The right exercise for problem areas.

Options
nykdem
nykdem Posts: 119 Member
I'm a 43 year old male who is of a small build. All my excess weight is around my stomach and chest (yes, I have "moobs" and am extremely embarassed by them!!!) My ability to exercise is limited due to caring 24/7 for my disabled wife. Does anyone have any tips on suitable exercises that can be done in the home, to tackle my problem areas?

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight the problem areas will dissappear. You can't target fat loss to certain areas but you can certainly build muscle to be revealed when the fat is gone!

Google body weight excercises there are lots you can do with no equipment. Squats, lunges, planks.
    Also step ups are good for cardio.

Good luck!
  • creickson
    creickson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great book for body wieght exercise: You are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren, $10.00 on Amazon.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce. Fat falls off where it wants to first. Focus on cardio for fat loss and strength training to build muscles in those areas you want more toned.
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You can try p90x or insanity for high cal burn and cardio that can be done at home. In order to lose belly fat, your diet plays a huge role so make sure you're eating healthy and clean. Good luck.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I have the typical man problem area of that fat ring around my belly/love handle area, and it has taken me a long time to get to realize that they are right, spot reduction is not happening, it is fat loss plain and simple, you need to shed the fat to get rid of it. I am down almost 30 pounds with about 13 more to go to get a 6 pack and that little fat ring is still there around my belly. Diet is 80% of that and that is no joke, 20% is the workouts.
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    As has already been said, you can't spot reduce. But muscle exercises are a good thing. Also, once you've lost weight, your body will reshape itself.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Just keep at the fat loss and the problem areas will eventually surrender. There's no specific exercise that will target the problem areas.
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll stick with my MFP calorie plan AND do some bodyweight exercises and hope that, in time, my problem areas will reduce along with my weight and measurements!