BDD

mbakken90
mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
So I think I may have Body Dysmorphic Disorder. Does anyone else have this? It's really messing me up! Help!!

Replies

• Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    I don't, but here to offer any advice.. Is there any particular part / features? What goes through your mind when you think of them? Is it more of a recent thing or and I hate to ask this, are you just unhappy about something and googled too much info??

Looking briefly at your profile pics, I'd say from the offset - there's nothing to criticize.. Feel free to drop me a message if you'd like to have a chat or through here..
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    I just see my body as SO much bigger then it really is. I've always been like this. I don't know how to get rid of it
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    I've never been diagnosed by anyone but most likely, yea. I used to call out of work because I couldnt leave the house in the morning. I would rather clean up my dogs messes than take her for a walk b/c that meant leaving the house where people would see me (thank goodness we have a backyard now). I don't look in any mirror bigger than a compact, anymore. I would sit infront of the mirror for hours picking, I looked like a heroin addict with the scabs on my face. One second my nose is way too big for my face, then I dont think it's big enough. Or I have fish lips and then they're too thin. My mind's a puzzle, I cant figure out what it's doing from minute to minute.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    I don't know. A lot of people assume I must do but I think I know what I look like, I just don't happen to like it!

If it's bothering you or is extreme you can get help for it.
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    A quick reply, but will send you an email as well, but it's hard to see past an image sometimes... I have a slight opposite in that I think I am thinner than I am. I see myself in a mirror and then a picture and I think they look different. On one hand I see it as a positive - my mind is right in how I want to feel, my body is slowly catching up..

It's about looking at a few aspects and not looking at an overall picture - there was a comment years ago about 'think yourself thin' and I think that can ring true sometimes.

Anyway, as I said I'll drop an email to you, but also check out Wiki as well..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

Judging by the comments, I don't think it's as bad as you might feel, but if it is, there is help out there as well, you are not alone in your thoughts, just remember that.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    hunny most woman are never happy with the way they look! We always ourselves as much more nasty than we really are. I have girlfriends who are thin and i would die to look like them yet they look in the mirror and see fat, or think they could lose a couple pounds. My sister thought she was fatter once she became anorexic than when she was a bit chunkier. I think most of it is in our heads and its a mind over matter thing. I think you need to work on becoming happy! Losing weight isnt always the answer to becoming happy!!! xoxo
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    I think you need to work on becoming happy! Losing weight isnt always the answer to becoming happy!!! xoxo

Ain't that the truth! I was happier before I lost 110lb (now i have to do it aalll over again, thank you pregnancy), now I fear I'll never be that happy again! I think the happy part of my brain was attached to the fat and when the fat went, so did the happy!

So yes, please don't think that losing x amount of weight will make you happy because it may not and you could hurt yourself trying to push more.
This discussion has been closed.