Smart Phones

Options
jrusso28
jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
OK, totally unrelated to weight loss...... :)

I have grown to love this community of like minded folks and value your opinions.
I love my Blackberry, I have no problems with it but have to admit I am a bit of a gadget hound.
Thinking of upgrading to another Blackberry or another smartphone altogether.

For those of you that are into gadgets and smartphones, What would you recommend?

Replies

• Uncle_Dim
    Uncle_Dim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    iPhone
  • youknome
    youknome Posts: 63
    Options
    I would second the above post, iPhone 4.
  • jennfur
    jennfur Posts: 11
    Options
    iPhone is just a popular phone, but it's not the best you can get for the high price.. go with something because it has what you want! Compare what you get to the price of the phone.

What service do you use? Android phones come highly recommended in my family. My husband has a Motorola Droid, I have a HTC Thunderbolt, my mom has a Droid X.. all amazing phones!
  • denni514
    denni514 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    MFP app runs better on Androids or iPhone. For Android the Samsung Captivate or Motorola ATRIX. If you want stick with Blackberry the Torch rocks. I have ATT so these are all on th ATT network.
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    I am doing this from my Droid, and it is the best. Highly recommended over iPhone
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My EVO is amazing. I love Android and the size of the screen on the EVO is great. I look at iphones now and wonder how people can use those little things. :) And for the record, I always wanted an iphone before I got the EVO. We just have too good of a contract with Sprint so I had to get the EVO. I'm glad I did now.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Droid X!
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have the 3G iphone and have loved it...thinking of upgrading to the 4G but haven't checked out the other brands. Got the 3 G when it was 99.00 ...they are 49.00 now.
  • j4crew
    j4crew Posts: 8
    Options
    No matter who you ask they are going to say the phone that they have and like best. I would research and see what phone would meet your needs and do what you want it to within your price range. There are A LOT of good smartphones out there now. I think it's a matter of preference.

I have the iphone 4 and LOVE it but not everyone does. Everyone has their reasons for liking the phone that they have.

Good Luck deciding what phone to get.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It really depends what you want to do with it. If you're just looking for a mail / internet touch screen smartphone, to be quite honest, any one of Android, iPhone or BB will do the trick.

It also depends on your level of expertise as well. As a bit of a geek, I love the customizability of Android, but for others the standards that are part and parcel of the iPhone are important.

Whether you've got 4G coverage in your area could be a big factor as well if you're looking to make use of that. Only certain phones support it, and you might want to take that into account as well.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    No matter who you ask they are going to say the phone that they have and like best. I would research and see what phone would meet your needs and do what you want it to within your price range. There are A LOT of good smartphones out there now. I think it's a matter of preference.

I have the iphone 4 and LOVE it but not everyone does. Everyone has their reasons for liking the phone that they have.

Good Luck deciding what phone to get.

Agreed.

That said, I love my Droid X because (1) all of my apps were free (I cringe at the thought of paying for an app), (2) better microphones/noise cancellation, (3) bigger screen which rocks when watching television or movies (and college football!!!!), (4) better speaker phone (I use that a lot), (5) increased ability to customize/personalize the phone in so many ways, the bigger keyboard especially in landscape view, and most of all, (6) the feature SWYPE where you just swipe your finger across the letters you're typing and it KNOWS what word you mean to type. So much cooler than the predictive type.

There are a couple of standard apps (like the music player, etc.) that aren't as cool as the iphone but that's easily fixed because there's a free android app to replicate any look/feature of the iphone. Yep -- for zero dollars -- you can download a few apps and your Android will mirror the iphone's look exactly. I only used that for the music player, the text messaging interface, and the dimming apps because those are the only three things that I liked better on the iphone.

I regularly use my Droid X as a Garmin because the maps are always updated, the screen is exactly the same size as my "real" Garmin, and Verizon provided a window mount for the phone so it looks and functions EXACTLY like a brand new Garmin including all the features of the NEWEST Garmins (too many to list here). The wonderful, clear and loud speaker phone is very helpful in this mode!

