Help!

Options
I am looking for a bit of motivation more than anything else.. I have been feeling really down for the past couple of weeks, and as a result I don't want to do anything. I haven't been comfort eating, but I have been lazy. I am stuck in a really hard place - I want to go to the gym, but I also just want to do nothing too. I'm cross with myself for not doing it, but the mopey side of me always wins.
Anyone else feel / felt like this? How do I get past it? I am hoping it's more to do with having a week off work coming up, and having some really bad luck this year.
Any help would be really appreciated x !

Replies

• Maggiethu
    Maggiethu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is getting out your front door. Get your gym clothes on (even if you desperately do not want to) and GET IN THERE! Once you're at the gym, you'll have no excuse NOT to work out. I understand the position you're in... I've been there. But you can do this! Get off the couch, and go do something for yourself! You're worth it!
  • wendywilliford
    Options
    Been there!!! The best thing you can do when you're feeling down is exercise. It releases endorphins that make you feel better.

:flowerforyou:
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Take a walk, journal how you are feeling. And lastly, maybe talk to your doctor? You almost sound depressed.

There is so much to be thankful and joyful for. Maybe make a list of those things and focus on that for a while, counting my blessings always makes me feel better...

for example - I'm thankful I have all of my fingers so I can type this
    I'm thankful for the ability to exercise and make healthy choices
    I'm thankful for a place to live and food to eat and a paycheck to help support my family.
    I'm thankful for my family, friends, and pets.

There are lots of things to be happy about... you just have to look for them! :flowerforyou:
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    pick a tv show and jump rope for the duration (not slow, but medium). That can equal that of a jog. I do that on days I feel like staying in. I feel it the next morning! (i usually watch The Tudors or one of my dvr shows) the longer the show the longer the workout. Jump rope hard during commercials and steady during the show. It is a great alternative. Dont force yourself to go all out every day. Do one hard day/Medium day alternatives. It keeps motivation and allows you to keep true to your goals. Leeway is the best way.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to get up and go, even though you don't want to. Chances are you'll be cranky and mopey the whole way there, but once you get into your workout, you'll feel better. If you wait until you feel motivated to go, who knows how long you'll be sitting there. Push through it, and you'll find the drive you're looking for. You're making good progress, don't throw it all away now. You can do it!
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    We have definitely all been there. I have been going through a rough time but in all honesty the gym is one of the thing that helps me the most. I start to feel better about myself and even jsut the natural endorphins that are released when excersizing. Especially when I get into a good run. I also love taking classes in my gym (strength training, core, yoga, pilates) as I find it helps to keep my mind fully on my workout and nothing in the outside world, plus they push you more. Its really just getting yourself there! Thats half the battle :) Good luck!
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I understand the feeling, i just been trying to really change it and not let it consume me. I feel that if i didnt change and i stayed in that mind set than i will never feel good and i will forever be miserable. We have the power to change and to tell ourselves that we dont deserve that sadness inside. Yes life will always throw stuff at us and we will fall at times but we can change that, we control our emotions. You are worth it to be happy you are worth taking care of you you are number one!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting small. If you can't get your butt off the couch (believe me, I've been there!) and to the gym, make a deal with yourself that you will get off the couch during every commercial break and do SOMETHING. Anything. I don't care if you walk to the front door and back to the couch. But better yet, so some sit ups, push ups, leg lifts, knee lifts, stretches, whatever, Just do something. Any little movement is good movement. And if you can commit to moving during commercials, eventually you will feel like doing more. Good luck.
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    Take a walk, journal how you are feeling. And lastly, maybe talk to your doctor? You almost sound depressed.

There is so much to be thankful and joyful for. Maybe make a list of those things and focus on that for a while, counting my blessings always makes me feel better...

I'm thankful for a place to live and food to eat and a paycheck to help support my family.

There are lots of things to be happy about... you just have to look for them! :flowerforyou:

Great advice :)
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Been there!!! The best thing you can do when you're feeling down is exercise. It releases endorphins that make you feel better.

:flowerforyou:

This is so very true!! It really helps with mood swings!! Make a challenge to go exercise for 21 straight days with some of your MFP friends thats how I got myself going!!
  • rdale8200
    rdale8200 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've been feeling that way lately myself but I have been forcing myself to exercise and I ALWAYS feel better after. Sometimes I bargain with myself that I will do a shorter work out like 30 minutes instead of 40 or a lighter exercise and then halfway trough I usually feel like I can push myself for more or want to do more exercise. Cheer up! It will be ok and it is normal to get a little down, even a lot down.
  • fosterks
    fosterks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - you have made me feel so much better, and motivated me!! Got to work late tonight, but have booked myself a PT session tomorrow, and back to it!
    Will you all be there again if I feel blue again? :flowerforyou:
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Love this...once you start thinking of things to be thankful for you'll wonder why you were down in the first place...the things on the above list are things that some ppl wish they had but don't...If we have PART of our health we're batting a thousand because we're not laying somewhere dying...that being said, we all feel this way sometimes...even if you don't get to the gym today, you can still get in a good brisk walk, jog, just start out with SOMETHING...even if it's a couple of jumping jacks or something. A good workout is always good for the moral as well as the body...go for the workout rush and I hope you feel better...whatever the problem is, it can and WILL get better...can't rain all the time is what I used to tell myself, then I started to be thankful for the rain! If we don't go thru anything, we can't help anyone else when they're down and we won't have anything to feel victorious about...WHEN you come out of this rut, you will be able to embrace that fact....cheer up and get back on your journey...I wish you much success and happiness on the way!!!!:flowerforyou: