You are only calculating your GENERAL activity level when calculating your maintenance calories.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    this is a very interesting point that i wish more people were aware of and paying attention to. for me, personally, it doesn't really matter to me at this point because on the days i'm under my calorie target, i'm WAAYYY under. but i often wish more users here would be more aware of how this system is supposed to work.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    this is a very interesting point that i wish more people were aware of and paying attention to. for me, personally, it doesn't really matter to me at this point because on the days i'm under my calorie target, i'm WAAYYY under. but i often wish more users here would be more aware of how this system is supposed to work.

I totally get how it works, but you know what? How it works doesn't work for me personally. I can't eat 2000 calories a day, burn off 500 (or more) of them and not eat back any of those I burned. It is one of the things I've learned in the last year. If I try and do it -- I don't lose weight. Soon as I go back to eating -- I lose weight again.
    So, let's just say everyone is different and what works for one may not work for someone else. I don't think it's necessarily that people don't GET it. I think a lot of people DO get it and they do what works for THEM.
  • KayLeigh6710
    Options
    HAHA agreed!... although... I don't really get it.. but you're funny

I totally get how it works, but you know what? How it works doesn't work for me personally. I can't eat 2000 calories a day, burn off 500 (or more) of them and not eat back any of those I burned. It is one of the things I've learned in the last year. If I try and do it -- I don't lose weight. Soon as I go back to eating -- I lose weight again.
    So, let's just say everyone is different and what works for one may not work for someone else. I don't think it's necessarily that people don't GET it. I think a lot of people DO get it and they do what works for THEM.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    never thought about that but it definitely makes sense!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yes, a very important point. I think you burn in the region of 90 cals an hour (obv size dependent) just existing.
  • LovelySnugs
    Options

i wasn't trying to generalize and say that this is something that works for everybody. i'm just making the point that there are some (or maybe a lot, i don't know for sure) people who aren't aware of the original poster's point and how it could affect them and their weight loss. like i said, it doesn't really apply to me, either. but i figured out what worked for me by way of trial and error.

what i was trying to say was, there are those who haven't realized they could try this, also.

you know what works for you, so obviously i wasn't talking to or about you or other people who know what works for them.

you're right, let's say that what works for some people doesn't work for everybody - and maybe quit snapping at other members who are here for the same totally valid reason (improving our health and fitness) for things that aren't even meant to target us. agreed?

ETA: oh, and i never said i don't eat back my exercise calories or that i'm under every single day. so get that nonsense outta your head now, before i actually have to chastise you.
  • LovelySnugs
    Options

What? Where on earth did you get this information?? How would one know what they would "usually" be doing instead of exercising? You are only calculating your GENERAL activity level when calculating your maintenance calories.

i think that's an inaccurate statement. the people who subtract their BMR calories from their exercise calories usually just calculate their hourly average and subtract that.

is that what you're asking?
  • kolbyjack
    kolbyjack Posts: 71
    Options
    Yup, I ALWAYS subtract my RMR (resting metabolic rate) from my HRM... but that's because I'm a nerd! :tongue:

Haha! I was going to say the exact same thing!
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    There's no way in hell I'm doing this.. No offense.. Lol. I strive to keep some of my exercise calories, but usually I don't... Meh. I'm still losing weight.