The apps are endless too, so you'll have fun with those without spending a penny. I can't even begin to explain those -- I have 122 apps on my phone and it still flies! And with the MFP app, the Droid X has a scanner component, so when I enter my food into MFP, all I have to do is scan the package UPC code and, voila, it's in there instantly!

For what it's worth, two folks in my life with iphones who've taken a close look at my phone, both said that when their contract renews, they're switching to the Droid X (although I hear that Android is coming out with an improved version of the Droid X soon, so if you're thinking of that, wait for an even cooler version!). Here's a You Tube video comparing the phones side by side (but they omit the SWYPE explanation, which is crazy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goIphYCVVHc

Take a look at the SWYPE demo (he's not a fast "swyper" but you'll get the idea): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2z9WEm22uE Once you get used to it, you can really fly. I send a lot of texts and answer email on my phone, and in my world (attorney/legal), there are lots of long words so I LOVE this feature.

The downside is that all of this power means that the battery life is shorter than the iphone but then again, my fellow iphone users aren't using theirs as intensely as I use my phone, so it's hard to compare apples v apples. I just have a charger in my car for when I'm using it as a GPS and I'm good with just the overnight charge. If you aren't using it intensely as I do, it lasts a few days (if you're using it just for calls, etc.).

Have fun with your shopping. Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll LOVE it! :):drinker:
  • jrusso28
    Options
    This is great feedback.

I am leaning towards the Droid but an a little concerned about meeting invites.
    I have a lot of folks telling me that you cant accept calendar invites from Outlook users with the Droid.

Is that true, is there a fix?

I will be using this for work too, and if I get calendar invites I need to be able to accept them into my phone.
  • TrainerRobin
    Options
    This is great feedback.

I have a lot of folks telling me that you cant accept calendar invites from Outlook users with the Droid.

I will be using this for work too, and if I get calendar invites I need to be able to accept them into my phone.

It took me a little while to figure it out but I got it so that it syncs automatically. I just set my outlook to sync automatically with my google calendar (what the Droid uses) so the instant that I enter something into Outlook, it shows up in my phone's calendar (Google) and vice versa. That was a critical issue for me too. :)
  • jrusso28
    Options
    This is great feedback.

It took me a little while to figure it out but I got it so that it syncs automatically. I just set my outlook to sync automatically with my google calendar (what the Droid uses) so the instant that I enter something into Outlook, it shows up in my phone's calendar (Google) and vice versa. That was a critical issue for me too. :)

So you only accept your calendar invites thru Outlook, not on your Droid. Right?
    But once you do, it will get synced to your phone.

Is that right?
  • TrainerRobin
    Options
    This is great feedback.

So you only accept your calendar invites thru Outlook, not on your Droid. Right?
    But once you do, it will get synced to your phone.

Is that right?

You've got it. Sorry about the lack of clarity. I thought that after I clicked post reply that I didn't make that clear. But you figured it out. I will tell you that I spent an entire day one Saturday trying to figure it all out though. And I found so many spots (even on Google calendar's own site and on Microsoft's outlook help page) that said it wasn't possible but I kept googling for solutions and ultimately found one. Now if you need me to remember I'm not sure I'll be able to do that, but it works really great. LOL But when I right click on the little icon in the bottom right tray, the help link takes me here: http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=98563

Maybe that'll help you since that's the little icon that spins around when my calendars are syncing. LOL Pretty technically savvy aren't I? LOL
  • jrusso28
    Options
    Appreciate it!

I'm pretty much convinced at this point to go with an android device.
    I am a sprint customer so that will likely mean the EVO or the EVO Shift.

Decisions, Decisions...
    :happy:
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Droid hands down. I have the Incredible for personal, and the X for work. They beat my GF's Iphone 4 hands down.
  • emmigirl429
    emmigirl429 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i LOVE my droid X. I have to charge it daily but it's a beauty (and the screen is HUGE). Plus, android is more customizable than an iPhone.